Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are some test diagrams Barb. In all pictures the orange line is the blind and the other clolours are marks.

This window, 2 water test Breeze ran in PA.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Breeze SH at Marshbanks
The water blind in this one was challenging as they hit the mud flat at an angle and a lot of dogs wanted to just square off to the cover on the side instead of carrying the line to the back corner. The islands on the marks were also tempting for cheaty dogs on the way out. Quite a few dogs got up on them. The left mark also provided suction that made some dogs unwilling to get up on the mud flat as well--they wanted to take more water.

Attachments

Reactions: Sunrise

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Breeze Michigan Flyways

This was a really nice test. The land blind was likely the most challenging element (and the breaky water bird). The land sloped off towards the pond, so when some dogs hit the cover they sucked down to the water. The clostest mark was the flyer, so for other dogs it provided suction the other way.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Two CKC Senior water tests Breeze ran

The water blind in the top shot was NASTY. All the light green was duck weed and lily pads, and it was a stick pond. It was an angle entry. There was a big white rock on the island square across from the line, but the blind is on the far left side of the island. Guess where the dogs wanted to go? Blind was run first, then invitation to the marks. The short mark straight out was the first mark down. Only three dogs passed this test of the 15 who went to water--Breeze, a Toller, and the Golden that I am breeding Breeze's daughter Desi to next week!

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Winter Finger Lakes

The water blind in this was the toughest Win ran in AKC senior. It was run first, and then marks were by invitation. It was over 80 yards long, those last two islands were just off line and the blind planter was sitting visible in a canoe on the shore. The junior test had been in the same pond the day before and one of their marks had landed on the point of land sticking out where the water narrows at the top of that cove in the bottom right. Put a third mark there and this is a meaty Master test. The shorter mark was the memory bird and landed deep in a bank of tules. They had to swim past it for the long go bird. Some dogs picked the short one up first but then had difficulty getting out to the long mark.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Winter--2 tests at Michigan Flyways

Magenta line in the third pic is the flyer, done as a walkup single. Blind was run after it. Extreme crosswind blowing down the hill towards the flyer, fyer station between the mark and the blind. This was a nasty test.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
A couple of CKC tests Winter ran

The short mark in the bottom pic is a diversion bird.

Attachments

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Some of the tests I have set.

Top shot, long mark was the go-bird, and the short the memory. dogs who failed the blind squared the shore and got out early and then ran around in the tall cover back on land.

Next, the memory bird was the longer mark with the land entry and then down the channel. A lot of dogs cheated it and ran deep on land which did not help them as the wind was blowing from land to water--no wind saves, no reward for cheating. This was the mark that most dogs who failed could not do--the "money" bird. The water blind was in running water, but full of dogwood and other scrub, and we lost a couple of dogs there as well who became self-employed..

In the third, the dogs did the marks fine for the most part, but on the blind some scalloped back to shore all the time with the tighter entry, or else got fixated on the islands and refused to cast into the corner where the bird was.

Attachments

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Wow Shelly, I can't thank you enough!! These are incredible. The only one that looks really hairy is the very first one, the blind looks a bit tough. The others are very reassuring!
In the 13th photo, is that a triple plus a blind?

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
On all of them it looks like there is a good angle between the marks, and also between marks and blinds, except on #13 which is the triple, one mark looks somewhat close to the blind.
This is so helpful to have a feel for what we might encounter!

·
They get it
4,446 Posts
Those are great Shelly! Even though you posted them for Barb, I thought they were educational, as well. Thanks!

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
No problemo. A couple fo those tests were actually set by judges who are on that panel you are considering, Barb!

The first one wasn't actually all that bad. It was not very long and they only had to cross a small channel. Most of the green on the far side was actually duckweed in the water. The tough part of it was the go bird which was the left mark--it landed just off shore with a huge splash and at least 5 dogs broke on it. The honour was on that series.

I've gone back and added some comments to go with the pictures--easier than trying to correlate it here!

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Yep, my first thought when I saw this set up was that Tito would head for the water.

Breeze Michigan Flyways

This was a really nice test. The land blind was likely the most challenging element (and the breaky water bird). The land sloped off towards the pond, so when some dogs hit the cover they sucked down to the water. The clostest mark was the flyer, so for other dogs it provided suction the other way.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Shelly, your comments are very helpful so that I can see what problems the dogs had. Since I looked at the photos before you had put the comments up, it's especially interesting because I analyzed each one in terms of what I thought Tito would do.
And on this one, I thought for sure the Tito "more water" Monster would want to take more water, so I was right.

Breeze SH at Marshbanks
The water blind in this one was challenging as they hit the mud flat at an angle and a lot of dogs wanted to just square off to the cover on the side instead of carrying the line to the back corner. The islands on the marks were also tempting for cheaty dogs on the way out. Quite a few dogs got up on them. The left mark also provided suction that made some dogs unwilling to get up on the mud flat as well--they wanted to take more water.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
Whew, some of those look pretty hard, just got done reading all of them. Honestly (and I'm not just saying this!!) I like your tests the best. We need to run under you!
Please tell me that photos #10 and #13 were NOT tests set by judges who are judging at Backwater!!!!!

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Whew, some of those look pretty hard, just got done reading all of them. Honestly (and I'm not just saying this!!) I like your tests the best. We need to run under you!
Please tell me that photos #10 and #13 were NOT tests set by judges who are judging at Backwater!!!!!
The judges in #10 are from Connecticut, so you are likely safe there unless you make the trek to NYS. As for Backwater, one of the judges from 13/14 is judging with one of the judges from 11/12. The judge from 11/12 is one of my favourite judges, and a wonderful Golden fellow who really wants the dogs to succeed. I expect he will keep things reined in.;) My dogs have earned Junior, Senior and Master legs from him.:D

If you want to run under me you are going to have to travel this summer--at the moment I am only judging in Canada! A WC/I/X and my first Master!

Reactions: hotel4dogs

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Thank-you Shelley for posting the setups.

If you want to run under me you are going to have to travel this summer--at the moment I am only judging in Canada! A WC/I/X and my first Master!
Are you judging anything way out here in the West?

·
I shoot, they fetch.
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Only in Ontario--and those may well be the only ones I take this year. I am the test secretary for two regular hunt tests, the Master National and a field trial this year, as well as wanting to qualify Breeze for the Master National here and finish her CKC Master, and get Bonnie ready for SH. So kinda thinking I have enough on my plate!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts