Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
More than cutting on food , I would first of all check with a nutritionist the calcium / potassium ratio of the dog food brand.change I believe the concern is not shall be how big she is but the speed rate of her growth. Quick growth together with intensive exercise can lead to other skeletal problems including hips. By the way, maybe her growth speed will decrease which happens and you will have a much smaller dog than the assumed 90 lbs.Better to talk to a nutritionist than a vet.

·
Premium Member
17,931 Posts
Did the bag of food tell you to feed 8 cups a day or did you feel like she was hungry? The bag will always say feed more than they need because they want you to buy more, more often! I'm glad you are cutting it back. You should feed specific meals, not just leave the food down all day (I don't know if that's what you do.) Split the total amount of food per day into breakfast and dinner. I think you could move it slowly down to 4 cups per day and still satisfy her.

She's a beautiful pup.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Did the bag of food tell you to feed 8 cups a day or did you feel like she was hungry? The bag will always say feed more than they need because they want you to buy more, more often! I'm glad you are cutting it back. You should feed specific meals, not just leave the food down all day (I don't know if that's what you do.) Split the total amount of food per day into breakfast and dinner. I think you could move it slowly down to 4 cups per day and still satisfy her.

She's a beautiful pup.
I was leaving the food out for her, but I do realize that was a mistake. And I was feeding her more because I thought she was hungry. I messed up.

·
Super Moderator
3,568 Posts
I purposely underfeed my pups. They have feeding times. Sounds like you might be free feeding which I thought had gone out of style. I purposely want to prevent fast growth.

·
Registered
603 Posts
I was leaving the food out for her, but I do realize that was a mistake. And I was feeding her more because I thought she was hungry. I messed up.
We all mess up from time to time......It happens.

My Lab/Border Collie was free fed when weaned by her farm parents, but changing her to a regular schedule was relatively easy..AS LONG AS I PUT THE EARPLUGS IN! :ROFLMAO:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts