Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys i need help i really DO , My Vet says that my baby doesn't seem to be growing as much as she should at 5 months & has recommended me growth hormones to trigger the growth , but that's something i really can't digest & i think it won't good for my baby ...

the following is a video of my girl , i never have been a parent before
this is my first experience at having a pet .. please help me

Nishka - YouTube

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Wow, I have never heard of giving growth hormones before. She does seem on the small side, but I believe a member here has a full grown male who tops out at less than 50 pounds. Some Goldens are just smaller than others.

Is she still growing on a monthly basis? I too would hesitate to give growth hormones but I am by no means an expert in growth hormones. Does the vet suspect some sort of issue with her hormones?

·
Premium Member
18,410 Posts
My personal opinion, she is a good weight and height for 5 months old, and she looks lovely. I would not agree to growth hormones, to me she looks perfectly fine for her age.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
She looks cute, and just fine to me. Is she a bit high in the rear? That is often the case when they are still growing-they don't grow evenly and will sometimes appear high in the rear, and would be pretty typical of a 5-month old.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well yes in d past 2-3 weeks she grown around 2-3 inches taller ..
the problem is i haven't seen the parents , the pet industry here in India sucks down to core
. there are no laws nor are there any checks done . you simply have to go on your vets word while getting a dog ..my vet says she's growing but not as fast as she should .. a small amount of growth hormones would help her get a growth spurt .. but I'm still wondering is that okay ? she is just 5 months old

·
Registered
169 Posts
Annie is about the same size. My vet said she is small, but as long as she is well proportioned, not to worry. There are several "mini" retrievers on this site.

·
Loving Flyball
1,626 Posts
She looks absolutely fine to me!! My young male was only 19" at 9 months. He is now almost 5, is 21 3/4" and weighs 48lbs, my bitch who is 3 is the same height and 50lbs. I wouldn't want to give her the hormones:(

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
she looks fine and super cute, typical golden pup.If she eats all her food ,happy ,poops and pees-she is fine. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
Did your vet do any tests or just eye-balled your sweetie ?

I found this article on dwarfism in dogs (Dwarfism (Hypopituitarism) - Page 1 ) it mentions the use of growth hormones as treatment. However, I would not give those without the need for them proven by tests (see article for which ones).

Don't dismiss the idea completely but ask for proof of the condition that requires the use of those hormones.

·
Registered
490 Posts
well yes in d past 2-3 weeks she grown around 2-3 inches taller ..
the problem is i haven't seen the parents , the pet industry here in India sucks down to core
. there are no laws nor are there any checks done . you simply have to go on your vets word while getting a dog ..my vet says she's growing but not as fast as she should .. a small amount of growth hormones would help her get a growth spurt .. but I'm still wondering is that okay ? she is just 5 months old

I think your VET is part of that industry. Your golden is completely fine.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Your golden pup is just fine. I looked at the other two video clips you posted from when she was younger and I don't think you have anything to worry about. She looks perfectly normal to me. Like a lot of bitches she may be a little long in the back and at five months she has quite a bit more growing to do yet. She is certainly not showing signs of dwarfism to me. Don't worry. :wavey:

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
I agree, she is perfect. Her weight is par for her age and her height looks fine to me too. I would tell your Vet "Thank You", but I like her like she is! I think she looks fine.

·
goldenfan
695 Posts
I would not be worried at all. Different breeding lines grow at different rates and to be honest, it is probably better if they grow more slowly. Don't give her any growth hormones, the faster the puppy grows the more likely there are to be joint problems. I have been breeding for over 40 years and have had puppies that size at that age also some much bigger She will be fine Annef

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Say no to growth hormones!! Why would anyone care what size your beautiful girl is? My smallest golden, Laney was 35 lbs at six months. She grew up to be 52 lbs.

Reactions: Takasnooze

·
2 dogs, 2 cats, so what!
62 Posts
Here is a golden growth and height chart. She seems to be on the average range according to this. Again, I'm no expert.
Golden Retriever Puppy Growth Charts

Hmm, this chart averages the female puppy weight at 2 years...smallest 76lb/largest 90lbs and average 80.86lbs.

Golden Retriever - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here it lists females average fully grown weight at 60-70 lbs.

Thats a huge discrepancy. :confused:
edit: Actually looking at that chart more, it has males averaging 71lbs fully grown vs females at 80.86, that chart sucks. lmao.

·
Registered
10,524 Posts
Hmm, this chart averages the female puppy weight at 2 years...smallest 76lb/largest 90lbs and average 80.86lbs.
Wow-that's way oversized for a female Golden!

From the GRCA standard

Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds

I would say those weights are good averages. You will always have a few outside the spectrum, but I know most of the males I have inquired about as far as stud service seem to weigh between 72 and 80 pounds.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts