Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maddie had a grooming appointment this morning. I took her to a place she's been before but not the regular place she goes to. Well she wasn't hesitant to go in the door but when it came time to have the groomer take her she put on the brakes and did NOT want to go with the girl. She looked at me with a look that said "please don't leave me here Mom":( I felt so bad.

This is very unusual behavior for her. This groomer has a small area you walk into but everything else they do is behind walls so I don't know what the set up is back there or anything. The place she normally goes is wide open and she seems less anxious. Am I reading too much into this?

Also, how long does your dog normally stay at the groomers? Our regular place and this place seem to need her there all day. Today they told me they'd like to keep her till 4:30 cause she was particularly hairy, she was dropped off at 8:30.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Oh that would break my heart too! Our local groomer was the same set up with having the dog stay there all day...I didn't like the idea of Deacon having to wait his turn in a cage all day so we have a mobile groomer that comes to the house now. It is SO convenient and Deacon doesn't hesitate at all to go out with her on the leash and hop right into the van. Maybe you have one of these mobile groomers in your area? They come on evenings and weekends if that works better for your schedule too.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm a new Gr owenr and highly sensetivie to anything my dog tells me so I wouldnt have left her at all.
I believe my dog can sense a bad vibe. Why not do the mobile groomer or do what I ndid and buy one of the booster baths, I've groomed my own dog three times now( but take her to the vet while I stay to have her nails done as I'm not quite comfotable yet having nto do it and I never have to leave her side during any of this.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I groom my dogs myself because I won't leave them at the groomers all day. and that seems to be the norm. My friends think I am way overprotective , well too bad!

My dogs may not look like show dogs but they don't have to sit in a cage all day or catch kennel cough or who knows what else from other dogs.

I thought about the mobile groomer but heard a horror story from a friend who used one so I don't do that either.

Selka is ten yrs old and Gunner has anxiety issues. I'm not doing anything that would put them at risk.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
At my shop, both my groomers only keep the dogs a max. of 2 1/2 hours. Tops! Now if the dog is very matted or if there's more work to do, we don't schedule any other dogs when that happens, so the dog that requires more time gets all the attention. So in turn, it doesn't have to stay as long. All dogs are taken on two potty breaks and get water at all times.

I wouldn't have it any other way in my store.

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
That would break my heart too!

I don't take Scout to the groomers (wish I could) but I have taken foster dogs to the groomers. Hoosier was extremely stinky and was pretty matted up when I took him in. I don't think he ever had a bath in his life. I was able to stay with him and it took her about two hours total and she did everything except his teeth. They even dried him off 100%because it was -14 out that day.

I would ask them why they need her all day, they may be able to get her done quicker. Also, my sister takes her dogs in before work and picks them up after just because it's easier for her. Some groomers just assume that's what people want.

Unless she is not cooperating I would say two hours is plenty of time.

·
Missing my Boys...
3,980 Posts
Hi, I was fortunate enough to find a groomer that has her business on her property.
I have been uning her for 10 yrs, she only does two to three dogs at once and they are not crated. My Goldens love to go to be groomed, she does Frankie on the floor becauce he has hip dysplasia, I usually hang around while she does my kids, it is like ROMPER ROOM for my dogs and we get to chat about things. Maybe you can ask around about a private groomer, I found out about mine at our vets office.
Maddie is letting you know that something is wrong, Goldens are very intelligent, try to find another groomer where she is comfortable, and if you find a new one ask if you can stay while she is being groomed. Hugs to Maddie

·
Chantilly Goldens
3,381 Posts
I don't go to the groomers but I have worked in 2 shops. Hardly any dog wants to be left there ecspecially pets that are not used to be bathed exept for 3 or 4 times a year. Generallly, the back is closed for saftey purposes. I would not worry about it too much to be honest.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
PLEASE know your groomers well. Thinking I was doing the very best for Cody (springer) since he couldn't be left at a groomer due to AI issues, I arranged for the mobile groomers to come. Thought this would be great... he was the first am appt and I was assured that the van would be totally cleaned/disenfected, he would be in and out and here right at the house. Well, first off they completely took his coat down... not at all a springer cut..... no feathers, ears cut short, etc. However, the tragic part was that by the next morning he was wailing in pain and couldn't even move his back end without that god awful scream. Ran him to the vet and they found he had a ruptured ( he termed it "exploding") disc in his lower back. He was quizzing me as to what had gone on the day before. When I told him, he just shook his head sadly. He said he would never advise leaving a dog where you couldn't see exactly what they were doing. In TX at least, there is no regulation of groomers. I was heartbroken at what I had done....we had all worked so hard to get this little guy in the best health he could be (after surviving AIHA) and then look what I did. As you can see, I still beat myself up about it. Luckily, after several weeks he recovered, but it was a very very painful (for him and me) experience. He may not be the most beautifully groomed springer around, but I do his ears and feet myself. Every once in a blue moon I'll trim his skirt and brisket, but that's it.

·
now Mom to Kiwi
2,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just waiting for the call to say she can be picked up. She does only get groomed about 3x a year so I have a while before I have to decide what to do for next time. Some of the stories you've shared make me wish I could groom her myself, but even just trimming her furry feet in between grooming sessions is a feat for me.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I do most of Ostey and Sampson's grooming myself, but 3-4 times a year I take Ostey in to get groomed, partly because he likes it and partly because his coat can get to be too much for me. Sampson I don't really have to take to the groomer, his coat is thinner and shorter and easier to maintain, but I did take him in for the first time about 3 weeks ago, and since Ostey was with him he did not seem to mind it. When I need a groom done quicker (and cheaper) I go to place in town where I live, he does a decent job and is only a couple blocks away. He schedules appointments one at time, so the longest a dog has to wait is until their owner comes to pick them up. My two take 2 hours each, so when the went in together it was a four hour wait. When I have the time and money though, I drive an hour away to go to PetSmart, that is Ostey favorite place to get groomed. I'm not sure how long he has to wait for his turn, but they usually take 3-4 1/2 hours with him.

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
My parents take their golden Wesley to the groomer and he stays for about 6 hours, but he loves it there. It's like doggie preschool. The dogs are loose behind a gate in the shop so they can play together with toys and hang out. He gets really excited when he gets there and is hesitant to leave when it's time to go home.

I would listen to Maddie. If she doesn't want to be there it must be because something about their process is distressing to her. But it could be anything - a nick to a nail, the inner ear hair pulling (which I don't understand - it's got to hurt!), fear of the dryer, etc. You might also ask the groomer if she noticed that Maddie was anxious or unhappy about any part of the procedure. It could be a simple as asking them not to pull the ear hair out.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I do my own grooming. But, I would never pull the hair out of their ears. Maybe trim them....but dang pulling fur has to hurt! :yuck:

I rather groom them myself. It gives you bonding time. You get to feel them up for any type of lumps or bumbs. I do have trust issues on some groomers....I have seen some Goldens shaven or just a bad looking trim....and I would have a fit. I have seen a few of my neigbors Goldens shaved...grrr! I also know that some dogs have died from heat stroke. I know their are many good groomers..... But, heck I can do them myself and it saves money (I have 3 Goldens)

Desiree

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I do my own grooming. But, I would never pull the hair out of their ears. Maybe trim them....but dang pulling fur has to hurt! :yuck:

I rather groom them myself. It gives you bonding time. You get to feel them up for any type of lumps or bumbs. I do have trust issues on some groomers....I have seen some Goldens shaven or just a bad looking trim....and I would have a fit. I have seen a few of my neigbors Goldens shaved...grrr! I also know that some dogs have died from heat stroke. I know their are many good groomers..... But, heck I can do them myself and it saves money (I have 3 Goldens)

Desiree
I agree. I do the girls... feet, nails, ears and feathers when needed. They get bathed weekly. Goldens should never be shaved. Their fur actually helps protect them from heat !!! I, too, like having my hands give them a good going over to feel for lumps, bumps, sores, etc.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts