Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We left our little girl out of her crate last night to sleep with us in the bedroom. We woke up at 6 this morning to her throwing up in bed. She didn't have much in her stomach at this time. She threw up again a little bit. I fed her around 8 (don't know if i should have done this) and within a half hour she threw up twice on my couch. AND she just threw up in her crate as im writing this. I'm really worried about her, she's never gotten sick before. She doesn't seem to be in any sort of pain or anything like that. Theres nothing she could have gotten into in the bedroom. Is there anything I can do for her?

·
Registered
953 Posts
When this happens I usually take her out for a short walk and see how she does with that, if she is happy and somewhat energetic and curious I don't worry to much and let it run the course. Keeping an eye on her. Feed boiled white rice and boiled chicken and it usually resolves. But lethargic and vomit/diareaha - not drinking would be cause for a vet call/visit.
Good luck hope it is minor.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
JayBen

JayBen

Does she have the runs, too?
To be on the safe side, call the vet and see what they say.
Could she have eaten something outside?

She could have eaten something while you were asleep.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
When this happens I usually take her out for a short walk and see how she does with that, if she is happy and somewhat energetic and curious I don't worry to much and let it run the course. Keeping an eye on her. Feed boiled white rice and boiled chicken and it usually resolves. But lethargic and vomit/diareaha - not drinking would be cause for a vet call/visit.
Good luck hope it is minor.
I just took her out, she pooped normal. She saw the neighbor and got all excited zoomieing around. It seems like she feels ok. She is lazy today but thats not abnormal for a saturday morning. Plus she probably didn't' sleep as well last night as she usually does in her crate. The only thing I can think of is I gave her a couple new treats last night. Maybe they didn't agree with her.

Karen- I don't think she got anything outside. Shes always on a leash and I watch her the whole time. Shes never out alone.

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Jay

Jay

Just keep a close eye on her.
Our pup crawled under our bed at night and chewed the electrical cord and one of my hubby's shoes, years ago! It's a wonder he wasn't electrocuted or that it didn't start a fire.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just a little update- She hasn't thrown up since i last posted. She seems her normal self and is not acting funny at all. I will keep a close eye on her. Should I feed her some rice tonight for dinner or just her regular food? Also is there any other signs i should be on the look out for if she did possibly eat something she shouldn't have?

·
Registered
994 Posts
A call to the vet would be a good idea, as there could be a number of things causing this. Some serious, others not so much. But a vet diagnosis is certainly better than what we can provide on here.

That said, when Cassie had similar symptoms, I let her fast for a day, to let her digestive system recuperate. After that, I started feeding her plain rice, with bits of boiled plain chicken. I do that for a day or two, and then gradually mix her kibble back in. (much to her chagrin... she loves rice!)

That she has normal personality is a good sign. Make sure to keep a close eye on her, and how she acts. And of course, keep an eye on the poop.

Speedy recovery :)

·
Registered
328 Posts
What color is the vomit? How often has she vomitted? Is it increasing in frequency or seems to be occasional? Is she eating and drinking? Is she throwing up after eating/drinking? does she have fever? probably best keeping away solid food for now, and make sure she drinks enough water, you can boil a cup of rice in 2-3qt of water and give her to drink that to soothe the digestive tract, perhaps adding a small chunk of chicken to boil too if she isn't drinking water (make sure it cools down completely). It can be nothing, but if it is increasing in frequency and happens soon after drinking water - even if the discharge is just water you may want to consult a vet

·
Registered
911 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
***UPDATE***

About an hour and a half ago I took her out. She pooped this "rope" of cloth fibers. It wasn't a sock or anything like that, just ropey and long. (about 9-10 inches varying in thickness from a single strand to quarter sized. It didn't want to completely come out so I had to pull the last bit out. I didn't have to pull hard or anything. I called the E-vet and told them everything. They said to feed her some food and see if she throws up. So far so good. We even went for a walk around the block. I know I didn't think she was acting weird this morning, I just thought she was lazy. She is running around like a mad dog now, playing like her normal self. If anything seems abnormal she's going for x-rays.

I noticed the blanket in her crate had a big piece missing...wow. She must have chewed this up and ate it within the last day or so. I feel terrible for this. I should have known to not leave her with a blanket. I guess it was just by coincidence that she was sleeping in our room last night. My poor little girl. I just pray that she's ok...

...she is currently zoomieing around with her bone in her mouth and trying to bite my wife.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Oh my goodness, what they won't eat.:bowl: Glad the vet's on it. She must have had nasty indigestion:doh:

·
Registered
994 Posts
Ohhh... poor thing. One thing I do when I'm looking out for things like this is to give lots of belly rubs. Cassie loves it, but it gives me a chance to check for any sensitivity in the stomach areas.

Hopefully what came out was the last of it...

·
Registered
802 Posts
***UPDATE***

About an hour and a half ago I took her out. She pooped this "rope" of cloth fibers. It wasn't a sock or anything like that, just ropey and long. (about 9-10 inches varying in thickness from a single strand to quarter sized. It didn't want to completely come out so I had to pull the last bit out. I didn't have to pull hard or anything. I called the E-vet and told them everything. They said to feed her some food and see if she throws up. So far so good. We even went for a walk around the block. I know I didn't think she was acting weird this morning, I just thought she was lazy. She is running around like a mad dog now, playing like her normal self. If anything seems abnormal she's going for x-rays.

I noticed the blanket in her crate had a big piece missing...wow. She must have chewed this up and ate it within the last day or so. I feel terrible for this. I should have known to not leave her with a blanket. I guess it was just by coincidence that she was sleeping in our room last night. My poor little girl. I just pray that she's ok...

...she is currently zoomieing around with her bone in her mouth and trying to bite my wife.
My last golden did that as a puppy - ate parts of the comforter we put in his crate. Luckily he pooped it out and suffered no long term or serious ill effects. Hope your puppy continues to do well!

·
Registered
253 Posts
My friends pup started throwing up one night last year. She's been with her all night and she was certain he hadn't gotten in to anything. It kept up for a while and she went to do some investigating... upstairs (away from where they'd been all day) she found one of those huge easter eggs torn open all over the floor. When she went to the washroom for 2 mins, the dog must have ran straight up there, ate the chocolate and zipped back down to the living room before she returned. Dogs are swift and sneaky!! :)

Glad to hear she's feeling better. If she starts up again, call the vet - if nothing else, you'll get peace of mind!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts