Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Please do not shave your golden. Like many have said a good groomer can get out mats without having to shave him/her. Please take your golden to a groomer and just ask if they will have to do a shave. If they say yes, then take your dog somewhere else. Some should be able to groom without doing a shave. We brush Neo everyday and never get mats. All it takes is a few minutes worth of brushing and you can hopefully avoid any major matting.

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
PLEASE DON'T SHAVE YOUR GOLDEN!! There are so many negative things to doing that, and nothing positive! That hair does protect them from the heat, plus the rising amount of skin cancer being found in various breeds. This just boosts your risk of sunburn and cancer as well.
If you just run a brush through them daily, it keeps them matte free, and the hair down as well. With a Golden there definitely is upkeep and I make sure that is one of the things I stress so much when I sell one of my puppies. That, if you don't want any hair....this is NOT the breed for you.

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Please take your golden to a groomer and just ask if they will have to do a shave. If they say yes, then take your dog somewhere else.
This is very good advice!! No credible groomer would actually shave a Golden!

·
Humankind. Be both.
7,650 Posts
With the right grooming tools and daily brushing, you'll hardly notice the shedding. Get yourself an undercoat rake or a Furminator, a pin brush and a slicker brush. I personally rake, pin brush and then finish with the slicker.

·
16,000 Posts
I thought too frequent bathing dried out their skin and was to be avoided. I am confused!

All the top winning dogs whose photos you see and who you watch on television with the gorgeous, shiny, thick flowing coats are bathed at LEAST once a week, and on show weekends, every day that they are shown. It is an absolute fallicy that it is harmful for the skin and cot - quite the opposite. My dogs are bathed a minimum of once a week. Beautiful, healthy coats.

·
Banned
507 Posts
Last Sunday, I was walking with my dogs at our Doggytrail when a Lady with her 2 dogs come toughts us. I really thought her one Dog was a yellow Lab and wouldn't you know it was a female Golden Retriever shaved down to nothing I mean a German Shorthair Pointer has more hair then that dog. The tail was totaly short. The lady told me, oh she has burrs in the yard and the dog picks it up with it's long fur and she(the dog) likes it better with the short fur. I just thought Lady you are crazy doing that to a pretty golden.:uhoh:

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I bath Amber at least once a week with all the swimming, hiking, and the hundreds of people that we come into contact with. Her coat is incredible, so shiny and sof.

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I had Max shaved at a groomer because he had such baaaad skin infection and I had to administer meds 2 times a day with a medicated bath 2 times a week! He was shaved down to nothing and its been about a month but he is growing in beautifully(and so soft!)!

I have had him "puppy cut" before, and he was adorable. I didn't know it was BAD to shave a golden or I wouldn't have done it without a medical reason. His coat grew back in really fast, and it is as silky and soft as ever. I don't think his coat was damaged or changed at all. He has always had a beautiful coat, but now that I know shaving a golden is bad, you can be sure I won't do it again!

·
Registered
14,284 Posts
I've been bathing Max only when he's really filthy because I really thought I wasn't supposed to do it more often. Well, slap me and call me a dingbat! That's one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much, I learn a lot!

·
Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
479 Posts
Get a Furminator, don't shave the poor things!
Or go to a groomer and tell them you need your Golden to shed less and see what they recommend. IF they recommend shaving... don't walk... RUN to the nearest EXIT!!!!!

I don't know if it helps.... and I don't know what they do because I have never ask.... but Jr sheds much less (almost 0) when he has been to the groomer vs me washing him in the bath tub.

{At the moment.... the groomer has been a weekly event due to my tibia bone cyst surgery.... NO WAY could I do him at current... and IF it were for my Aunt and Nephew helping me out by taking him to the dog salon.... he would be one smelly puppy.)(Puppy.... :lol:... I should have said Horse!!!! :lol:)

21 - 35 of 35 Posts