Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What type of garbage container do the experienced GR people recommend? Our puppy Tucker has just gotten big enough to stick his nose into our ours and take off with stuff. :)

Am looking at some stainless steels ones with lids. Any recs? Need info SOON. Am buying it today, no matter what. :doh:

Thanks!

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Garbage Can

We just have a plastic garbage can that fits under the sink, behind closed doors.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Have you tried one of those nice narrow round, rather modern -looking ones that have the lid on them and you have to use the foot pedal to open? Or would Tucker figure that one out and help himself? Any pantry space or mud room/laundry room that you could re-locate your current trash can? Don't know the lay out of your living situation, so just trying to help with figuring out what options you might have available. Good luck.

·
gone
1,443 Posts
We have the stainless steel with the lid and step lever to lift the lid, Bayne chewed off the step peddle though when he was a pup so now it's just the steel lever we step on, can't step with bare feet though it's hard on the foot if you're ticklish. LOL

·
Dog Lover
42,036 Posts
Stainless

I think as long as the lid is secure and dog can't push lid open or step on pedal to open it, the large size should be good.

·
where the tails wag
13,343 Posts
I use a stainless steel, lidded pail with a foot pedal in the kitchen. Bamboo pails with lids and foot pedals are used in the bathrooms and dog room.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
We have a recycling cabinet that also has the kitchen garbage can in it.
Great way to keep out curious noses!!!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have a great one that I bought at the Crate and Barrel Outlet. It has a lockable cover and a foot pedal, I haven't had to lock it yet, as the dogs never tried anything but I love the fact that I can if I have to!

·
Premium Member
17,927 Posts
Had to move mine into the laundry room, kept coming home to trash emptied all over the kitchen.

·
& Golden Roxy And Roo To
2,023 Posts
Hmm.... we still use the regular trash can from KMart, lid that slides up. Ive caught the Goldens sniffing on occasion, so at those times when the trash must smell really really good I just turn the can around. No problems yet.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I also have one of the trash cans with the foot pedal to open the lid. I have it positioned under a cupboard drawer handle. I have to slide it over about an inch to open it, but I know if they ever figure out the step pedal while I'm gone, at least the lid won't open enough to get a head in :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Get a trash compactor. It's the only one that works for us.

We put the lidded cans, with foot pedals, at the lakehouse. Banker figured out the foot pedal within 24 hours (6 months old). So we turned it around to face the cabinet. Even though it is a large one, Banker figured out that he could scoot it over just enough to work the pedal. I've also seen him lift the lid with his nose.
Fortunately, he always brings me his prizes.

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
We had to go with a can under the cabinet because our dogs became masters at getting into the trashcan WITH a lid!! Once they realized that there was yummy leftover food and wrappers in there, they got into it every single day. Not fun.

I have heard that this can is great and dog proof due to the opening being along the center and nothing a nose can lift up:

simplehuman: products: fingerprint-proof butterfly step can

Yes, it's pretty **** expensive for a trashcan... but I read on a blog that some lady makes who has a Husky who gets in every trash can that this is the only trash can he can't get into. Worth a try maybe? You could always return it if it doesn't work!!

Our new house we're moving into next month doesn't have a place for our under the cabinet trash can either so we may be trying this one then.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Stainless steel can is up on a counter top in the kitchen, put into the pantry behind closed doors when company comes over. We learned, oh boy did we learn. :doh::doh: Bathroom trash cans are on top of the toilet. Study trash cans--mine is on my desk, hubby's is on the floor. I am constantly trading Toby for "treasures" he extracts from hubby's trash.:(

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 26 Posts