Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody have a Goldie that has just started having seizures at age 11? Our Kassie has them about once a month with what I call focal seizures sometimes during the day when she will just tremor and/or shake a little. Not what you would call a seizure. She also seems a little off balance sometimes. Would like to know what you all think. Tks.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Hi, I have the same thing going on with our 9 year old. Did you ever find out what it was?
This thread is several years old so not sure they will reply. If you are really experiencing seizures there is medication but this is going to require a vet visit & bloodwork. If you can record what you are calling a seizure it will help the vet to see what is happening. Much easier to diagnose if you witness the problem.
A vet visit will also let him check the ears... off balance can sometimes indicate an inner ear problem. Not the yeasty black gunk ear problem but an infection behind the eardrum. I hope the visit to the clinic helps figure out what's going on with your pup..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I took him to a neurologist and he is on Zonisimide and it isn't helping. He's actually twitching, and not seizing, just like this post mentioned. Just thought I'd see if they had figured anything out. Thank you!

·
Super Moderator
1,252 Posts
If you do not get enough of a response to this old thread, feel free to start a new one.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The creatinine level is high. Looks like he has the beginning signs of renal disease now, too. We elected not to do an MRI or spinal tap because we would not do surgery due to his age, so we don't know what the underlying issue is. He is being treated as having mini-seizures but the meds aren't helping, and the jerks are happening more often. I thought I might try integratingm CBD oil, but when I spoke to the CBD company they said some new studies had come out that indicate CBD may interfere with Zonisimide, and they advised me to wait to give the CBD to him until 6 hours after he's had the Zonisimide. I asked the neurologist about this, but he doesn't know anything about it since CBD is not part of their practice. So...I just thought I might find someone who's had the same experience. Thanks!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dear Toby's mum,
I wish to ask you first of all when did you have your last vaccinations? Rabies and dhppL or any other? including your last deworming& flea drops and which brand???
Creatinine levels maybe high but please also ask your vet for SDMA levels which is a more precise reference for kidney issues .I went through that personally.
CBD Oil definitely helps and it is a pitty that it is not a part of their practice but it is even used and suggested by the top Vet Uni in UK for seizures. Actually even more than CBD oil I would also "Belladona" which of course shall be prepared /or suggested by an experienced homeopath .
Taking his age into consideration , I believe it's time to see a holistic vet & homeopath . You will not need it only for seizures, nutrition but also for cleansing the body ( flushing the toxins out of his body which the kidneys cannot do properly) in addition to support his cardiac system which is threatened by the renal failure .
However, let's find out first about on the vaccinations ...& SDMA rate and accordingly proceed with also a holistic vet.
All will go well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear Toby's mum,
I wish to ask you first of all when did you have your last vaccinations? Rabies and dhppL or any other? including your last deworming& flea drops and which brand???
Creatinine levels maybe high but please also ask your vet for SDMA levels which is a more precise reference for kidney issues .I went through that personally.
CBD Oil definitely helps and it is a pitty that it is not a part of their practice but it is even used and suggested by the top Vet Uni in UK for seizures. Actually even more than CBD oil I would also "Belladona" which of course shall be prepared /or suggested by an experienced homeopath .
Taking his age into consideration , I believe it's time to see a holistic vet & homeopath . You will not need it only for seizures, nutrition but also for cleansing the body ( flushing the toxins out of his body which the kidneys cannot do properly) in addition to support his cardiac system which is threatened by the renal failure .
However, let's find out first about on the vaccinations ...& SDMA rate and accordingly proceed with also a holistic vet.
All will go well.
Dear Toby's mum,
All will go well.
Hi Peri29,

Actually, Toby is my dog, and Kassie was the dog from the original post. We've had Toby since he was 11 weeks old.

Toby's last rabies shot was 3 years ago, and the other shots were given several years ago. I've always had titers done on him, and his levels are good. He takes heartwarm (Heartgard) medicine about 5 or 6 months out of the year. His last Heartgard pill was probably in October 2019.

What is a SDMA level? His Creatinine level was high and two of his urine specimens were dilute. She wants to take his blood pressure but she thinks it won't be accurate because he's so nervous going into the vet. So we haven't done that yet.

Unfortunately, the vets here are not familiar enough with CBD and don't know how to prescribe it, or if it's viable as they haven't studied it. When I contacted a reputable CBD company here, the person said they had read recently that CBD may interfere with Zonisimide, and from looking into it, it appears it increases the strength of the Zonisimide. So I'm concerned about giving it to him while he's on Zonisimide. I am taking him to another neurologist this weekend for another opinion.

For some reason I can't seem to find a holistic vet around me. I'm going to keep looking again though as I would like to see if I can make a better kidney support food for him myself. Unfortunately, the Royal Canin (kidney) food I just picked up for him, was not only extremely expensive, but the first ingredient is corn. (Heavy sigh.)

Have you had a dog with any of these issues? Thank you for your insight!

·
Registered
580 Posts
Dear,I ll reply you very short since I am on mobile.It is diff to go in detail.I ll be more in detail on pc.Yes,I have a rescue dog which became a family dig but with total different signs&symptoms.At the moment we eliminate the vaccination side effects.You can collect urine at home.you have to ask for a stetilized cup from your vet and bring it back to your vet.Yes,you are correct that Cbd may interfere with other drugs therefore also suggested Belladonna which has also scientifically more approved.However,first we shall know the root of her illness.SDMA measures Arginine,a type of Aminoacid which gives you a more decisive and accurate result than creatinine for chronic kidney diseases.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Here's an interesting read on CBD for dogs. I am a huge proponent IF it is purchased from a reliable source that makes no miracle claims. I used this on my own since passed 14.5 yr old Border Collie with amazing results! She was ready to be PTS last July, but she did very well until the inevitable just before the new yr. After 2 weeks on CBD..the improvement was VERY noticeable!

Edit: I used the human dosing schedule on the package..but began at half strength. With most things Cannabis..less is More!
disclaimer: I am not affiliated with SST or anyone else.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,854 Posts
Here is info from the FDA regarding CBD products for use in animals, you should also check your State Laws regarding purchasing CBD products, it is still Illegal in many US States.

Pets and other Animals
24. I’ve seen cannabis products being marketed for pets. Are they safe?
A. FDA is aware of some cannabis products being marketed as animal health products. We want to stress that FDA has not approved cannabis for any use in animals, and the agency cannot ensure the safety or effectiveness of these products. For these reasons, FDA cautions pet-owners against the use of such products and recommends that you talk with your veterinarian about appropriate treatment options for your pet.
Signs that your pet may be suffering adverse effects from ingesting cannabis may include lethargy, depression, heavy drooling, vomiting, agitation, tremors, and convulsions.
If you have concerns that your pet is suffering adverse effects from ingesting cannabis or any substance containing cannabis, consult your veterinarian, local animal emergency hospital or an animal poison control center immediately.
While the agency is aware of reports of pets consuming various forms of cannabis, to date, FDA has not directly received any reports of adverse events associated with animals given cannabis products. However, adverse events from accidental ingestion are well-documented in scientific literature. If you feel your animal has suffered from ingesting cannabis, we encourage you to report the adverse event to the FDA. Please visit Reporting Information about Animal Drugs and Devices to learn more about how to report an adverse event related to an animal drug or for how to report an adverse event or problem with a pet food.

25. Can hemp be added to animal food?
A. All ingredients in animal food must be the subject of an approved food additive petition or generally recognized as safe (GRAS) for their intended use in the intended species. If an animal food contains an ingredient that is not the subject of an approved food additive petition or GRAS for its intended use in the intended species, that animal food would be adulterated under section 402(a)(2)(C)(i) of the FD&C Act [21 U.S.C. § 342(a)(2)(C)(i)]. In coordination with state feed control officials, CVM also recognizes ingredients listed in the Official Publication (OP) of the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) as being acceptable for use in animal food. At this time, there are no approved food additive petitions or ingredient definitions listed in the AAFCO OP for any substances derived from hemp, and we are unaware of any GRAS conclusions regarding the use of any substances derived from hemp in animal food. Learn more about animal food ingredient submissions here.
With respect to products labeled to contain "hemp" that may also contain THC or CBD, as mentioned above it is a prohibited act under section 301(ll) of the FD&C Act to introduce or deliver for introduction into interstate commerce any animal food to which THC or CBD has been added.

26. Can approved human drugs containing CBD or synthetic THC be used extralabel in animals?
A. The Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act of 1994 (AMDUCA), permits veterinarians to prescribe extralabel uses of approved human and animal drugs for animals under certain conditions. Extralabel use must comply with all the provisions of AMDUCA and its implementing regulation at 21 CFR § 530. Among other limitations, these provisions allow extralabel use of a drug only on the lawful order of a licensed veterinarian in the context of a valid veterinarian-client-patient relationship and only in circumstances when the health of an animal is threatened or suffering, or death may result from failure to treat.
In addition, under 21 CFR 530.20, extralabel use of an approved human drug in a food-producing animal is not permitted if an animal drug approved for use in food-producing animals can be used in an extralabel manner for the use. In addition, under 21 CFR 530.20(b)(2), if scientific information on the human food safety aspect of the use of the approved human drug in food-producing animals is not available, the veterinarian must take appropriate measures to ensure that the animal and its food products will not enter the human food supply.

For more information on extralabel use of FDA approved drugs in animals, see Extralabel Use of FDA Approved Drugs In Animals.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Luckily we all can make decisions based on our own non-conflicting research and do what we think is best for both ourselves as well as those in our charge. The FDA is OK as a general guide, but they also make mistakes..Some deadly like Thalidomide, back in the 50's with their then state of the art testing. Of late there was another FDA approved medicine..Celebrex; later recalled (I fell victim to that one)..Zantac is yet another approved and recalled item (Cancer risk) as the lawsuits have begun in earnest. ). The FDA also continued to approve even stronger opiods after the epidemic was in full swing. I don't say don't pay attention; I just say..."do your own research and decide for yourself"

Personally I will not use CBD oil specially marketed for pets, as they are not available in our dispensarys (they used to be, but thanx to the FDA, they are no longer), and I won't ever buy that kind of thing mail order. The Full spectrum CBD oil that I used is from a Nevada State approved dispensary and has been certified to be free of additives, pesticides, and the like. It also meets the Federally mandated requirement for <.3% THC
THC is NOT good for dogs as they have MANY more Cannabinoid receptors then we have.

I always wondered if it's so bad for everyone, just why animals (humans too) have had Cannabinoid receptors since the dawn of man.

Edit: If I recall, CBD was still illegal in 2 states; South Dakota and North Carolina. Here is a list from August 2019 so you can check your own state laws. from there you can google the specifics of each and every law at the state level.

==================================================================================
From: FDA approves opioid painkiller 1,000 times stronger than morphine

"A new opioid tablet that is 1,000 times more potent than morphine and 10 times stronger than fentanyl was approved by the Food and Drug Administration Friday as a fast-acting alternative to IV painkillers used in hospitals.
The painkiller Dsuvia will be restricted to limited use only in health care settings, such as hospitals, surgery centers and emergency rooms, but critics worry the opioid will fuel an already grim opioid epidemic.
Also on Friday, the Drug Enforcement Administration released a report showing that prescription drugs were responsible for the most overdose deaths of any illicit drugs since 2001.
Democratic Senator Ed Markey of Massachusetts urged the FDA not to approve Dsuvia last month, saying “an opioid that is a thousand times more powerful than morphine is a thousand times more likely to be abused, and a thousand times more likely to kill."
To that, FDA Commissioner Scott Gottlieb said in a statement that "very tight restrictions" will be placed on Dsuvia."

=====================================================================================

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dear,I ll reply you very short since I am on mobile.It is diff to go in detail.I ll be more in detail on pc.Yes,I have a rescue dog which became a family dig but with total different signs&symptoms.At the moment we eliminate the vaccination side effects.You can collect urine at home.you have to ask for a stetilized cup from your vet and bring it back to your vet.Yes,you are correct that Cbd may interfere with other drugs therefore also suggested Belladonna which has also scientifically more approved.However,first we shall know the root of her illness.SDMA measures Arginine,a type of Aminoacid which gives you a more decisive and accurate result than creatinine for chronic kidney diseases.
Thanks all! I did take urine samples in and that's when I was told they were low concentrate. So based on those results combined with the creatinine tests she thinks it's kidney disease.

Regarding the CBD and his mini-seizures, one neurologist said they didn't know enough about it to prescribe it but that some of their clients were using it successfully, some not. The vet tech told me I could try it but to make sure it wasn't extracted with ethanol. I found one that is human grade (made here in Colorado) that is extracted with C02.

I have personally recommended Anderson's CBD, another local company to friends (humans), and it has worked well for anxiety and migraines, but it is extracted with low-grade ethanol. When I spoke to Anderson's about trying it on Toby they told me of the recent report of interaction with the meds (Zonisimide) he is currently on. Interestingly, the neurologist's vet tech said she didn't know anything about it. So clearly they are not studying CBD. As she said, they leave it up to their clients to give them feedback on what they're doing and if it works. (In some way, I feel like they should give us a break on the vet bills for doing the research.)

We are seeing a new neurologist on Sunday, so perhaps they'll be able to prescribe a different anti-seizure med that doesn't interact with CBD. I am so fearful of the side effects of all these drugs, and most of the side effects indicated are about humans and not animals. Jeffscott947, I'm sorry you fell victim to Celebrex, and I hope you don't have any long-term issues!

What were you all using the CBD on your dogs for? Was it seizure, kidney, stress...? Thanks again for all the insight!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks all! I did take urine samples in and that's when I was told they were low concentrate. So based on those results combined with the creatinine tests she thinks it's kidney disease.

Regarding the CBD and his mini-seizures, one neurologist said they didn't know enough about it to prescribe it but that some of their clients were using it successfully, some not. The vet tech told me I could try it but to make sure it wasn't extracted with ethanol. I found one that is human grade (made here in Colorado) that is extracted with C02.

I have personally recommended Anderson's CBD, another local company to friends (humans), and it has worked well for anxiety and migraines, but it is extracted with low-grade ethanol. When I spoke to Anderson's about trying it on Toby they told me of the recent report of interaction with the meds (Zonisimide) he is currently on. Interestingly, the neurologist's vet tech said she didn't know anything about it. So clearly they are not studying CBD. As she said, they leave it up to their clients to give them feedback on what they're doing and if it works. (In some way, I feel like they should give us a break on the vet bills for doing the research.)

We are seeing a new neurologist on Sunday, so perhaps they'll be able to prescribe a different anti-seizure med that doesn't interact with CBD. I am so fearful of the side effects of all these drugs, and most of the side effects indicated are about humans and not animals. Jeffscott947, I'm sorry you fell victim to Celebrex, and I hope you don't have any long-term issues!

What were you all using the CBD on your dogs for? Was it seizure, kidney, stress...? Thanks again for all the insight!

·
Registered
632 Posts

Thank you..NO long or short term issues here TG.

My 14.5 yr old was simply very old. She was having joint problems, had become totally lethargic, had lost interest in food, but still was eating, and was just not enjoying her life.
Her bad days had begun to increase in frequency and I thought it time for my friend of all those years (rescued her at 5) to cross over.

Then I remembered thru the fog of despair..After all, some RELATED products were working great for me (..No more pain and I could sleep again.......I am old too..LOL), where 10 yrs of conventional medicine had failed. There was little to lose and perhaps much to gain. Within 2 weeks she had become a different dog, demanding her food again and joining with my others in play!

This was not coincidence imo, and not a miracle; just that dog's happy experience with CBD!
I won't do my own extractions (legal in Nevada), with anything but heat and pressure (Rosin pressing). The products that I used for her were from a dispensary, and I have no idea what extraction ,methods that they use, however they have to still meet State requirements for legal sales in Nevada.
Unfortunately I don't have what is needed to insure that there is little or no THC, so I bought from the dispensary.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I would first of all make sure that it is kidneys therefore a SDMA test.We are also not sure that the symptoms are really due to kidneys. Again of course you will see on Monday the neurologist which will also mention you that it may be due to sth in the brain (don t like to put it into words) but you believe that her general condition will not allow to do scanning.CBD or not , once you see also the neurologist and a holistic vet ,I highly recommend Belladonna which has no side effects including the liver.Depending on Monday's results I ll make you get into touch with someone who will share with you his experiences.He lives in US and has multiple golden retrievers .I hope you will not need it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For what it is worth I use CBD for Gatsby seizures. He doesn't take any other medication for seizures. Maybe it is CBD that really works well for him, maybe it is a coincidence, maybe some external factors were removed but he didn't have any seizure since late October. The CBD Gatsby uses is prescribed for me by my doctor (I am sharing it with my dog) and it comes from a legal, government approved dispensary which does a lot of quality testing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
1 - 20 of 35 Posts