Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there.. Allie has now developed a seroma.. yeah, we just like having more problems.. no, we don't j/k

After surgery, we thought we were out of the woods, but three days ago, Allie developed this fluid filled area near the incision site.

So, I took her to our vet, and she said hot moist compresses. I emailed the vet college where she had her rib resection. They emailed me back and said that would be okay, and add in ACE bandages, wrapped semi-tight.

so, now 72 hours have passed and the seroma still is there, albeit, a little less in size. I called the surgical vet, where they do the surgeries around here and they called back and said seromas can last up to two weeks and that they aren't dangerous.

Is this true? I haven't emailed the vet college yet, and they usually don't get back to me to the evening hours any way.
Also, they don't like to introduce a needle to eliminate the fluid, since bacteria can get in.. makes sense..
Has anyone had experience with this??

Thanks so much in advance!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My toby had one the size of half an apple after he had a lipoma removed from his rib cage a few years ago. The vet told me they are not in the least little bit dangerous, but to wrap it with ace bandages around his rib cage for about a week. I did, but I don't think it made much difference. Took about 2 weeks for it to go away if I remember right.

·
New Mommy
6,139 Posts
Wow I guess I got really lucky with Erin's, it was gone the next morning. Poor Allie and poor you, I know you don't need this. I was hoping it would be all gone by now.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I hope it goes away soon. Sorry I havent had any experience with them.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks so much for the reassurance!
I hate all this stuff. If it's not one thing, it's another with this girl.

Thanks much.. I'll wrap it, and hope and pray it goes away... SOON!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts