Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

841 - 860 of 868 Posts

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
:bigangel::bigangel: I have this picture of Charlie, with his big ol' angel wings around Morgan telling her about his wonderful life and how both their Mommies love and miss them so very much. Thank you Charlie !!:kiss:

·
every moment is a gift
3,127 Posts
Your caring journey with Charlie was one of the stories I read after finding this forum. I didn't join until after his passing, but knew through his story and others that I'd found the loving, supportive and compassionate community was looking for. The photo of Charlie, Joker and Sunny sunning themselves on your porch is still one of my favorite pictures.

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
I found this thread while doing a search on seizures on the forum. While Hawk is good at the moment I fear we are not over the seizures and more will need to be done for him so I am researching...researching what others have done...ideas we may not have thought or heard of etc...I found, that your and Charlie's story has also given me encouragement, peace and hope. I know we are not the only ones going through this but caring for a seizure dog can be a lonely and isolating thing. Hawk may be a foster boy but he has captured our hearts and brought us joy through the heartaches of caring for him. He is in no way ready to go yet and in many ways miles better than when he first came to live with us...but his bad days tear at my heart.
I'm inspired by the love and devotion you showed to Charlie and touched deeply!
Sent from Petguide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #844
I found this thread while doing a search on seizures on the forum. While Hawk is good at the moment I fear we are not over the seizures and more will need to be done for him so I am researching...researching what others have done...ideas we may not have thought or heard of etc...I found, that your and Charlie's story has also given me encouragement, peace and hope. I know we are not the only ones going through this but caring for a seizure dog can be a lonely and isolating thing. Hawk may be a foster boy but he has captured our hearts and brought us joy through the heartaches of caring for him. He is in no way ready to go yet and in many ways miles better than when he first came to live with us...but his bad days tear at my heart.
I'm inspired by the love and devotion you showed to Charlie and touched deeply!
Let me promise you that you will never be alone in this passage with Hawk. Never.

The community here...many people around the world...sustained me through our fight for and with my Charlie. Giving back that support in some measure is a tribute that I pay to my beloved King of Cuddles, as well as to everyone here who helped us along the way.

I will be here for you and Hawk, as others were for me and Charlie. Promise. And time has shown me that others will be here with you, too.

Hugs and prayers,
Lucy

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
GoldensGirl

GoldensGirl

It is so beautiful what you wrote to Mayve, that you'll be here for her and Hawk, just like the forum was for you and Charlie!
That is what it's all about-paying it forward.
This forum is a beautiful place!

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
We are here too and will always be, I too share this journey. Casey's started at 12 as well. Charlie and Lucy helped me through the hardest time of my life, if I can be even a little bit of that for you, maybe your journey will be a little bit lighter to carry.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Your story is ours! Shelby was 11 when she began to have seizures. Vet said we could have the tests to find out exactly what was causing it; however, when we do find out, would surgery be an option at this age? No. So, we chose to treat the symptoms. She is on potassium bromide and has been seizure free for over a year. Side Effects: panting, very weak in hind end, accidents every once in awhile, lethargic at times. With that, she is still playful and always wagging her tail. She had no problem eating until this past month...I have to tell her, "go eat" and lead her in there and sometimes add a little chicken broth. :) I, like you, have researched like crazy! My vet examines her once a year and checks her levels. He reassures me, she is doing great "at this age". He adds, there is no doubt in his mind that the problem lies between the ears. I took that as a possible tumor... Our girl is happy and I know she will let us know when she is not. I wish you comfort - I know how difficult it is. Find comfort in knowing that during twashe seizures, the only one hurting is you...they do not feel pain and maybe think, "I know something just happened, but not sure what." That is when your role comes in, you comfort them, just as you did.

*******I am so sorry, I did not realize this was an older post - thank you for sharing your journey. You gave Charlie a happy life!********

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #849
Dalora, I hope you will start a thread about your Shelby. I'm glad she is doing well now. That would be such good news to members who are struggling to get the meds right and would give anything to go even a month without a seizure.

Besides my heart, this thread is where my Charlie lives on. I am glad that his story rings true for you and hope it helps you deal with what lies ahead.

Charlie was my King of Cuddles, an absolute attention hog who made friends with every person he met. He would have been delighted by all the affection and support his story triggered here. For me this thread represents the GRF at its best, full of members' mutual support and sharing of knowledge. We made a lot of friends here and I wager the same would be true for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It is all happening so fast :(

My pup's name is Rusty. He is 14. Two night ago, Rusty had a cluster series of grand mal seizures. We were hanging out by the campfire when I noticed out of the corner of my eye that he was convulsing. It was very scary... all I could do was console him like you described in your initial post with Charlie. Within 24 hours, my Rusty suffered thru 5 seizures... his postictal state worsening after each seizure. Rusty was at the doggy ER yesterday, where he suffered his 5th seizure (they administered valium). When I brought him in, he was very docile. The VET loaded Rusty up on phenobarbital and Diazepam. When I brought Rusty home last night, he was completely out of it. He did not move an inch all night. It seems the only thing he has use of is his licker! I have to hold him up and support him in my arms and place his nose in his water bowl for him to drink. It is almost noon today. He still has no function in his legs. Over the course of the morning, he has gained a little strength in his head and neck. I am scared that his life is on the limb. I feel like this happened so fast. Overnight. The VET says the seizures are most likely a neurological side effect. They believe he has a brain tumor.

My boy is so sweet. He has the biggest heart. He has an adventurous spirit. He is an outside dog because he would rather swim in the pool and roll in the grass. He refuses to stay inside or even sleep in a cozy bed.

I have Rusty cuddled up with me in the living room, watching cartoons with me. I've just been cuddling him and trying to help him eat and drink.

I think these are some of my last memories with my little buddy and longest friend.

I found peace through your story with Charlie.
Thank you

-Hayden

Attachments

·
Love walks on four paws
2,946 Posts
Awe...he is so cute. I am so sorry to read your situation with Rusty....it is devastating and I think especially so when they cluster seemingly out of the blue. When we brought Hawk to live with us we knew he had seizures but that first weekend of four knocked us on our heels. Im sending you hugs and prayers with lots of belly rubs and scritches for Rusty.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #852
My pup's name is Rusty. He is 14. Two night ago, Rusty had a cluster series of grand mal seizures.... I am scared that his life is on the limb. I feel like this happened so fast. Overnight. The VET says the seizures are most likely a neurological side effect. They believe he has a brain tumor.

My boy is so sweet. He has the biggest heart. He has an adventurous spirit. He is an outside dog because he would rather swim in the pool and roll in the grass. He refuses to stay inside or even sleep in a cozy bed.

I have Rusty cuddled up with me in the living room, watching cartoons with me. I've just been cuddling him and trying to help him eat and drink.

I think these are some of my last memories with my little buddy and longest friend.

I found peace through your story with Charlie.
Thank you

-Hayden
Welcome to the Forum, especially in the sad circumstances that bring you to us. I'm glad that this thread has been helpful to you. My Charlie would be pleased.

I hope you'll start a new thread of your own in the seizure forum and share more stories about and photos of your Rusty. The cluster of seizures and diagnosis of a probable brain tumor does not mean the end is nigh, though it might be. You may have several weeks or even months with him. For example, Charlie's first extended cluster was in May and we finally lost him in July, after more than a year of battling his seizures.

Take a million photos, clip some locks of his fur to cherish, do the things he loves most and make as memories as you can. Mostly, remember that he doesn't know he may leave you soon and your job is to keep it that way. Let him enjoy every day that he has and you try to enjoy them with him, too.

Know that we are here for you.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #853
Sweet Charlie, Tailer is on his way to join you at the Bridge tonight. Welcome him, sweetheart, and help him find his way. He has long been a celebrity in the GRF seizure community and a ruptured spleen has claimed him, along with the cancer that caused it. You understand.

This brings back the day I lost you...as if it were happening all over again.

Loving you always, my King of Cuddles.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #854
Oh sweet Charlie. You are always in my heart and often in my thoughts, but especially so this weekend as we prepare for Joker to have surgery again on Tuesday. Your brother has a large stone in his bladder and an odd mass in his abdomen where his spleen used to be. These need to come out, but major abdominal surgery for a Golden at 13.5 years old is not a happy thought. He has already won the hearts of his surgeon and the staff, as you did, but the days there will be hard on my most anxious boy. Watch over him, sweetheart, and help him to be calm in the hospital. We are not ready for him to join you and Sabrina at the Bridge, so please don't rush him to head your way.

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
Prayers heading to Joker...may the surgery go well for you...I'll ask Tailer to send you good vibes too.

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
3,501 Posts
I hadn't seen what your wrote for Tailer...Thanks...tears again...

·
I miss my Buddy
11,531 Posts
Praying for sweet Joker and remembering dear Charlie with you. Hugs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
my tj (10 years old) had a seizure earlier today. we took him to the vet and they told us that he may have a brain tumor. with this sad news we aren't sure how much time he has left. should we be expecting another seizure to come on? he is also having a hard time getting up and his eyes are very droopy. these symptoms started very recently and we are not sure what to expect.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #859
my tj (10 years old) had a seizure earlier today. we took him to the vet and they told us that he may have a brain tumor. with this sad news we aren't sure how much time he has left. should we be expecting another seizure to come on? he is also having a hard time getting up and his eyes are very droopy. these symptoms started very recently and we are not sure what to expect.
Welcome to the Forum. I'm so very sorry that you and your tj hare dealing with seizures and a possible brain tumor. From what I have read, it is sadly true that most older Goldens who begin having seizures have some kind of brain lesions or tumors, malignant or not.

All that I can tell you is from my experience with my Charlie, who lived about 13 months after the first of his grand mal seizures that we observed. Charlie had a pretty good life for most of those months and we shared them with joy.

If you want a firmer prognosis, you probably need to consult a veterinary neurologist and pay for diagnostic tests, perhaps including the MRI. But a good neurologist can tell a lot just from a thorough physical exam.

I encourage you to start a new thread about tj and share photos of and stories about him. You will find our GRF seizure community a very supportive place, where someone is likely to have encountered almost anything you want to know about.

Hugs and prayers for you and tj,

Lucy

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #860 (Edited)
Memories. So many memories. Three years ago, Charlie was in the hospital for the last time, as they fought to get control of a horrible cluster of grand mal seizures. We set him free on July 2nd, as he asked me to do. I miss him sorely, but I love him too much to wish him back with us in the state he was in at the end.

The house feels empty today, with Joker and Sunny at the groomers. My BF is seizing the opportunity their absence presents to install some new gates on the longer flight of stairs on and off the back deck. Joker is a proud, determined senior and insists on using those stairs, but they are not as safe for him as the shorter flight on the other side of the deck. We will take away this risk and not leave the choice to him.

Watch over your brother, Charlie. And know that we miss you every single day.

841 - 860 of 868 Posts