Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
MacKenzie is now about 10 months old, and was spayed back in November. She and Brady are best of friends.

She is trained to ring a bell to go outside when she needs to go potty, and will I think at times ring it to control us to go outside.

In the past month, she has peed on my bed about 5 times, three times in the past week. At first I was thinking we did not get her outside in time, my bedroom is right off the main entrance, but now I am thinking it may be a dominance issue. She is not going anywhere else, and can hold it all night long in her crate.

She is crated at night in my daughters room, while Brady sleeps with us in the bed. Before we crate her, it is very common for me, my daughters and both dogs (maybe even a cat) to be on the bed watching TV. The dogs will either be chewing their bones, cuddling, or sometimes wrestle with each other.

Is this some type of dominance issue? Between her and Brady? With me or my husband?

Any ideas on how to break this? Thank goodness I was planning on buying a new mattress in the near future.

Thanks!

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
My childhood dog only did that when we went away and left her home with the sisters. She peed right on my Mom's bed. She did it one other time, too. It seemed to be directed at my Mom and her being separated longer than the normal work day, but who knows.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My childhood dog only did that when we went away and left her home with the sisters. She peed right on my Mom's bed. She did it one other time, too. It seemed to be directed at my Mom and her being separated longer than the normal work day, but who knows.
Yes, my childhood dog did it too when we left him alone.

MacKenzie is never home alone, my husband right now is not working. She actually peed right in front of him the other day.

I try to keep that door shut, but kids are always opening it. She is trained not to go upstairs to the other bedrooms, and the bedroom she sleeps in is in the basement. She goes in her crate, before she would think of jumping on that bed.

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
Is she peeing while lying down, while she is already lying on the bed (or has been for a while)? Or jumping up there just to pee, and peeing while standing up?

The former would sound like it could be a UTI issue (not realizing she has to pee until it's too late, or pee coming out when she is really tired). Oscar has had this problem several times on HIS dog bed, though never our bed... but he is never up there in the evening which is when he is sleepy. We think his is some kind of bladder issue.

The latter sounds to me more like a behavioral issue if she is obviously being deliberate and not making any effort to go towards/near the door.

Hope you sort it out!! :(

·
Banned
21 Posts
A few years ago, one of my cats began to suddenly urinate on my bed. I initially thought that it was in protest to the fact that we had brought a new cat into the mix. When he didn't let up, we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a nasty UTI. I felt so awful.

The vet said that animals will often urinate in "forbidden places" (such as our beds) to signal to us that something is wrong.

I would definitely get your pup checked out to rule out an infection/problem, if you haven't already.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
A few years ago, one of my cats began to suddenly urinate on my bed. I initially thought that it was in protest to the fact that we had brought a new cat into the mix. When he didn't let up, we took him to the vet and he was diagnosed with a nasty UTI. I felt so awful.

The vet said that animals will often urinate in "forbidden places" (such as our beds) to signal to us that something is wrong.

I would definitely get your pup checked out to rule out an infection/problem, if you haven't already.

My Spotticat did that! I hope that you figure out why she's doing it and get her to stop very soon!!

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
"Dominance" would be about the control of resources...if she wanted the bed...peeing on it would not be a good way to do that...most dogs don't want to lie where they eliminated (..and if they do/will...you've got another set of problems on your hands!).

Check out the AVSAB position statement on punishment:
http://www.avsabonline.org/avsabonl...Statements/Combined_Punishment_Statements.pdf

Definitely do a vet visit.

My mix (..who doesn't mind lying where she's eliminated...she's makes a great pet *sarcasm*!) does at least seek out certain surfaces if she has more freedom in the house (...not often..imagine that!). If your dog thinks peeing on the floor is bad...the obvious option is the bed!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts