Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Lucy is almost 6 months old now, and just got her spay Friday.
These past few days, we've seen an increase in jumping up on people, a habit she got out of.. or so we thought. Also, she seems reluctant to listen to commands, even "sit" or "down" and she's always listened at home before. Mouthiness is also something that came back... she got into her old ways again and started trailing after feet, attempting to nip them. :no:

Is this due to the fact she's not had enough exercise recently (still recovering from spay.. and it just snowed here too, how I wish she could run around in that..)
or is it something else? Is she entering her "teenage years"? Ah, the frustration!! :doh: Any advice is much appreciated!!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both! Are there any tips for going through this stage? Anything that would help?

On another note, I hope everyone had a wonderful holiday :)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Lucy is probably starting her teenage stage. Dogs need some maintenence training through out their lives. What ever training you gave her for each of the problem areas to begin with probably just need to be consistently reinforced with lots of praise and rewards for the correct behavior. She probably is a little stressed after having the spay and not enough activity so since she can't really have all out exercise to burn some of it off play training games more often each day for short periods. The mental stimulation tires them out also.

Lucy is a beauty.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hang in there. This is just a combination of her teenage years with inability to get enough exercise. Just keep up with the regular training and these days will also get by soon. As solinvictus posted, some maintenance training will be needed but Lucy will be her charming self again. Good luck! And Lucy is a beautiful girl! You must be so proud.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you, this forum is a huge help!
Do any of you have suggestions on how to keep Lucy's mind in shape? Games, tricks?
I've run out of things to teach her... we will be enrolling her in obedience classes shortly, to improve her behaviour. :)

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
I don't know what Lucy already knows .........

Clean up - putting her toys away
Hand Target - touching your hand
Stand
Back up

Find it... get a box (hide the treat in it and have her find it/add another box, when she gets it and finds the treat in one box of the two add more boxes.

Go to mat
say your prayers
Give
drop it
leave it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts