Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sharlette has had the runs for a few days now and I am taking her to the vet in about an hour. She is eating and drinking just fine but everything is running straight threw her. I switched her food to taste of the wild pacific stream to see if it would help with her poop. It didn't. So to the vet we go. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong asap. she has lost weight. she is so thin. she is 7 weeks and 1 day old and only 3 pounds 15 ounces... she is about 5 pounds under weight. she is playful and doesn't seem sick at all so I am thinking maybe she has Coccidia or Giardia ... But I don't know. I was giving her Endosob Suspension to help with her poops and it did help but as soon as I quit giving it the runs came right back. I will post more after I get back from the vet.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Sharlette has had the runs for a few days now and I am taking her to the vet in about an hour. She is eating and drinking just fine but everything is running straight threw her. I switched her food to taste of the wild pacific stream to see if it would help with her poop. It didn't. So to the vet we go. I hope the vet can figure out what is wrong asap. she has lost weight. she is so thin. she is 7 weeks and 1 day old and only 3 pounds 15 ounces... she is about 5 pounds under weight. she is playful and doesn't seem sick at all so I am thinking maybe she has Coccidia or Giardia ... But I don't know. I was giving her Endosob Suspension to help with her poops and it did help but as soon as I quit giving it the runs came right back. I will post more after I get back from the vet.
changing foods rarely solves the problem. it's tough for their little bodies to adjust to the different foods a lot of times

I would try some white rice and white meat chicken cut up fine and mixed with the rice. The rice will help to bind things up, and the chicken will give her the nutrition she needs while still being bland and easy on the stomach.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would try some white rice and white meat chicken cut up fine and mixed with the rice. The rice will help to bind things up, and the chicken will give her the nutrition she needs while still being bland and easy on the stomach.
I did that already it went straight threw her too. I did that for 2 days. The vet recommended it... didn't help at all.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
Let us know how the vet visit goes. I hope its nothing serious like Parvo.

Tucker had giardia as a puppy for almost 3 months... really hard to get rid of cuz it kept relapsing.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
good luck! With a small puppy, like a human baby, diarrhea and dehydration can become quite serious very quickly so you are doing the right thing taking her to the vet...

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let us know how the vet visit goes. I hope its nothing serious like Parvo.

Tucker had giardia as a puppy for almost 3 months... really hard to get rid of cuz it kept relapsing.

I am not thinking parvo because she is eating drinking and playing like a normal puppy. what were your puppies symptoms with Giardia? How was it diagnosed? I have poop in a bag waiting for the vet visit in a bit.... can they tell from that or will they still need to use a fecal loop? I think I had read they needed fresh warm poop.:yuck:

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
They did a fecal exam... yes I took a bag of poop with me LOL.

They found the bacteria in his poop then put him on meds.

He seemed pretty normal except for constantly runny poops.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
WELL... I am home. I so wish I had taken her to the vet friday like I had first set up an appointment for but I had had to cancel that one. I am SO glad I was able to make this appointment. Sharlette was vaccinated and put on a heart worm med. She also is HEAVILY infested with coccidia. Which is what I had suspected. She is on albon 5% suspension for 9 more days. She got a double dose today. They said that she was so infested that I need to contact the breeder asap and let them know and it is so bad that the only thing they thing would rid it from their property is to burn the land. WOW! They said I should see improvement in her poop by this weekend and to bring her back in in 21 days for a re fecal test because it is so bad that the first treatment might not kill it all. I sure hope this round of meds clears it out all the way. poor puppy.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
Aww poor Sharlette we are sending her good healing vibes. She should be a quick road to recovery now with the medication. Please keep us posted. Also we will please give that sweet girl a belly rub for me.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
WELL... I am home. I so wish I had taken her to the vet friday like I had first set up an appointment for but I had had to cancel that one. I am SO glad I was able to make this appointment. Sharlette was vaccinated and put on a heart worm med. She also is HEAVILY infested with coccidia. Which is what I had suspected. She is on albon 5% suspension for 9 more days. She got a double dose today. They said that she was so infested that I need to contact the breeder asap and let them know and it is so bad that the only thing they thing would rid it from their property is to burn the land. WOW! They said I should see improvement in her poop by this weekend and to bring her back in in 21 days for a re fecal test because it is so bad that the first treatment might not kill it all. I sure hope this round of meds clears it out all the way. poor puppy.
WOW. That's amazing. Glad you got a diagnosis and it's treatable. What about your yard? Is that going to be a problem?

Will you call the breeder? Amazing how irresponsible some can be...I'll be interested to know what you hear back.

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did contact the breeder and let them know. they seemed to be shocked by the diagnosis and seemed genuinely concerned for their other pets. My yard shouldn't be a problem they said mix a cup of bleach in a gal of water and spay my back yard with it in one of those like plant food sprayers. I don't have a HUGE back yard so it wont be hard to treat. and they said bring a cup of bleach out with me to pour over her poop after she poops until she is done with the meds. The transformation she has taken just after 1 day of being on the meds. is incredible! she is eating more, playing more, not as depressed looking, and just an all around happier puppy. Her poops have already firmed up a lot since just after the first dose ( it was a double dose) I am so glad she is feeling better. here is a picture of her from this morning. All perky!

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
lol i can't get over how adorable she is! she looks like she's made herself right at home, as compared to your first picture you posted of her where she looked very shy.. hope she gets better and look forward to more pictures of her =)

·
Davina
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thank you all! She is doing so good and has even started gaining weight. Her poop has been firm all day no more runs. THANK GOD! She was consistently having weight loss but she gained 7 ounces today... before she was hardly eating 1/3 of a cup of food a day and today she ate a whole cup of food. She didn't sleep nearly as much today either.

another pic of her from today. -------v :--happy:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts