Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need help, have had two golden retrievers die from seizures in last nine months. First was 8 year old and started having seizure one month apart in summer of 2010. Feb 2011 she died during a seizure. We got a pup in April of 2011. She had a seizured in Oct and last Wed we returned home from work to find her dead in her pen. Your could tell she had had a seizure before she died. She was very healthy and that morning we did not notice anything wrong. I did not talk to the vet till the next day and it was to late to have and autopsy. Does any one have any idea why we would have two dogs die within nine months.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
Did you have a necropsy done on either of the dogs?

To me it sounds like they may have gotten into something. Can you have somebody come and check out the areas where the dogs spent the most time to check for toxins? Did they eat the same food, water... what about the toys? How about outside - could they have eaten something like mushrooms? Could they have gotten into something outside, on walks, something in the house?

·
Super Moderator
4,243 Posts
Did you have a necropsy done on either of the dogs?

To me it sounds like they may have gotten into something. Can you have somebody come and check out the areas where the dogs spent the most time to check for toxins? Did they eat the same food, water... what about the toys? How about outside - could they have eaten something like mushrooms? Could they have gotten into something outside, on walks, something in the house?
I think you are on to something.

What do you clean your floors with? What chemicals could they have been exposed to over a long period of time? I had read that wet Swiffers are toxic to dogs (read the fine print), not saying that they cause seizures, but you may have something in the house that you are assuming is safe.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
OMG..I am so sorry for the loss of both of your furbabies! I have to agree with others about possibility of something they got into. Along with Swiffers some air fresheners have toxins that affect animals. Were you feeding the same food? or check where it was stored. They also say if you put poisons out for mice they could then infect your animals food or water. I hope you are able to find some answers. Again, I am so sorry for your losses...my heart breaks for you!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
I am so very sorry. How horrendous! I agree it sounds too coincidental to not be a poison of some kind. My heart breaks for you!

·
Registered
84 Posts
My previous golden started having seizures at age eight. While paying bills I noticed that the seizures were happening within 24 hours of the pest control guy performing a service on my house. Needless to say, I stopped the pest control service immediately. My dog never had another seizure but he died just before his ninth birthday of Lymphoma.

·
Registered
320 Posts
I am so very sorry for your huge loss!!!
do you live close to plants or factories ? how about a body of water you visit to play in? or maybe a plant of some kind that is poisonous?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My heart just aches for you and your fur people. I'm so sorry.

It took me a while before I realized that my Charlie had seizures within a few hours after each application of Frontline Plus. This is a documented side effect for some dogs and EPA studies are being done on the subject. Goldens seem to be among the breeds most affected, if I remember correctly.

I so hope that you are able to figure out what caused your sweet dogs to have seizures and that it is something you can correct.

Holding you gently in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had a golden retriever that had seizures since he was 5 years old he lived till he was 1 month away from being 9 that said that is was inherited. I think your dogs must have gotten into something check everthing like plants, cleaning products, or medication they wouod have gotten into. I know sweetie how hard it is to watch your dogs having seizures and to loose your dogs to i feel your loss.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
OK one dog started seizing
summer 2010 died February 2011 about 6 or 7 mos later
the other dog
8 mos after teh first dog
October 2011 started seizing and died December 2011, 2 mos. later

were either of these dogs being treated for seizures? meds or any kind or were they untreated?

Honestly the first dog sounds like a brain tumour or cancer of some kind considering the age...

Second dog, could have gotten into something but honestly in both cases there is a time lapse between first seizure and when the dog passed... that doesn't sound like a getting into something thing unless they got into it repeatedly over time.... I would think that if the pup got into something you would see the seizure and then a decline right away... not 2 mos later

however the reality is that it is all speculation unless a necropsy was done so the likelihood is that you won't really know what happened nor do we ....

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
however the reality is that it is all speculation unless a necropsy was done so the likelihood is that you won't really know what happened nor do we ....
Very true.

But I think the very important point that this family have somebody come and look around their home and property and identify any possible toxins which both dogs may have gotten into. And they have to do this before they bring another puppy home. The puppy obviously got into something it shouldn't. And the odds are the older dog got into the same thing.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
I have read somewhere that the chicken jerky from China that was recalled is believed to be the source of seizures and worse in some dogs. Don't know if it pertains here but who knows.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
Very true.

The puppy obviously got into something it shouldn't. And the odds are the older dog got into the same thing.

I don't see how you can make this assumption especially with the time frame difference... honestly this could be a very tragic coincidence... that is not to say that they shouldn't check for things the dogs could have gotten into... but getting into something usually has a more immediate response... not months later... the 8 year old was at prime age for cancer and tumour... the puppy, we just don't know... could have had a shunt which can cause seizures... could have had other medical issues that caused the seizures... but honestly given the time lapse between start of seizure activity, the ages of the dogs especially the first dog..

I honestly don't think that there are any indications at all about what went on and what caused the death of the pups...

should people check for toxins sure... but in this case nobody knows what happened.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
G

Gsanberg

How very, very, tragic and I am so sorry for you and your Furbabies.
I do agree with everyone else that it is possible that it is something in your house, in your yard, that they may have gotten into that slowly poisoned them.

·
Kate
21,665 Posts
I don't see how you can make this assumption especially with the time frame difference... honestly this could be a very tragic coincidence... that is not to say that they shouldn't check for things the dogs could have gotten into... but getting into something usually has a more immediate response... not months later... the 8 year old was at prime age for cancer and tumour... the puppy, we just don't know... could have had a shunt which can cause seizures... could have had other medical issues that caused the seizures... but honestly given the time lapse between start of seizure activity, the ages of the dogs especially the first dog..
I'm not assuming anything. o_O

I'm simply saying that when something like this happens, and there is no known cause, and there was not a necropsy done to rule out unrelated illness (cancer, tbd's, etc), or if the necropsy is inconclusive... you just want to make sure before bringing a new puppy home. It's a common sense thing.

I wouldn't exactly go flying off the handle and switch the dogs to raw food and swear off vaccinations as other people might do when things like this happen. But I definitely would have the water checked out, have the home checked out, have the yard checked out. Common sense, peace of mind.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I am so sorry for your losses.

I had a dog that used to have seizures. We did not treat her because the vet said they were not often enough - we did some extensive testing and could not find a cause. The last three years of her life she did not have any - in hindsight, I wish I had kept a journal to see if it was environmental. I know the first seizure she had, I did use some fly deterrent on her ears that was supposed to be safe for horses and dogs - never used it again.

Because she did not have a seizure the last three years, I often wondered if I changed something - room deodorizers, lawn fertilizers, cleaners in that time. My other two dogs I had at the time, did not have seizures.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts