Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

We all love our Goldens that shed :), but I'm wondering when they typically shed their puppy coat? We've had our little guy for 2 months (he's 7 months old now) and the last week have noticed a TON more hair floating around the house...and everywhere else for that matter! I wondered if this is the time when he begins to shed his puppy coat...or is it change of seasons? We live in San Francisco so the climate changes aren't as drastic as other parts of the country, but I have no clue!

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
My guy is only 4 months, but I've been wondering this too, as his coat is changing. It's getting curlier along his spine and tail, darker and longer around his neck. However, we live in AZ and neither of his parents had very long coats (due to desert living, perhaps?). I'll be interested in the responses you receive. Thanks for asking!
- Trids

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I would say that being 7 months old he is starting to shed his puppy coat. It will take awhile for the adult coat in but make sure you keep brushing him to help. Bama around that age started looking like he had a line of fake fur going down his back. Adult fur on top and then sides fluffy puppy fur.

·
Registered
1,431 Posts
Buzz was our first Golden. When I noticed the 'other' fur going down his back I didn't
know what the heck was going on. I called the breeder and she told me the pup she
kept was still fuzzy all over but that it was his adult coat coming in. It looked like what BeauShel said, "fake fur going down the back...".

Cooki

Buzz
Clover

·
My real name is Mercy
455 Posts
I would say that being 7 months old he is starting to shed his puppy coat. It will take awhile for the adult coat in but make sure you keep brushing him to help. Bama around that age started looking like he had a line of fake fur going down his back. Adult fur on top and then sides fluffy puppy fur.
Carol, is this what you were talking about? It's not a great picture, but going straight down Max's back is new coat coming in, but it's SWIRLY! I've never seen anything like it. His tail is also getting a curl on the tip and parts of the back of his legs are getting curly, too. I'm just wondering if this is similar to what Bama had... :wavey:

Thanks, (btw, this is his favorite position lately)
- Trids

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts