Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love the song September by earth wind and fire.. is it a coincidence that Tucker was born then?? I think not! it must've been fate. =) I love my boy!! is there anyone else out there who has a september pup and would like to keep on the same page inTraining and whatnot?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Gabby was born 9/28 at 11:30 PM her papers have her brothers birthday which was the 29th. So Gabby gets to celebrate for TWO days!!!

I would love a place for us to talk about our September babies!

Today Gabby takes her first obedience class.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
DH noticed last weekend that it looked like adult teeth were starting to bud. Earlier in the week the vet didn't see any... Let the fun begin.

Guess I need to get old wash cloths really wet and freeze them, then she has something OTHER THAN US to chew on.

Gabby has been cranky lately and I suspect that is why. She is more unsettled. I know the next month for sure will be trying, I find it improves as the last of the teeth do their thing. I hope I find a baby tooth. I didn't from Quinn. I did from Teddi.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Moxie has lost 9 teeth. I think number 10 will come out today. Teething makes her sleepy! She has also started that lovely stage of humping. My 8 year old asked, "oh, why is she shaking?". Just with stuffed animals, not people. She is so good in the house and we are dilligently working on not pulling when on leash. We start classes next week!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget was born on 9/28. Yes, he is teething too - there are two lower incisors and now the two front upper ones are coming in. It isn't making him sleepy - it's turned him into a chew machine.

I love puppies; but I'd love to skip this stage!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Gabby had her first obedience training session on Friday. The trainer is a golden breeder. It was pretty fun to have her see Gabby and say "Wow, that is a pretty pup!"

Gabby was very good. We worked on motivation games, a little on heeling, started teaching her to back which will lead into the fold back down.

When we got there (first lesson) we had a long talk session, then we worked Teddi. Gabby was not happy. The trainer likes to have music to work with, she would turn the volume up and down. At one point I asked her to point her remote at Gabby and see if we could turn her volume down. LOL It was hard on Gabby. She is crated most of the day when I am at work (we do have someone let her out once during the day) then we got home about 4:45, put the dogs out fed them, then loaded Teddi and Gabby up at 5PM and headed out the door. Got to the training place (30+ minute drive) pottied the dogs and back into a crate they went. Gabby was NOT happy. C'est le vie.

Took Gabby with me on Sunday to an agility trial with Belle. She was a STAR!!!! She did not make a peep in her crate. Gabby got to come out between Belle's runs and socialize. She was very good. I took opportunity to also work her on the commands she knows in a highly distracted atmosphere. She did awesome. I was also thrilled when I was busy with Belle, she settled down and tried to snooze. She needs to learn how, and I am glad after just a couple outings she is figuring it out. I did realize she needs to learn to poop somewhere that is not home. She did it but it took her all day. She had to go since AM.

Then we finished the day yesterday going to our training place, they were having a fun match (agility) and my DH and his pup Quinn were running. We volunteered to tear down, so we helped with that. After all the big contacts were ready for the puppy class tonight, so I got to put Gabby on them. She did the A frame (3 feet high) for the second time, she was good. She did the dog walk (2 feet high) for the first time. She was cautious the first time then started running across it. She LOVES tunnels (yes I have a tunnel sucker) and she ran through the tunnel too. She was a happy puppy last night.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
AHHHH!!! I am not alone! Tucker was born Sept eleventh has lost a molar first due to my other dog and him roughing it up a bit much. All his front teeth top and bottom are new and I found him chewing on another molar about 3 days ago...

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
I can't wait to start agility with Banker. I was told no height and no poles until age one. :(
Banker was a brat at class this week. We have a new member, a one year old black coated retriever. The first class, Buster wanted to play with Banker the entire time, but Banker was excellent. This week, Banker wanted to play, play, play. He did well when introduced to a new behavior, but it interesting.
He is at the grow, grow, grow stage. Every week, he is changing so much.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
I can't wait to start agility with Banker. I was told no height and no poles until age one. :(
Glad to hear that. Your trainer is right but there is a LOT to learn and prepare for that you can be surprised. Agility is a LOT of fun. Our lab pup is 15 months, she is learning the weaves right now. She did puppy class from 6 months to a year, then we moved to a beginner agility class and took contacts the first session, now doing weaves with the beginner class. Our trainer has told us as soon as Quinn understands her weaves, we can move to the intermediate class. Her jumps, understanding turns, lead outs, following motion, are great. Her contacts are rock solid. We started really early teaching her all that even before puppy class.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
More and more teeth coming out!! Ohhh! looks like Tuck is almost done! Obedience class is starting this next month. I want him to socialize with other dogs, instead of the limited few we interact with right now. He loves "swimming" in the tub and can't wait till it warms up and we can hit the docks.. I think he will be awesome!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Oh soo glad there are more people joining this is going to be fabulous!! Tucker is getting a late start in his puppy classes, but he's doing great at home.. just need some fine tuning... I really wanted to get him into the agility classes but can't seem to find any that are close enough for me... though water is soooo his forte right now I think after his classes then we can join the Dock dogs here in town.. :)

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Banker just had his 5th puppy class on Sunday. It was not a good class for him - distracted, wanting to play. It was very noticable to the other class members. He has always been the teacher's pet. During the long Come, he was busy smelling the World.
This is way too early for this stage.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Gabby as I posted had her first swim this past weekend. Our obedience classes have been put on the back burner :no: The trainers mom is elderly and ill and in hospice. So no classes until further notice. So now I don't know what to do. I REALLY like this trainer. I may go to the trainer where I train agility for convenience but I have to see the schedule. I really don't want another day I have to drive back to Ann Arbor. I work there and spend 3 evenings a week there now.... decisions.

I think Gabby is practically toothless. LOL She has lost it seems a LOT of teeth. She has a vet appointment on Thursday for a vaccination, I will have the vet take a closer look. Funny though she still eats like a speed demon without teeth.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts