Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
And Addison's Mom Too!
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend bought a golden last year. She was showing me the papers and contract. The sire and the dam were not owned by the breeder. In fact the owner of both the sire and the dam was listed as someone else. The dog she got looks nothing like the goldens this breeder show on their website. I have tried to research the owner of the sire and the dam. There is nothing out there. Also this dogs skin (under his fur) is pigmented dark. Like a charcoal color. What is that.?

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Black skin is a sign of good pigment, nothing wrong with it.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
Black skin is a sign of good pigment, nothing wrong with it.
Sally's Mom--doesn't this also depend on the condition of the dog? My senior golden came to me with black skin that clearly wasn't due to good pigment--he was hypothyroid and within a month of treatment, his skin started to return back to its pink colored state. I also have another golden boy who skin darkens when his allergies get out of control and also has a yeast infection.

I've seen black skin on healthy goldens who I would agree with your statement above, but with not enough info provided by the OP, that dog may or may not be healthy. Thoughts?

·
Banned
616 Posts
The breeder could have leased the bitch (this happens all the time) so they could keep one of the puppies. They possibly used a stud dog, which is usually a good thing, because they generally are putting thought into their breeding, vs whatever is in their own kennel. We would need a lot more information to know whether this was a poor breeder or just a unique circumstance.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Yes you can have hyper pigmented skin from chronic skin inflammation and thyroid issues. I was thinking that since the dog was young, it was more likely due to good pigment.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Nothing about the facts presented would make me think "shady breeder." If someone bred to my Jack and tried to research me they would not come up with anything since he was my first conformation dog, first CH and I've never bred anything myself.

If the puppies were registered with the AKC then the dam owner(s) needed to sign off on the litter. So it might have been a lease situation or perhaps the person was married/divorced at some point and their name changed. Or the person uses a nickname? Again, to use my Jack as an example, my maiden name was on him until just recently.

And my Kira and my Smooch both have grey toned skin on their bellies, they both have very nice pigment :)

Was there something else that made you think it was a weird situation?

·
And Addison's Mom Too!
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Both the dam and the sire were owned by someone else. She charged my friend only half of what she usually charges. (I wondered about that). Also goldens are not the only dogs they breed. I am not trying to be accusatory, I just don't know the ins and outs of dog breeding so I thought I would ask more knowledgeable folks.

·
And Addison's Mom Too!
744 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't have the papers in front of me. I can't remember the names except they had Dixie at the beginning. The dog is pretty small,29 lbs at 9 months. Sheds pretty bad but is getting her feathers. I guess it doesn't matter and maybe using shady was kind of harsh. I just wondered why they would sell pups that weren't out of their dogs for less money. But have their kennel name on them. Came with a health guarantee though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts