Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We adopted our golden, Duffy, and then came here and learned about all the health issues that plague goldens! Yikes, so worrisome.

We had a rescue sheltie, who passed at age 11; a rat terrier who passed at age 10 and currently also have a small mutt (toy poodle/pom). All three of these dogs did not have issues through their lives other than a torn dew claw a couple of times and some mild allergies with the rattie.

But I'm thinking the gr is a dog of a different color!

Would most of you golden owners say that you have been to the vet with more serious issues at least once in your dog's lifetime? I have figured that pet insurance for Duffy would total about $3500 more or less, if he lives to be 10.

Can you all give me your input on vet visits, what for, and costs, etc?

Thank you!
Kris

·
Registered
111 Posts
Got you're PM, but can't reply since I'm new here (have to have over 15 posts) Please contact me at [email protected]...I'd really appreciate that breeder info (were right next door to the breeder in Shorewood)...Thanks!

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
I would advise against VPI (Vetrinary Pet Insurance). They covered a decent amount the first year of Sienna's life, but when we've had serious incidences they've only paid a pittance. I pay around 25.00 a month for the base coverage... that went up from around 19.00 when we first started. That said, I am not sure if I had upped the coverage it would've helped more- the thing is, I got laid off in March... this is when we could've benefited from having the insurance- Sienna swallowed a large piece of bone twice in the last 6-7 months (don't get me started) and they only paid 200.00 of a 1,400 dollar bill! She had endoscopys (where they go down her throat) and I believe the vet charges $465.00... they only cover $85 dollars!

Good luck- I will very interested to hear what everyone else does. I need to change ours to someone else- I dragged my feet after the first one and procrastinated, now I am kicking myself big time.

Some people just put money away a month, treating it like a bill and then they have some money saved towards it.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I do have pet insurance and think its a great thing for pet owners to have.. especially if you are not extremely wealthy.

I definitely advocate for the accident or illness type policies over the routine care policies, as I feel they cover a lot more in general when used on high-cost vet care. The routine care policies cover things like vaccines, etc, that are generally not all that expensive, but when you have a surgery or long term illness to cover, I find in general they don't cover nearly enough as Sienna's mom posted above about VPI.

I have policies with PetPlan USA for my dogs and feel that company and also Embrace Pet Insurance are the best companies out there right now. They both cover hereditary diseases such as hip dysplasia that unfortunately affects many GR's. I went with PetPlan over Embrace because I felt they had better coverages, higher limits, as well as some other "perk" benefits such as money for advertising or reward should your pet become lost or stolen, as well as vacation insurance if you need to cancel plans for a pet's illness, among others. I pay about $28/month for each dog's policy.

I purchased pet insurance because as someone who basically lives paycheck to paycheck with no substantial personal savings, I can afford $60/month to cover my dogs, but could never afford a several thousand dollar procedure or long term care should my dog come down with a chronic illness. I never want to be put in the situation of having to decide between what I can afford and what is best for my dog's healthcare.

Check out www.petinsurancereview.com for tons of information, reviews, and personal experiences about just about every pet insurance company out there!

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
I wish I had gotten pet insurance. Flora's breeder advised against it saying it was a waste of money (that still makes me so angry), but I have already spent probably $2000 on her for surgery and medications relating to a genetic disorder she has. And she's only 1!!!! I actually don't think pet insurance would have covered her surgery for luxating patella, but it might have helped out with the cost of pain medications and whatever.

Our other golden Carmella had a lot of little problems, mostly ear infections, and pet insurance probably would have been a waste on her since she was otherwise very healthy. She lived to be 14.5 years old.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
I actually don't think pet insurance would have covered her surgery for luxating patella, but it might have helped out with the cost of pain medications and whatever.

It would have! Well, depending on which insurance company/plan you had of course.

From www.petinsurancereview.com about PetPlan:

10/10 Fabulous Customer Service!!!, 2/9/2008

Reviewed By: Heidi Eckard, Recommend: Y

I can't recommend PetPlan USA enough! I am a first-time dog owner of an adorable Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. Before we purchased Brooklyn, I did a lot of research on insurance companies as I had read that with toy breeds there can be congenital defects. My husband thought I was crazy to spend money on pet insurance. Well, as luck would have it, within less than a year, I was told by my vet that Brooklyn would need not one, but two surgeries for medial luxated patella. Thank goodness I choose a plan when we first brought her home, and thank goodness it was PetPlan USA. The account rep Mike was so helpful and patient, and Debi White has been incredible with follow-up after both surgeries, inquiring about Brooklyn's health, and reimbursement that was so quick, much more so than with traditional insurance. If you own a pet, and are thinking of pet insurance there is no company better than PetPlan USA. You would be foolish to choose any other company.

·
Registered
6,107 Posts
It would have! Well, depending on which insurance company you had of course.

From www.petinsurancereview.com about PetPlan:
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Well, now it's too late, since it's considered a preexisting condition. :( I probably wouldn't have enrolled in a plan that covered something like that anyways, since I had absolutely no idea that I would be dealing with this at such an early age.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

Well, now it's too late, since it's considered a preexisting condition. :( I probably wouldn't have enrolled in a plan that covered something like that anyways, since I had absolutely no idea that I would be dealing with this at such an early age.

Yea, I think its definitely a good idea to think about pet insurance when you first bring home a puppy or adopt a dog BEFORE anything can possibly be considered pre existing!! In general ANY plan you purchase from a company like PetPlan or Embrace (one that covers accidents and illnesses, and preferably also hereditary diseases) will cover something like that though, you don't need to specifically request certain coverages.

What you want to focus on for them is the yearly limits and whether they have "caps" on how much they'll spend per illness. Let's say your dog has a chronic illness that requires medications or treatments for life and the insurance puts a $5000 cap on it. What happens in a couple years when you hit that cap and they stop covering it? PetPlan doesn't have caps like that, just the annual maximums they will pay up to (mine is $20,000 per year on vet fees which I think/hope would be more than sufficient for anything).

No, I don't work for PetPlan lol.. I just did a lot of research and feel the piece of mind having the plans gives me is worth sharing with others.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I wish I had gotten pet insurance. Flora's breeder advised against it saying it was a waste of money (that still makes me so angry), but I have already spent probably $2000 on her for surgery and medications relating to a genetic disorder she has. And she's only 1!!!! I actually don't think pet insurance would have covered her surgery for luxating patella, but it might have helped out with the cost of pain medications and whatever.

Our other golden Carmella had a lot of little problems, mostly ear infections, and pet insurance probably would have been a waste on her since she was otherwise very healthy. She lived to be 14.5 years old.
Dick recommended pet insurance for us. He told us that a lot of pet insurance was a waste of money, but there were a few good ones. He said he had heard the best things about Purina Care, which is what we ended up getting (after a lot of research). He even had a page on pet insurance in the folder of stuff he gave us. I don't know if that is something he just started doing recently.

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
I have VPI and I love it. They have covered my bills quite well the only exception being Teddi's hip, but that was genetic and I knew that when we looked at the policy. I find my claims have more than paid for my premium. I have the Superior Plan, plus wellness coverage.

I do know there are policies out there that would have covered Teddi's hip. You pay more in premiums, and they cover X% of all procedures. I have actually thought of "duel" coverage, just to be safe but I have decided to take that money and start a dog account to cover the vet bills not covered by VPI.

Oh by the way even though VPI did not cover Teddi's hip, they do cover her annual follow up. I have both Teddi and Belle covered, and plan to insure our pup the day we get her home.

Ann

·
Premium Member
18,600 Posts
I don't have any personal experience with insurance, but someone I trust told me they use this one and it covers a lot for a reasonable premium.

gopetplan.com

·
Registered
274 Posts
Although I wish your golden will never have to go through pains and sufferings, we never know what happens...few years ago, my Pochi has accidentally swallen a bottle of pills that almost killed him...and I barely had enough money to pay for the treatment. So I decided to purchase a pet insurance just in case such incident happens again. Currently, I am with Trupanion Pet Insurance, and my Pochi is always treate generously. My insurance covers any cost upto $20,000 for Pochi's emergency vet care. You can find more on http://trupanionpetinsurance.com
I hope you find a good insurance for your golden soon :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
We adopted our golden, Duffy, and then came here and learned about all the health issues that plague goldens! Yikes, so worrisome.

We had a rescue sheltie, who passed at age 11; a rat terrier who passed at age 10 and currently also have a small mutt (toy poodle/pom). All three of these dogs did not have issues through their lives other than a torn dew claw a couple of times and some mild allergies with the rattie.

But I'm thinking the gr is a dog of a different color!

Would most of you golden owners say that you have been to the vet with more serious issues at least once in your dog's lifetime? I have figured that pet insurance for Duffy would total about $3500 more or less, if he lives to be 10.

Can you all give me your input on vet visits, what for, and costs, etc?

Thank you!
Kris
My last golden, Maggie, lived to be 2 weeks shy of 14 yrs. She had surgery for a hemangioma on her back and a ear hematoma, both later in life. She did have trouble with hot spots in the spring when the weather was warm & wet but she still had her winter coat. She was allergic to corn, so we fed corn free. Other than that she had a pretty long and healthy life.

Of course, the flea and heartworm preventative, neutering, as well as yearly visits and vax would be the same for any dog.

Each breed seems to have certain health issues common to that breed, not just goldens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts