Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a lovely 5 year old retriever who is showing signs of being anxious when a family member steps away from the group but can still be seen and I was looking for any tips to help train this to make things easier for him?

He doesn't have any anxiety issues if left at home, or if you leave him where he can't see you (he lies down and snoozes happily when he's waiting at school pick up while I nip round the corner unseen) - it really just seems to be when you are in the distance.

A couple of examples:

In the park there is a kids playground where dogs of course are not allowed. My son and his granny went off to play and I stayed with our dogs but he spent the whole time barking and trying to get to them.

In a dog friendly cafe I left him with other family members to grab a cup of tea and he barked like mad even though I was only say 5 feet away.

However - when outside and I nipped into the toilet and he couldn't see me he sits happily (I asked people if he barked or looked upset when I left and apparently he just sat looking relaxed!)

Just looking for ideas really for training to help him with this ??

·
Registered
162 Posts
My dog does this -- when I leave him in the car he barks like crazy until I've disappeared into the store, library or whatever. He stops as soon as he can't see me (I've peeked), and when I come out of wherever I've been he's usually asleep. He's also done some damage to the inside of the car (scratch marks on the inside of the doors etc.)

I don't have a solution for you...hoe someone does!!!

·
Glynis
2,534 Posts
Harley doesn't like it when "the group" separates. He doesn't bark or anything but you can tell he is not comfortable. Once "the leavers" are out of sight he gets over it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts