Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7 month old female puppy. She's had diarrhea/soft stool issues for about the past 4 months off and on. She's been on metronizadole and currently Tylan which both work like a charm. Her soft stool returns about a week after shes off Tylan but after a return visit to the vet he said hes never seen a puppy with diarrhea issues not work itself out with limited ingredient diet, time, and growth and that Tylan is a miracle medicine that works like a charm and doesn't hurt to keep dogs on just a small dose everyday (she gets 1/8-1/4 teaspoon every morning). My question is would allergy free, all natural etc etc Elk Antlers be a wise choice to give her? She's a very aggressive and destructive chewer and my neighbor has antlers and when shes over there she goes crazy over them. Thoughts on if these would be a good, safe, durable option?

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
They ARE recommended for pups with sensitive tummies - that's how I discovered them. My pup was also a very dedicated chewer, and loved them. BUT - then my vet told me that almost every dog she sees with a cracked tooth - has been chewing on an antler. :frown2: No more antlers. So, just a word of caution.

Reactions: yvette

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They ARE recommended for pups with sensitive tummies - that's how I discovered them. My pup was also a very dedicated chewer, and loved them. BUT - then my vet told me that almost every dog she sees with a cracked tooth - has been chewing on an antler. :frown2: No more antlers. So, just a word of caution.
May I ask what you do use since your dog is a dedicated chewer? I certainly don't want any cracked teeth.

·
Registered
10,565 Posts
Some of the antlers are softer than others. I use antlers and frozen raw bones, 10+ years and no cracked teeth yet.

This guy, Michigan Antler Art, Michigan Antler Art - Home , has varying degrees of hardness available. I have found deer, and red deer especially, to be pretty soft.

·
Super Moderator Leader
54,161 Posts
Some of the antlers are softer than others. I use antlers and frozen raw bones, 10+ years and no cracked teeth yet.

This guy, Michigan Antler Art, Michigan Antler Art - Home , has varying degrees of hardness available. I have found deer, and red deer especially, to be pretty soft.
I've ordered from this guy several times, great customer service, antlers are shipped right away.

·
Registered
13,663 Posts
May I ask what you do use since your dog is a dedicated chewer? I certainly don't want any cracked teeth.
I use Nylabones - the Large or Extra Large. They have a bit more give. She doesn't love them as much as she loved antlers, but she will still chew for a good 45 minutes at a time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts