Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
SoGolden: No judgement intended. I was just passing on some information that I considered germaine to your question from a knowledgeable source.
I prefer to go direct to the source. We don't know who this "knowledgeable source" is or what her frame of reference is. SoGolden already made the decision to bring another puppy into her home and is simply trying to anticipate the issues that might come up. This obviously was an important decision for SoGolden.

If I were a breeder or a rescue organization, I would try to steer someone away from taking on another young puppy if I felt they lacked the time, knowledge and experience.

Scott, if I recall from another post, you do not own a Golden Retriever and are looking for a puppy. You are running your wife's practice and have a child, a 16 year old Husky, two rescue cats, fish, and take care of a school pet. So maybe raising two new puppies or a puppy with another young dog would be somewhat of an undertaking for you (I think it would be for most people : ) Perhaps the breeder's statement was made with that in mind. Something to think about.

I have attached a few pictures of our new puppy and our two other young Goldens. We are a very happy family. There are no "bullies or weinies" at our house.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
That could absolutely be the case. Again no harm or judgement intended.
The person who gave me that advice is Sylvia Donahey of Birnham Woods Golden Retrievers, who was recommended to me by some people on this forum. She has been very gracious and wonderfully helpful in answering my noob questions.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
I think I would have to agree. The way it's always been around my place is the older Golden has been a huge part of the training of the new puppy.

Where the dog door is. How to work it. Where to go potty. Where the water buckets are. Where to eat. I have been through three transitions like this, and a fourth is coming. It's amazing how quickly a pup will learn from the older dog.

And of course, there's lots of guidance from daddy :)

Goldens aren't fully mature until about 3 years old. That's when the destructive phase starts to dissipate and go away. I also think thats a good starting age for a new puppy coming in.

-Larry

I just asked this exact question of a breeder to which we were reccocmended.
Here is what she said:

I would not sell you two puppies from the same litter or
even one if you had another one close to the same age. It takes a lot
of time and energy to raise one dog to a respectable adult. Puppies
left alone together cause a lot of damage and sometimes ending up
bonding to each other and not their family.
My advice on a second dog is wait at least 18 months in between dogs.
Another thing that happens in the situation of littermates is that one
personality will dominate. You end up with a bully and a weinie. Trust
me on this one.
Most breeders will not sell two puppies from the same litter to one
person. OTOH, income breeders can't push them out the door fast enough
and don't give a flip what happens.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
two dog night

I prefer to go direct to the source. We don't know who this "knowledgeable source" is or what her frame of reference is. SoGolden already made the decision to bring another puppy into her home and is simply trying to anticipate the issues that might come up. This obviously was an important decision for SoGolden.

If I were a breeder or a rescue organization, I would try to steer someone away from taking on another young puppy if I felt they lacked the time, knowledge and experience.

Scott, if I recall from another post, you do not own a Golden Retriever and are looking for a puppy. You are running your wife's practice and have a child, a 16 year old Husky, two rescue cats, fish, and take care of a school pet. So maybe raising two new puppies or a puppy with another young dog would be somewhat of an undertaking for you (I think it would be for most people : ) Perhaps the breeder's statement was made with that in mind. Something to think about.

I have attached a few pictures of our new puppy and our two other young Goldens. We are a very happy family. There are no "bullies or weinies" at our house.
Scott: You are one very busy guy! You know, if I were still on active duty I would not attempt this... But, I only work 6-10 hours a week and my house is big and empty. Harry and I both agree, it's just too quiet around here for the two of us.:D

Marty's Mom: Thank you for your support. Your dogs are incredible. Keep those pictures coming!

21 - 25 of 25 Posts