Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone

I am thinking about getting a second pup (I have a black lab now) - I would just love to get a Golden I was even lucky enough to find an excellent breeder in my area. I have run into a snag my friends are telling me not to get one just for one reason - Golden's fur - they are telling me that I will be constantly picking up hair from everything EVERYDAY because Goldens shed non stop - what are your thoughts ?

Regards
Mia

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Yes, they shed- alot. Then again, so do labs. I had labs and goldens at the same time and honestly believe there was more lab fur then golden fur.

Reactions: G-bear

·
Kristy
9,397 Posts
You have a Lab and you're worried about shedding?????? Depending on what your floors, carpets and furniture colors are you may notice the tumbleweeds more. My hardwoods are medium brown and I have a collie and a Golden, they both have light undercoat that shows up big time. When it was just one dog I could get away with not vacuuming every single day, with two dogs it really could be done every day. Golden hair shows up on black pants, black sweaters, black socks etc. in a way you may not have noticed with a black dog. I love having two dogs so much though that I just vacuum pretty much every day and when I don't have time, it bugs me, but they're worth it :)

·
Registered
833 Posts
Having had both short hair dogs and long, I prefer the long golden hair because of the tumbleweeds!

Short hair gets on and (in my opinion) INTO everything... those little hairs managed to weave themselves into other fabrics. I feel that the golden hair "floats" so it's easier to get off your clothes and easier to get up. Yes, usually right after I've put the vacuum away, there is a tumbleweed somewhere (but we do have 3 fuzzy dogs) but the fact that it collects in a tumbleweed I feel it's easier to grab and get rid of!

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
With a lot of daily brushing, they still shed a lot. But, my sister has a lab and he sheds like crazy, too, except it is shorter hair. They're 100% worth the hair! :)

·
Super Moderator
1,287 Posts
I have 5 Goldens. There's enough hair shed in my house that I could make a coat for a cocker spaniel. Every. Day.

But, I find that Golden Retriever hair tends to clump together as it sheds. This makes it easy to vacuum. I vacuum our regularly used rooms (bedroom, living room, and kitchen) every day. Takes maybe 15 minutes.

·
Premium Member
1,719 Posts
I've had a lab and I have had two goldens, and the lab was hands down, no question, worse than either of the goldens. When the lab walked around the house, you could literally see the hair falling off her. When I brushed her, I would get piles and piles of hair, enough to make another dog, and just when I thought I'd got it all, I'd find another unbrushed patch and it would all start again. My golden sheds a bit - we have to vacuum regularly or live with little balls of fur in corners - but nothing like the lab. Both my goldens have been from field lines, though, with short "wash and wear" coats. I don't know if this makes a difference.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I love the "I don't shed" one.... that's what I'm saying for now on about dog hair in my house. They are just magical fibers of love and joy!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I have three dogs. A black and tan coonhound, a golden retriever cross and a golden retriever. The coonhound sheds the worst and I find the hair from a short haired dog to be a lot harder to clean off of the furniture than the hair from the other two dogs. Jack's hair seems to embed itself into the fabric much more so than the dog hair from the golden and golden mix whose hair just lies on top of everything. Get a golden. Invest in a really good vacuum cleaner. Life will be good:)

·
Registered
316 Posts
I am so glad the dogs (toy poodle, jack russell and golden retriever) are mainly on the main floor of the house where I have hardwood. Using a swiffer daily is easier than lugging my vacuum out every day. Though I do have carpet in the basement and second floors, which is vacuumed weekly.

·
Registered
296 Posts
We sold our upholstered couches and got leather ones a few months after Parker joined us. Makes it 100% easier to remove fur from them. I vacuum the high traffic areas and couple of times a week run the hand held vacuum on the couches (he isn't allowed there but sneaks up when he thinks he isn't being watched:)) Vacuuming is a part of my routine and I don't think much of it anymore. Get a Golden, their infectious personality makes up for all the fur!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Shedding Goldens

Definitely agree with everyone else, a leather couch and a good vacuum, lol! Frequent home grooming sessions with tools like the Paws Pamper (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00U204CD4) works wonders also, this is what we use at our shop. Good to see people researching and planning beforehand! It's like a snow storm in the shop when we are done with that one in the back, lol!

Attachments

·
Registered
12,720 Posts
I would rather pick up hair from a Lab than a Golden said no person ever ;)
THIS!! 100%.

I can honestly say, hair is not a big issue in my house. Yes, I change my clothes as soon as I get home, and I brush my dog most days, but I only vacuum once a week. Looking around the room I am in right now, I see no fur (except the mound of it sitting beside me on the couch). I found there was fur everywhere in my sister's house when she had a black lab. It's a different kind of fur - falls flat, gets woven into the rug and furniture. The odd week when I am super busy ad wind up going two weeks without vacuuming, the Golden fur just tumbleweeds itself off into corners or under the table. At that point, I notice it, but that is two weeks worth (Yes, gross. Thankfully, doesn't happen often!)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts