Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you have shared back yards?
Im confused on if its common curtosy for people to pick up after their dogs poops? Ive always thought that, If your dog poops in someones back / front or yard at all they would be kind enough to pick it up.... am i expecting to much?
We live in the townhouses on a military base here in maryland, and our 1 neighbor has 3 dogs. and after going out back to play with my 4 yr old daughter since it was 70 degrees out, you would think they NEVER pick up their dog poop... :confused:
The way i walk my dog to go potty is i go out the front, and walk her along the side since we have ALOT of space/ yard that way and i bring poop bags and i pick up her poop after she goes.
I dont care if they dont pick up poop in their part of the yard, but when they let their dog out and it poops in my yard i expect them to pick up after them... i just picked up about 10 poops very large piles of poop in my back yard today :mad:
Should i ask them to please pick up after their dogs? Or just keep picking the poop up and keep my mouth shut?

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Depends what is your rank and what is theirs?!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Im being sarcastic...
It is against the law in many communities to leave dog feces on the ground.
But regardless...it is just plain rude and inconsiderate...

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Depends what is your rank and what is theirs?!

HAHA!!

I never understood why people don't feel they should clean up after their dogs. It amazes me how much POOP I see on our walks.. Not only that, but cat poop too! I know people have outdoor cats and you can't expect them to follow the cat and clean up after em, but it's still gross!! My dog's love those little hidden treats when they find em. :yuck:

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
To better answer your question, I'd say if it really bothers you to maybe give them a friendly reminder that it'd be nice to keep a poop free yard. It always gets a little touchy with neighbors... sometimes it's just better to keep the peace. I don't see anything wrong with a little nudge in the right direction though in this instance..

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I think you could politely explain to them you were going to play in YOUR yard with your daughter, but had to pick up the dog piles first, and would they please clean up after their dogs after they potty.

I know it can be touchy with neighbors, but really it shouldn't be, especially if you are nice about it.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I live in the same kind of neighborhood- townhouse in military housing and have some neighbors who neglect the poop-duty, in my yard and theirs. There are no fences so if my kids run through the grass, they usually nail a pile dead on. Shoes or not. It's inconsiderate and pretty gross and against the policies here. I considered picking it all up and delivering it in a nice little pile on thier cement porch, so that they could not possibly ignore it. But that would be like declaring neighbor war.

Still, if i did it at night........

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
a conversation that went something like....I have a young child and would like a place to play with her that was not used as a place for dogs where dogs defecate. Would you be willing to toilet your dogs in this certain place so I can let her play in this certain place?

Does the apartment complex have rules regarding designated toilet areas and cleaning up after your dogs?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Im sure there are many rules here :) Like only being able to own 2 animals and they have 3... requiring a leash period while the dog is out side.. the dog must be wearing the rabies tag on their collar at all times while outside... They have a bunch of rules like that. But we JUST moved here. the ppl next door are Air force, the lady is 3 months prego, with a 2 yr old child, and 3 dogs. adorable dogs :) I never ever ever see them outside, so im sure they have no idea what it really does look like out there.
I dont want to be a total bitch, they are moving (soon hopfully) and the lady is friends with alot of the ladies in the neighborhood and i dont want to be named neighborhood b*tch so i cant make any friends :(
Atleast i know when spring hits when they start mowing our lawns every week they will get in trouble by the housing complex because i was told the mowers complain religously when they have to mow over poop.and will not mow your yard when they see it :) So im kinda hoping i wont have to say anything and the mowers will take care of that LOL...

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Oh, when I was living in my Mom's home I embarrassed the neighbor who lived behind her. I did day care and I kept the yard really clean and the grass was as green as anyone could ever want. I was looking out the bathroom window when I saw this young woman throw her dogs poo over the fence and into the yard. I yelled out, "Hey, I have children who play in this yard. Keep your crap in your yard." Well, my sister lived with my Mom after I left and she became good friends with Rebecca. Rebecca said she was mortifed when I caught her and she had no idea why she did what she did. We laugh about it to this day! She had the greatest Collie. Now if she put him over the fence I'd have been thrilled!

·
Registered
86 Posts
I hear you Chloie- people in military housing can be very clique-ish, especially if you are a different service than they are (Im Coast Guard in a Navy neighborhood) and as much as we like to think the military as a close-knit group it can have that whole "us and them" atmosphere among services. Its not easy making friends and it can be isolating!

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I have this same problem. Our backyards aren't exactly shared but there are no fences on this block so the dogs go where they want to. Except my dog ... I always go out with Daisy to make sure she doesn't wander.

I'm always picking up other dogs' poop. I hate it. It's messy too. Daisy's poop is firm and easy to clean up. Other dogs, it's like slop and it stinks LOL ... I'm such a snob.

And the neighbor dogs don't know my rules... there's a certain area for going poop and it's NOT near my walkway or by my front porch! Grrrrr.

But I don't say anything. I like all my neighbors. And they're nice to my dog and that's what really counts.

·
Registered
869 Posts
I don't share a yard but the neighbors dogs think mine is their toilet. I can't count the discussions we have had with the neighbors. Unfortunately they don't take it too well. My concern is they don't care very well for their dogs & they often have worms. We will be getting a puppy very soon after almost a year of not having a dog. I do hope things will be different this time. And, my dog always stayed in our yard.

·
Park, Cam and Ty Rule!
1,038 Posts
I've often wondered about this. We have a fenced in yard so it doesnt' matter for us but when we visit our friends they don't have a fence and neither do any of their neighbors. Our friends just let their two dogs out and they go poo wherever. I watched them both take a dump in the neighbors yard actually while we were there. Dh and I had a conversation on the way home about how annoyed we'd be if our neighbors just let their dogs out and they came and pooped in our yard on a regular basis.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
We have a similar but weird situation. We live in a condo and there is a huge big field behind the buildings. This area is not fenced and no one would ever have reason to walk through it - it's just an old corn field. When we brought the puppy home I asked the HOA people what the rules were about pooping there. They said that common area is for the dogs to go to the bathroom and that we don't have to pick up after them. I was a little uncomfortable with that but went with the flow. It's a little gross looking, but no one ever walks through it so I guess it's fine.

But.....with having all that freedom you would think people wouldn't let their dogs poop in the common walking areas!!!! I mean, come on! You have free reign on a huge 3 acre field. Don't let your dog poop outside the front door.

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Oh come on, everyone needs to pick up their dog's poop! You should not even have to mention it, but since you do, do not feel one bit bad about it. Just be firm (no pun intended) and nice, as mentioned before, you might end up best friends.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts