Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so Gabbar is 4 months and 1 week old. My husband and I truly adore him to bits. But are struggling with two areas:
1. We had started walking Gabbar the moment we got home. He loves his walks. We started teaching him heel and he was doing so well, up until two days ago. We don't get why our walks have become so difficult. He keeps pulling side ways the whole walk to get to the nature strip to sniff and no matter how much treats you give him to stay with you, he doesn't seem to care anymore, he will walk 1 meter then it's a sudden lunge side ways and when he does get to the area he wants to sniff, that's it he won't move no matter treats or anything. He also like protests when you don't let him go to the nature strip ( make the leash short to keep him next to you) he suddenly becomes dead weight on the ground. What a pain!!!

2. We started noticing when you hold him back by his collar or hug him he protests by mouthing your hand that is holding him back. Or does a couple of soft bites with his nOse wrinkled as if to say.. Stop that ..

Appreciate everyone's advice or if they have seen this before...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Btw- we walk ( well with great difficulty) twice a day. 20 min in the morning. 40 mins in the evening.

·
Premium Member
2,126 Posts
You've only just begun LOL it will probably get worse for awhile but the smarter folks on here can give good training advice. I use an Easy Walk harness on Jack & it works great for me.It attaches to the leash from the front & when he pulls it makes him pull around & face me.Good luck with the puppy phase but of course it's worth it!!

·
Registered
417 Posts
We, too, used the easy walk harness exclusively up until recently, and it works great. We did switch to a combination of easy walk harness and a prong collar now for training purposes. So far, we are doing very well. Good luck! You're up for some crazy (and fun!!!!) times ahead!!! :)

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
We tried the Gentle Leader Delux (Amazon). Night and day!!!! It comes with a very helpful DVD and within minutes we had it properly fitted and ready to roll. Now Nugget walks right by my side with a slack leash!

He has a strong prey drive and we are in the land of Rabbits, Quail, and Ground Doves. Now he looks at them but doesn't lunge - it's a pleasure.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
We have been through problem #1. I think they know when they hit 40 pounds and we can't drag them around anymore. I would try to keep the puppy moving faster. It's easier to get them back on track while they are moving, rather than trying to get them to move once they've stopped. I'm a lot less likely to let the puppy sniff around anymore. He's run across too many dangerous things in the bushes. I also decide during the walk whether Casper gets the street side or the nature side. Where I can see the lawns and bushes clearly and when he's on his best behavior, he gets to be on the lawn side. Otherwise, it's the street side. It can get tricky, because I always want him on my left. If you are giving him lots of treats, try better treats.

Sometimes I can get Casper moving using the Touch command. I've taught him to touch my hand with his nose. (It's probably described on the internet somewhere.) Since it always gets him a treat, he'll move. He hates the car, and that's how I get him across the parking lot.

You might also have to go back to the foundation exercises for heeling, whatever method you are using. For Casper, that means more clicks/treats more often to get his attention back on me.

·
Registered
417 Posts
As for problem #2 - sounds just like our Tucker - he had early temper tantrums, too! He's now 8 months, and, crossing my fingers when I say this, I think the tantrums are lessening. He's learned bite inhibition (for quite some time now) so when he gets mouthy with us, it doesn't hurt us. But it's still very annoying! But I think to an extent these goldens are quite expressive, and the nose wrinkle is something Tucker does whenever he's being very playful and getting wound up, too. Don't know if that helps any - just be assured that your pup sounds perfectly normal...:)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
#2. At dog school we do an exercise where we click the leash buckle and treat. Click/treat, four or five times. This gets the puppy's attention on us instead of on the leash. Another exercise is "gotch", where we grab the dog's collar, say "gotch", and give the dog a treat. This teaches the dog that bad things don't always happen when we grab the collar (like taking stuff away, dragging him away). Between these two exercises, we've eliminated Casper's biting at the leash and halter. He'd always try to bite it and us when we were putting it on and taking it off. The only "downside" is that now the puppy is all calm when we get ready to go for a walk. It's kind of nice if your dog is all happy about his walk -just not too much!

For the hugging problem, try the Calm=Release exercise: Calm = Release | mysmartpuppy.com Our puppy loves this one!

I can take the gentle mouthing, but when he wrinkles up his nose, that's when he's gone too far. I don't know what it means in doggie language, but that's when I end the game.

·
and River!
168 Posts
Okay, so Gabbar is 4 months and 1 week old. My husband and I truly adore him to bits. But are struggling with two areas:
1. We had started walking Gabbar the moment we got home. He loves his walks. We started teaching him heel and he was doing so well, up until two days ago. We don't get why our walks have become so difficult. He keeps pulling side ways the whole walk to get to the nature strip to sniff and no matter how much treats you give him to stay with you, he doesn't seem to care anymore, he will walk 1 meter then it's a sudden lunge side ways and when he does get to the area he wants to sniff, that's it he won't move no matter treats or anything. He also like protests when you don't let him go to the nature strip ( make the leash short to keep him next to you) he suddenly becomes dead weight on the ground. What a pain!!!
Maybe this will help:

His belief is that dogs should operate under The Premack Principle: less desirable behaviors (ex. heeling) are rewarding with more desirable behaviors (ex. being allowed to go sniff something interesting). So you might ask for a heel and instead of rewarding him with a treat, tell him to go sniff and give him some extra time to enjoy being in the grass. Then ask for a heel again, go on your way, and when he's walking nicely, don't feel afraid to interrupt it by releasing him to go sniff as a reward. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts