Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone. For a couple months now, Maggie doesn't always squat to go poops. Sometimes it just comes out as she walks, sort of like an Easter Bunny toy that drops an egg as it walks. Lately, however, she leaves me a nice round little poop inside the house. And she isn't even ashamed of it, it's as if she doesn't realize it happened. It's not loose - it's a solid "marble." I don't even bring it to her attention, she's never been one to mess in the house.

Could she be losing muscle control back there? I just wondered if anyone has had this experience with their senior.

She's due for a vet visit so I will talk to him about this. Any advice is welcomed. Thanks.

·
Registered
913 Posts
How Senior is Maggie? I think you probably nailed it on the head and she's loosing some muscle control. You might have to start letting her out a little more often, start scheduling potty times more like a puppy.
Love her sweet sugar face?

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maggie is 13+ (not sure of her birthdate).
A couple times, I found the poop in her bed, so maybe she's straining to stand up and it comes out???
Good idea - let her out more often, like a puppy. Thank you!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
During the last year or two of Toby's life (he died at age 15), he frequently would poop in his sleep at night. He was one who NEVER went in the house, so I think it was, as you suggested, age-related loosening of the sphincter muscles. But definitely mention it to your vet.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
Hey there!
Sounds to me like either arthritis pain keeping her from assuming "the position", or possibly some spinal nerve damage that's causing it. Unfortunately, age related. For sure mention it to her vet.
Did she have accupuncture at Pawsitively? People rave about it. I think the chiropractor helped my Toby a lot, too....he adjusted him to take some pressure off Toby's lower spinal cord. Says he has "calcified disk at L7-Sacrum (lumbosacral junction)" as shown on the xray that my own vet took. He told me that that could cause bowel/bladder problems, although we haven't seen any with the Toby yet.
Great to see you over the weekend, thanks for being ringside and clapping!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
My dad had a senior dog(not a golden) she had hurt her back and as the back problem got worse she started doing the same thing....

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I had an old Golden who squatted a little and walked while he "went". My vet said it was age related and due to spondolosis (sp?) of the spine. He never suggested any medication, but it sure wouldn't hurt to ask. Maybe there is something out there that would help. Also, keep and eye on her and make sure she isn't hurting. Tramp would get to where he absolutely could not walk until he had a session with a heating pad and massager (me and an electric one).
Good luck with your girl. I love old dogs the best!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
Our German Shepherd, who will be 10 years old in May, has started to have to go out a lot more. She actually had an accident (#2) in the house a few days ago, which she hasn't done in many, many years. We are now having to let her out a lot more often since she doesn't seem to be able to hold it as long as she used to.

·
<---Bring on the grub!!!!
3,737 Posts
Hi Everyone. For a couple months now, Maggie doesn't always squat to go poops. Sometimes it just comes out as she walks, sort of like an Easter Bunny toy that drops an egg as it walks. Lately, however, she leaves me a nice round little poop inside the house. And she isn't even ashamed of it, it's as if she doesn't realize it happened. It's not loose - it's a solid "marble." I don't even bring it to her attention, she's never been one to mess in the house.

Could she be losing muscle control back there? I just wondered if anyone has had this experience with their senior.

This is an exact description of what Hershey (14-3/4 yr old lab) has been doing lately, and yes, it does remind me of the wind up easter toy that poops out jelly beans when it walks.

Most of the time it just falls out while she is walking to the door to go out or it will come out while she is still on her bed. She doesn't seem to be aware of it and it's pretty firm in texture so it doesn't make any kind of mess. I just pick them up with a baggie. She would never poop in the house on purpose...poor girl :eek:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi I have a 10 year old GD that does the same,she does squat when out but sometimes in the house her tail will start to lift and will go without realising also some mornings she has gone in her sleep our vet has said it is loss of muscle control,like you we don't make a fuss but if we can see it is about to happen we get her outside asap.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Hi I know this is an old thread and you may have Maggies issue resolved, but as I said in my last post we had the same issue with Jade however we have had a breakthrough and thought it may help.
We went to the vet and mentioned that Jade would soil her bed in her sleep completely unaware, they suggested arthritis in her back and the pain was blocking her awareness (sorry not very good at explaining) anyway she suggested that we put her on Metacam which we have done and we have not had one instance of incontinence since (2 weeks)before it had got to the point it was happening every night regardless if I stayed up until 1am and got up at 5am.
This may not help but thought I would share.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you everyone, and honeysmum! In your first post you mentioned something that I now watch for: her tail will start to lift. That's exactly what she does and as long as I see that, I can get her outside in time.

I am glad the Metacam has helped your Jade. Maggie was on that for a few years and it worked wonders for her pain relief. We switched her to Previcox once the Metacam wasn't working as well.

Between her age and arthritis in the spine which blocks the nerve responses to the brain, well her little gifts just happen. Not too often and of course it doesn't bother me, after all she's the Queen of our home and she can't help it. I just hope someone will be so understanding when it starts to happen to me. (Just kidding)

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
In my opinion the older they get the more regal, Jade being 10 1/2 GD this medication has been a blessing and she should be able to stay on it for rest of her life time (if I am realistic about the time we have left with her) the messing thing was not a problem just rather unpleasant but I do feel guilty that we didn't think of that earlier.
Hope Maggie is doing well

·
Registered
5 Posts
My golden is not able to stand without help. The vet said she may have arthritis, so he put her on rimdyl. Now she would stand after 48 hours on medication, but now she isn't. She is also not able to stand to poop or pee. So she sits and does her business. She wags her tail and looks up at you. My husband and I just don't know what to do. We have discussed that it's not fair to her to just sit and lay around all day. She eats, if I put it in front of her. Maybe we should put her down. She'll be 11 years old this year. It's so hard I agree to watch out dogs get old and suffer.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Mygoldn, Im sorry that your old sweetheart is having those problems. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your sweet golden.

·
Registered
20,992 Posts
May I suggest you take her to a veterinary chiropractor (that is, a DVM who is also a chiropractor)? It has helped my Toby dog tremendously. He has a calcified disk in his back, and it seems to be causing most of the problems for him. Now that his spine is correctly aligned (and needs to be realigned every 2 months or so) he is much better.
Good luck, let us know how she's doing.

My golden is not able to stand without help. The vet said she may have arthritis, so he put her on rimdyl. Now she would stand after 48 hours on medication, but now she isn't. She is also not able to stand to poop or pee. So she sits and does her business. She wags her tail and looks up at you. My husband and I just don't know what to do. We have discussed that it's not fair to her to just sit and lay around all day. She eats, if I put it in front of her. Maybe we should put her down. She'll be 11 years old this year. It's so hard I agree to watch out dogs get old and suffer.

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts

Doesn't your vet offer any other answers for your sweet girl? Reading your post breaks my heart for her. I'd see another vet.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts