Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone - I have been reading other posts and some of the info is similar to what our 4 1/2 year old Ember is going through.

She started having seizures out of the blue one day when we were out for a walk, I thought maybe she was just too hot or something but then she had another one that night. She came out of them pretty quickly and back to normal.

Over the next 3 weeks, she had 4 more and then the last one was the biggest and most violent. She didn't even get up afterward, just laid there sleeping and unresponsive for hours. When she did get up, her vision was obviously impaired, she wandered around in circles banging into everything and seemed completely oblivious to where she was.

We took her into the emergency clinic the morning after this seizure (it was a Sunday) and we had to carry her because she couldn't walk. They gave her phenobarb and valium and we moved her to the regular vet the following morning. Anyway, she has had the blood work, thyroid levels checked (she has been on thyroid meds since puppyhood) and they can't find a source for the seizures.

The difference is - that last seizure was 10 days ago and she is still blind in her left eye, she is still VERY lethargic, shows no interest in anything much, doesn't want to go for a walk, doesn't get excited when we come home anymore - it is like she has lost her personality. She is still clumsy although better but I suspect its because she is getting used to only seeing with one eye. She is being put on Primidone tomorrow.

Has anyone else has had these symptoms (blindness/extreme lethargy)linger? The vet said it could take a few weeks for things to come back, or maybe they will never resolve. He also said to switch her to a soft food diet (which she loves) because it is less stress on the body to digest soft food.

Any help would be appreciated :)

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Welcome to the Forum and to our seizure community, which is growing despite the fact that nobody wants to be here. I'm so sorry that you and Ember are going through this.

Four years old is around the time that idiopathic epilepsy, which means seizures of no known origin, emerges. The usual treatment involves one or more medications, typically starting with Phenobarbital because it is relatively inexpensive and fast acting. None of us like the side effects.

If you have not seen a veterinary neurologist, I encourage you do make that appointment right away. They are the experts in conditions of the brain and nervous system and can save you and Ember weeks of uncertainty and perhaps a lot of money.

Temporary blindness is not unusual after a seizure, but it is something to discuss with your veterinarian. As for the lethargy, keep in mind that a grand map seizure is akin to running a marathon, in that it burns a huge amount of energy. After a seizure, it is good to offer a couple of tablespoons of Hagen Daz vanilla ice cream (this brand because it is free of unhealthy additives) and then a full meal when Ember is able to take it. Getting her blood sugar back to normal is the goal, since low blood sugar can trigger seizures.

As my sweet Joker just had his first seizure last night, I am reminded that most vets consider seizures to be "under control" if a dog has only one per month. Having multiples in that time period definitely demands action from the vets to get them under control.

Ask all the questions you like. Many of us have been where you are now and we are happy to "pay forward" the support that we received when we first set foot on this path.

Please keep us posted and know that we will be here for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply.

Sadly Ember passed away last night about 3 hours after her first dose of Primidone. We are devastated of course but we know that obviously we werent just dealing with a seizure disorder and we are thankful she was taken naturally. We have had to make the agonizing decision in the past of whether to put down another dog and it was truly awful.

RIP Ember ??

1 - 5 of 5 Posts