Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Charlotte
5,852 Posts
I've had the small stainless steel cans with step-on lids since Jess was a puppy. And I always have them positioned backwards so they are harder to access. We've never had a problem with Jess getting into the garbage ( he's too busy counter-surfing).

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Stainless Steel with the pedal, that I will say Cruiser knows how to step on it and open the lid.. its now in the closet, till he figures out how to open that door

·
Dog Lover for Life
220 Posts
I bought a Stainless steal Trash can for the Kitchen years ago. It has been working great here. The dogs even the pup now have never tried to get into the trash. For the bathroom I have a very small one since my first Golden years ago loved to steal kleenex out of it.
All the best,
Elke, Bogart and Mini Cooper

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
We just use a regular plastic wastebasket, but it's under the sink with a child safety lock on the cupboard door. I caught him sniffing at the door once and knew it wouldn't be long before he figured out how to open it.

The bathroom wastebaskets are also under the sinks, behind closed doors, but I haven't had to install safety locks there, yet. He's never paid any attention to them and we close the bathroom doors when he's left home alone, anyway.

·
Didge's Mommy!
1,144 Posts
Thankfully we have room under our kitchen sink for ours but I learned a trick a long time ago from a dog trainer....mouse traps.....

IF you dog is big enough that he won't actually get caught IN the trap, you put a few set mouse traps in the garbage at the top with a newspaper gently over the top and maybe a piece of lunch meat to entice them over....(under the traps)....

When we lived in another house and our garbage was out years ago, we had a dog that would NOT keep his nose out of it and we tried this one time.....he never put his nose in there again!!!

Again..... if he is a little pup and could get his snout or paw trapped, then DON"T do this, but most of the time, if they are big enough to get up in there, they are big enough that the trap just scares them, doesn't snap them...

21 - 26 of 26 Posts