Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Proud Parent
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dogs have started shedding SO badly in the last week or so. Not kidding, there is hair EVERYWHERE. My poor little bissell vacuum can hardly keep up. Any suggestions for hair management?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I have an undercoat rake and an undercoat comb with rotating teeth. Bonnie is shedding quite a bit at the moment as well and I am doing my best to get rid of as much dead udercoat as I can - which means brushing and combing every day, sometimes twice a day. I don't think there is another way to keep the shedding down to a minimum.

·
Gracie's mom and dad
301 Posts

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
Take him to the groomer for a warm bath and have him blown out. It is a great start to getting the coat out. Then just a good brushing each day.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We've had such a mild winter, up until now, that Hank is shedding too. Maybe this cold snap will slow it down.

·
Shoregold
670 Posts
I wouldn't ever use a stipping knife on a golden. It is really bad for the top coat. I would use an Oster rake which is for undercoat.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
When things get really bad, my husband uses his shop vac.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,715 Posts
I use a Shop Vac during heavy shedding times. I have 2 long haired cats who shed like you would not believe. They killed several vacuum before I wiser up and got a Shop Vac. I know it was the cats because most of the hair was fluffly fur that was gray, white, orange, etc. very little golden or yorkie hair in comparision.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts