Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My "new mother" traits were in full effect this morning.

Sydney and I were playing fetch in the park, she was on leash (20 ft training) but I wasn't holding it. Another dog we know, but she doesn't really care about, came into the park and she ran over to visit. No big deal. I started going over as well, and Sydney started going toward the woods a bit. I called her, gave "come" command and she looked at me.

Then she bolted. Into the woods.

Running is my least favorite thing. I'm horrible at it. So trying to catch her was really difficult. I'm screaming her name, starting to freak out. Beyond the woods are roads, so I had visions of losing her in a neighbourhood and her getting hit by a car or just lost.

The other dog and her owner helped run after her and got her into their vision. She finally got sidetracked with a squirrel and we got close enough that we could grab her lead.

I didn't scold her, because I didn't want her to think I was scolding her for letting us get her. Was this the right decision?

She seemed to know once we got home that I wasn't happy, and she was very quiet for the rest of the morning.

As a side note, after I found her I fell down a ravine and sprained my ankle while trying to get out of the woods. Awesome morning. :)

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
You did the right thing, IMO, by not scolding her when you caught her.

Sorry about your ankle. ;( Glad she is ok--hope you are very soon.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Guess there is no more 'off leash/dangling leash' time for her until recall is improved. Bayne is on a 50' rope even in our yard so I'm always able to step on it if he decides something else looks more interesting than the activity we're currently doing. He's getting better though.

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
You did the right thing. When I was teaching classes I would tell my students even if you spend an hour chasing and calling your dog, if he comes to you the last two feet you praise him. Now you can praise him with every dirty cuss word you want as long as you do it in an "I'm so happy with you' tone. (And you shouldn't be calling him to come over and over if he isn't responding.) If he doesn't come to you and you catch him, never punish as, like you said, you don't want being finally caught paired with punishment.

·
Registered
25 Posts
We had some lawn guys leave a gate open (one we NEVER use and which is out of sight of the door Finn goes in and out of). I was calling him to come in and he didn't, which is unusual. Once I realized what had happened I panicked and I'm pretty sure anyone within a 20 mile radius could have heard be screaming his name. He was no more that 10 feet into our neighbor's yard, but still! I suppose something like this reminds us not to let panic take over and to try and remember our best training. Sounds like you did great for such a scary event-hope your ankle feels better soon too and glad for the happy ending!!

·
Supreme Member
4,621 Posts
My "new mother" traits were in full effect this morning.

Sydney and I were playing fetch in the park, she was on leash (20 ft training) but I wasn't holding it. Another dog we know, but she doesn't really care about, came into the park and she ran over to visit. No big deal. I started going over as well, and Sydney started going toward the woods a bit. I called her, gave "come" command and she looked at me.

Then she bolted. Into the woods.

Running is my least favorite thing. I'm horrible at it. So trying to catch her was really difficult. I'm screaming her name, starting to freak out. Beyond the woods are roads, so I had visions of losing her in a neighbourhood and her getting hit by a car or just lost.

The other dog and her owner helped run after her and got her into their vision. She finally got sidetracked with a squirrel and we got close enough that we could grab her lead.

I didn't scold her, because I didn't want her to think I was scolding her for letting us get her. Was this the right decision?

She seemed to know once we got home that I wasn't happy, and she was very quiet for the rest of the morning.

As a side note, after I found her I fell down a ravine and sprained my ankle while trying to get out of the woods. Awesome morning. :)
I'm sorry all this happened but I am glad she is back with you.
I suggest when you are physically up to it, enroll her in an Obedience class. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Funny thing is... we just started obedience last night. :)

Since she is good with basic commands in a controlled environment we started basic agility which has intermediate obedience + some fun tricks in it.

We're practicing a lot.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
Sorry for your scare. It has happened to me several times before. I still practice recall often with my boys with lots of high value treats. I feel it is best to only use the "Come" command when you are pretty darned sure they are going to come. If you are not sure they are going to come then use "here", their name or some other word. Once they are heading to you use the come command.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I'm not sure if it would help but in this situation if she doesn't obey "come" you could try another command like "sit". I've had it happen to Molly that she's been ahead of me on a walk and I've called her to come but she wouldn't, so I told her to sit and sure enough she sat her bottom down, I then told her to wait and she waited there patiently whilst I could up and put the leash on her. Ideally you want to have a strong recall but if you find yourself in a situation perhaps try another command like this and it might help. Sorry about your ankle, I hope it doesn't take too long before you're feeling better.

·
Bear & Lyra
109 Posts
What a scare...

You definitely did the right thing in not scolding her when she returned. It's so difficult to hold the frustration in though! For some reason what has worked to date with Bear is a "this way" command. We taught him it off lead by doing lots of changes of direction while he was following us at heel and it has really stuck for him and he finds it fun. So if he bolts now, or is too far ahead of us on walks, we yell "this way!" and turn on our heels going the opposite direction. To begin with we really hammed it up, waving our arms in the air and acting like idiots which got his attention away from whatever it was he had been doing. He then comes running back to us pretty sharpish, possibly to make us stop as we're embarrassing him in front of the other dogs! :eek: Having said that we did go through an adolescent phase when he apparently went totally deaf and forgot all his training completely and would last be seen heading across a field at 100mph. Fortunately this appears to have only been a phase as he's now 2 and he's pretty reliable. Hope your ankle is better really soon.

·
Remy's Mom!
1,797 Posts
So glad that she is safe! When we were in puppy class we played a game where two people stood about 20 ft apart facing each other and we called the dog back and forth praising and treating every time they ran up. We didn't even make them sit when they got to us, it was all about the recall. Then once we were doing well at 20 ft apart, we spread apart further.

They'll probably show you this in your class, but I figured I'd put it out here so you could get started early :). It seemed to really help Remy!

·
Dakota Katie River's Mom
1,684 Posts
One thing I do with a dog who isn't coming is to keep talking to it, saying it's name. If it looks at me I tell it 'Good Girl!' or boy as the case may be. If they take a step towards me I do the same and depending on the dog, I start to walk away. This part is dependent on knowing your dog.

·
Loving memory of Phoebe
212 Posts
For extra peace of mind - In addition to dog tags and a tracking chip, I got one of these capsules online - it has address, email and phone numbers on a note inside.

Our Phoebe loses her mind when she gets free - and it's very hard to get her back. She's way too fast to catch and deliberately disobeys in defiance.

Earlier this year she took off into woods and was only caught when she got boxed in by fallen trees.

The last time, we got her back by getting a soccer ball out to play with - that quickly got her attention! We'll use this tactic again.

BOTH TIMES it was caused by the gardeners leaving gates open. We now triple check them before letting her out.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts