Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morgan, my 11 month old, has been obsessed with chasing chipmunks in our fenced in yard. They seem to be quite active right now as they get ready for winter. Suddenly on a walk she ran after a chippy and caught it. I tried to get her to drop it, which she did for me 3 times. But everytime I tried to get her away from it she would put it back in her mouth. Finally I got close enough to open her mouth and she decided to swallow it! I was amazed!

Then I got worried.. what will happen to her tummy! she has been eating and playing just fine since this afternoon when it happened.

Wondering if anyone else has had this happen?

Advice is always welcome.
Thanks

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,279 Posts
Most likely she will pass it without any problems, she may have some loose stools though.
If she gets sick or has diarrhea, call your Vet.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
She'll probably be fine. She might have some loose stools. If she starts having a lot of diarrhea, or vomiting, I would take her to the vet for x-rays to make sure she doesn't have an obstruction.

My boyfriend's lets his pharaoh hounds hunt and they eat birds all the time (like big ones) and they do just fine. Its totally gross.

·
Registered
21,054 Posts
In about 3 weeks start looking for evidence of tapeworm, you will see "grains of rice" in the fecal material, or even on her around her butt. Otherwise, she'll be just fine!

·
Ingrid, Now Mom to Brisby
1,111 Posts
LOL....I am sure she will be fine. This is what dogs would do in the wild.

My Springer years ago caught a bird in mid low flight and swallowed it when I asked her to drop it...I was panic stricken and called the vet. He just laughed at me and told me the above. Do watch for any signs of GI distress, however I am sure all will be good.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
My Bikini is a master squirrel catcher-
I think of squirrels as large rats and they gross me totally out.
She eats them whole.

I probably don't need to say she gets dewormed more than anyone else at my house....
it's part of my 'morning after' routine when I see that she's eaten one. Again.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
wow! that would gross me out too. Not to be graphic but want to understand... does it come out whole?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts