Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've noticed more and more fur around the house lately. Brady is shedding like crazy! His fur feels a little thin and it's got an uneven pattern similar to when he was losing his puppy fur. Is this normal shedding to prepare his winter coat?

The only other issue we've had is a yeast problem in his ears. He's on some ear medication now and the problem is gone. In reading posts here it sounds like these symptoms could be related to thyroid issues, yet we were at the vet for his ears and they did not suggest this but rather a food allergy.

What are the chances that a 2-year-old dog could have a thyroid issue? He seems normal otherwise...

THanks in advance for your thoughts!

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Well for each dog "normal" can vary, so it may not be a sign of anything. However you are correct that it could be related to his thyroid and it can start at any time in their life. So you may want to run a throid panel on him to ease your mind.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Jasper and Jasmine are shedding like crazy right now! It's more noticeable with Jasmine's hair because it's black. I brush and brush and get a ton of hair off from them each time. I brush Danny and get nothing!

I will say that Jasper was diagnosed with hypothyroidism at 2 1/2 and he had started showing symptoms several months before he was diagnosed. They were somewhat subtle and had added up until I asked the vet to run a full panel on him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.