Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all: hope you're all having a great 2020 so far and staying warm! I'm prepping to get a golden pup and just doing my final research to make sure I'm ready. How long do your goldens sleep, at ANY stage of their lives (including adulthood!)?? What times do they sleep at night?? Thank you so much in advance!:) (please feel free to share your golden pics because I would LOVE that!)

·
Registered
172 Posts
We have a new pup, he will be ten weeks next Tuesday. My wife and I are retired so our schedule is not as bad as it sounds...
The pup goes in his kennel in our bedroom at 10pm every night, my wife also goes to bed at 10pm.
I stay up until 12:30 and then take the pup outside, then back in his kennel and I get in bed.

My wife gets up at 2:30am letting the pup outside and then back to bed for both.

I get up at 4:30am and take him out again, then both back to kennel and bed.

Wife gets up at 6:30am and take the pup out and feeds out dogs, we have another 7 year old Golden.

I get up between 7:00am and 7:30am and we begin our day.

The pups crate training it going very well. He goes to the bath room darn near as soon as we set him down outside at night. We have had no night time accidents...we will extend his time between trips out side 30 min to an hour during February. During the day he is attached to us using a lead or in his kennel where he can see us. He is now barking and going to the door, during the day when he wants out.

So far so good....

Our other dog, goes to bed at 10pm and gets up with the last one of us to get up....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on your new pup. We have a two year old golden and just got his 8 week-old sister. Reading above I think we've been very lucky! We got Leia last Wednesday. The first two nights she went out at 10pm for toilet and then to bed - awoke at 3:45am, I took her outside and she peed and then went back to sleep until 6:30am. Last night she went out at 10pm, then slept right through until 6am!
Louis was similar when he was a pup but ow he will sleep in until we get up regardless of when he wen to bed. Neither has had any night time accidents.

During the day they Louis (2yrs) sleeps for a good 2 hours plus as long as he has had an hour of exercise in the morning. He then needs a play and a walk before settling down for the evening around 8pm.

Its only day three with Leia but so far she sleeps A LOT! A good play and then she zonks out.

Good luck with everything! Here's a first pic of Louis and Leia xx

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,524 Posts
Maggie was always a good sleeper as a pup. At 5:30am she would get up, I get up around 6am so that wasn't an issue. Now at a little over 2 years old (Oct) she just sleeps randomly when I'm at work and might sleep a little when watching a movie at night but sleeps with me and I go to bed at 11pm-12am and get up at 6am during the week and on the weekends it can be 7-9am and she doesn't care. She just gets up when I do.

On fact, all my dogs have been that way. They usually just fall in line with my routine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
We got Gemma at 14 weeks and the breeder had already toilet trained her. She went to her crate every night at 10pm and woke on the dot 7am. Unfortunately for us we picked her up the week daylight savings finished, so she woke at 6am on the dot! She's now 13 months and we have gradually pushed it back to 7 (well 6.55 and then I go back to bed to listen to the 7am news on the radio). She sleeps on her bed next to us while we watch tv each evening and wakes up at 9.50 and stares until she's let out and then goes into her crate.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Hi! Congratulations on your new pup. We have a two year old golden and just got his 8 week-old sister. Reading above I think we've been very lucky! We got Leia last Wednesday. The first two nights she went out at 10pm for toilet and then to bed - awoke at 3:45am, I took her outside and she peed and then went back to sleep until 6:30am. Last night she went out at 10pm, then slept right through until 6am!
Louis was similar when he was a pup but ow he will sleep in until we get up regardless of when he wen to bed. Neither has had any night time accidents.

During the day they Louis (2yrs) sleeps for a good 2 hours plus as long as he has had an hour of exercise in the morning. He then needs a play and a walk before settling down for the evening around 8pm.

Its only day three with Leia but so far she sleeps A LOT! A good play and then she zonks out.

View attachment 869708
I wondered why I’d seen your pic before! We follow you on Instagram! Lol goldengalstella

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
I don't remember much of Kaizer's puppy sleeping habits (I'm sure I have it written down somewhere). If I recall, we'd put him to bed anywhere between 9-10pm and he'd wake up every 2 hours. I don't remember when that stopped. After 6am, he'd jump into bed with me (oops), then he got breakfast at 7am. He'd sleep on and off during the day - as a puppy, more sleeping than not. Again, don't recall exactly how many.

He's almost 5 now - he sleeps whenever he's at home basically. That tends to happen whenever I'm gone (which depends on what I'm doing that day and if he can come with me) or after we get back from doing whatever we're doing. I do not go to bed at any specific time, so he usually sleeps in his bed/on the couch with me until I'm ready to go upstairs. At that point, he sleeps until I sleep (when I wake up also depends on what I have to do).

As a puppy, I followed a strict schedule (in terms of meals and sleep)- wake up at 6am, feed at 7am, 12pm, and 5pm, sleep at 9-10pm. My poor dog now just gets meals and sleep whenever it best fits into my schedule.

·
Super Moderator
1,243 Posts
Oskie usually sacks out around 8 or 9 PM and rises when I do at around 6 AM. But if we sleep in he snoozes til 8:30 or 90 in the morning.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Aww congrats on the new puppy! :) So glad it's all going so well with your puppy! Hope you are getting lots of puppy kisses and snuggles in :)

And thank you so much for sharing your 7yo's schedule too! That's wonderful that s/he likes to sleep so much. I wasn't sure whether I would be sacrificing sleep forever or just during the puppy years.

Hope you are both doing well with such little sleep lol! I'm glad you have a tag team so you get a break in between each wake-up/potty break.

We have a new pup, he will be ten weeks next Tuesday. My wife and I are retired so our schedule is not as bad as it sounds...
The pup goes in his kennel in our bedroom at 10pm every night, my wife also goes to bed at 10pm.
I stay up until 12:30 and then take the pup outside, then back in his kennel and I get in bed.

My wife gets up at 2:30am letting the pup outside and then back to bed for both.

I get up at 4:30am and take him out again, then both back to kennel and bed.

Wife gets up at 6:30am and take the pup out and feeds out dogs, we have another 7 year old Golden.

I get up between 7:00am and 7:30am and we begin our day.

The pups crate training it going very well. He goes to the bath room darn near as soon as we set him down outside at night. We have had no night time accidents...we will extend his time between trips out side 30 min to an hour during February. During the day he is attached to us using a lead or in his kennel where he can see us. He is now barking and going to the door, during the day when he wants out.

So far so good....

Our other dog, goes to bed at 10pm and gets up with the last one of us to get up....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OMG thank you SO much for the doggy pic! It warms my heart!

I'm so glad you got lucky with your Leia! You must be having so much fun! :) I hope I get lucky like you! That's excellent timing.

That's lovely Louis will sleep as long as you do! That makes me much less worried about loss of sleep for the dog's life lol! And so cute he naps in the middle of the day too; sleeping dogs are so sweet.

Thank you so much for your kind wishes! I can't wait to have pics to share too! :)

View attachment 869708

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow! That is amazing! Thank you so much for sharing. I hope I get lucky like that too. Hope you are having lots of fun with Maggie :)

Maggie was always a good sleeper as a pup. At 5:30am she would get up, I get up around 6am so that wasn't an issue. Now at a little over 2 years old (Oct) she just sleeps randomly when I'm at work and might sleep a little when watching a movie at night but sleeps with me and I go to bed at 11pm-12am and get up at 6am during the week and on the weekends it can be 7-9am and she doesn't care. She just gets up when I do.

On fact, all my dogs have been that way. They usually just fall in line with my routine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Haha! Well, at least she's a great alarm clock? Awww she sounds so sweet :) Thank you so much for sharing. I hope you are both doing well. What a darling name too.

We got Gemma at 14 weeks and the breeder had already toilet trained her. She went to her crate every night at 10pm and woke on the dot 7am. Unfortunately for us we picked her up the week daylight savings finished, so she woke at 6am on the dot! She's now 13 months and we have gradually pushed it back to 7 (well 6.55 and then I go back to bed to listen to the 7am news on the radio). She sleeps on her bed next to us while we watch tv each evening and wakes up at 9.50 and stares until she's let out and then goes into her crate.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Haha! I get why you let him jump into bed with you, though. They're too cute to say no to sometimes :)

Thank you so much for sharing! I'm loving that the general consensus is that they're pretty cool with sleeping in until whenever you get up once they get older :)

Aw well I'm sure you're still taking excellent care of him :)

I don't remember much of Kaizer's puppy sleeping habits (I'm sure I have it written down somewhere). If I recall, we'd put him to bed anywhere between 9-10pm and he'd wake up every 2 hours. I don't remember when that stopped. After 6am, he'd jump into bed with me (oops), then he got breakfast at 7am. He'd sleep on and off during the day - as a puppy, more sleeping than not. Again, don't recall exactly how many.

He's almost 5 now - he sleeps whenever he's at home basically. That tends to happen whenever I'm gone (which depends on what I'm doing that day and if he can come with me) or after we get back from doing whatever we're doing. I do not go to bed at any specific time, so he usually sleeps in his bed/on the couch with me until I'm ready to go upstairs. At that point, he sleeps until I sleep (when I wake up also depends on what I have to do).

As a puppy, I followed a strict schedule (in terms of meals and sleep)- wake up at 6am, feed at 7am, 12pm, and 5pm, sleep at 9-10pm. My poor dog now just gets meals and sleep whenever it best fits into my schedule.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow that's amazing! He looks to be around 4ish from your profile, is that right? He's so beautiful :) Thanks for sharing!
Oskie usually sacks out around 8 or 9 PM and rises when I do at around 6 AM. But if we sleep in he snoozes til 8:30 or 90 in the morning.

·
Registered
172 Posts

Thanks for your comments, makes me feel better, someone else uses the 2hr initially! Our time schedule is not set by our pup, we started with the 2 hour schedule based on prior experience, so as to avoid any mess in his crate, which as you all know means a late night cleaning of crate and dog! And that is not much fun at 3am! We both sleep hard and I cannot hear well anyway, so if the pup gets restless, I may not hear him.....many new pups will not cry or bark, initially to get outside...so the 2hr. plan is working fine, we are already adjusting is to 3hrs. ….

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
Thanks for your comments, makes me feel better, someone else uses the 2hr initially! Our time schedule is not set by our pup, we started with the 2 hour schedule based on prior experience, so as to avoid any mess in his crate, which as you all know means a late night cleaning of crate and dog! And that is not much fun at 3am! We both sleep hard and I cannot hear well anyway, so if the pup gets restless, I may not hear him.....many new pups will not cry or bark, initially to get outside...so the 2hr. plan is working fine, we are already adjusting is to 3hrs. ….
I got lucky! Kaizer was always good about asking to go out at night. It didn't even take that long for him to ask to go out during the day. His breeder started him off on a really good foot.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts