Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Major is almost 8 months old now and we have noticed he is really shedding alot, more so around his backbone area where his hair is more coarse. Even gently running your fingers along his back causes hair to come out. It doesnt look like his hair is thinning or anything, just a lil worried. I know Goldens do shed alot, just not sure how much is too much. We did change his food for a couple weeks, but ended up going back to what we were giving him (Eukanuba large breed puppy). How concerned should we be about this? Has anyone experienced this? Thanks for any info!

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
That is about the age that Oakly puffed up like a ball of fluff then ....POOF!. He blew his puppy coat. It was then that doghair became another food group in my house. :doh: It didn't last long though and now it is pretty much just normal seasonal shedding.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
8 months is about the time Bayley blew her puppy coat and December is always a heavy shedding time anyway. Sounds all normal and a good regular brushing schedule is all you need. Of course you are talking to someone with dog hair stuck in her laptop keys, LOL.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Just wait til 15 months...my pup is blowing the rest of his puppy coat it seems. After 2 weeks of brushing and bathing it looks like the shedding is a bit more under control today. I keep thinking that losing this much hair, the dog should be bald!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
So far Hank hasn't shed much but I know from owning a golden before that it's only a matter of time. I remember having dust elephants lurking in every corner and when the furnace came on they would float!

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Two of my dogs are exploding hair right now. The lab is worse than the golden because she's black and her hair covers my white kitchen floor. I just vacuumed yesterday, after getting 10 brushes full of hair off from her. I had to vacuum again this morning......

1 - 7 of 7 Posts