Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

821 - 840 of 868 Posts

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Me as well, I come back here from time to time. I know Casey found Charlie, she wasn't much of a squirrel chaser but I know she knows where the bread and cheese are kept. It feels like it has been a life time already.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
Oh my gosh Tia loved rabbits too and cheese and bread. Ducks were also a favourite of hers so she would sniff those out for everyone. I can imagine all of those beautiful tails waving in the wind and also those button noses and beautiful ears as they took a pleasant snooze after all of that running.

I always wanted Tia to be able to play with friendly dogs, a aggressive dog attack a year or two ago means that I was unable to trust strange dogs around here. Now I know that she can freely and happily with all of her friends just like I always wanted her to. :D

Oh my here come the tears again:) (happy tears)

I wish that I had included a few more details about Tia's personality in my thread. You are such a great teacher Lucy!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #823
It sounds to me like Tia needs a thread of her own in the Rainbow Bridge forum, where all those memories can be recorded and shared. There are many of us who would love to know her better. That might go for May and Alice, too? I'm a big believer in the kind of immortality we can give them with our words and photos. And maybe it helps us to heal, too!

Love you dearly, friends. Thanks for being here with me in Charlie's special place.

Lucy

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #824
Thanks guys - I do too much weeping on here, but this has raised some happy smiles. My girls would be right there - with May keeping her nose alert for any stray rabbit smells as well!
We have rabbits here, too! Sabrina went after them for all her dysplasia and arthritis would allow and then some. I'm not sure Charlie was aware of them, but deer caught his eyes, even with vision blurred.

There is no heaven without dogs and I know for sure that there is life beyond this one. Therefore, heaven (at least for me! :D) is full of Goldens and everything they love. My fur-kids are playing with your fur-kids for the rest of eternity. If we're all good, we get to meet each other someday, as well as being with them again. Works for me, in the spirit of happily ever after. Talk about incentives to be good!!!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Lucy, that will be such a wonderful day.

Reactions: GoldensGirl

·
Registered
193 Posts
There is no heaven without dogs and I know for sure that there is life beyond this one. Therefore, heaven (at least for me! :D) is full of Goldens and everything they love. My fur-kids are playing with your fur-kids for the rest of eternity. If we're all good, we get to meet each other someday, as well as being with them again. Works for me, in the spirit of happily ever after. Talk about incentives to be good!!!
I could not agree with this theory more!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #827
Strange the things that can still bring tears almost two years after Charlie claimed his wings. We installed a new microwave oven and I went through the stack of papers that had accumulated atop the old one. Charlie's last veterinary bills were there, along with the guidance from his last hospitalization. It was so hard to read the statements that the "owner knows about probable brain tumor" and the dread words for the last house visit and ...

If I have regrets, it is that we asked so much of my beloved boy. But I remember so clearly when he told me that the time had come and I will never forget his last back-dance...that he never lifted his head when our vet came to set him free, but gazed into my eyes with so much love...

For everyone who mourns a dog you fought for and lost, there is no shame in remembering. Love is forever and so is Charlie's place in my heart.

I love you still, my King of Cuddles. Give Sabrina a nuzzle for me, please.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
It still seems like yesterday doesn't it? Things like that bring it all back.
Such is the love of such a special pup and guardian.

I bet they both send warm fuzzies right back at ya!

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #831
Two years ago today Charlie was at the Emergency Veterinary Clinic, there for what turned out to be his last visit as they fought to break a horrid cluster of grand mal seizures. Then as now, I marvel at the support this loving community offers to those who are fighting for a beloved dog.

Anniversaries of this kind are hard and tears are streaming, of course. Everyone here understands and so many of you were with me through those last days before the King of Cuddles claimed his wings.

I came to the GRF seeking to learn more about Golden breeders and puppies and I stayed because of the support that I found in our battle against Charlie's seizures. In a very real way, everything that I do here is in memory of my boy. I will hold that in my thoughts these next few days.

Sweetest boy, there will never be eyes more beautiful than yours nor a plushy head so soft under my hand. Those are treasured memories from your last morning with me. I so hope you're chasing tennis balls with abandon, swimming in a lake to your heart's content, and running with Sabrina with the ease of your youth. You are always in my heart, but especially so this week.

Have a good back-dance for your mom, Charlie.

·
Registered
4,069 Posts
I share my tears with you GG.

Our loved ones are indeed carved into our souls.
While it has been two years I bet it feels as though the pain is just as vivid as if it was just yesterday. They went through so much intensity to be with us as we did for them. It is an extremely emotional experience that results in an even deeper bond that we did not think was possible.

Charlie is a very special soul who is no doubt wishing you comfort and peace during this difficult time. I am sure that he is very proud of you and all the work you have put into the forum especially when it must trigger so many difficult memories for you.

My heart goes out to you and your wonderful furmily... both here and beyond. :')

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm here for you too Lucy. In some ways it seems like it was such a long time ago since they were with us. Reading about Charlie made me feel like I had him too, he was and is very special. As are you. Hugs to you my friend, Cindy

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #835
I'm here for you too Lucy. In some ways it seems like it was such a long time ago since they were with us. Reading about Charlie made me feel like I had him too, he was and is very special. As are you. Hugs to you my friend, Cindy
Thank you, Cindy. I type through tears, of course. Everyone who followed Charlie's story would see that coming.

Two years ago today, I made that call that every single one of us dreads the most, arranging for our family vet to come to the house the next morning and set my beloved boy free. All of us know it was the most loving thing I could do for him and everyone here knows how much it hurts. But Charlie told me plainly that it was time.

That afternoon and evening, we had a special "party" for Charlie. After an afternoon feast of pork shoulder bones on the back deck with Joker and Sunny, he had steak and ice cream for dinner. Anything Charlie wanted, Charlie got...cookies, cuddles, toys, sleeping beside his Mom, guided tours of the front yard... We took photos and made memories, though never enough.

Never enough.

Tears for Charlie....

·
Registered
879 Posts
So much love to you while these wounds are reopened. You and Charlie's legacy have been a wealth of information and support to our family and Iorek. We would have been so lost earlier this year, and your experiences with Charlie are what provided the guiding light. Endless gratitude to you both for what Charlie's journey has contributed to the lives of others.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #838
Thank you, friends.

Today has been...is...very hard.

Charlie made his wishes clear two years ago today, as he did pretty much every day of his life. He chose his spot on the floor beside me and stayed there, not even lifting his head to greet our vet, who cared for him for years. Those big brown eyes gazed into mine and he nuzzled me goodbye, and then simply slept. He knew that I understood and would ask no more of him. He had given me every single thing he had to give.

This thread has given my boy a kind of immortality...a place where I can visit and find him now and then, celebrating his good days and his happy back dances. And remembering how hard the journey is for others on this path.

Thank you for the kind words about the value you find here. Charlie would be pleased and proud, as I am.

Thank you most of all for being with us once again, with loving memories of my King of Cuddles.

Tears for Charlie...

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just want you to know I'm thinking of you Lucy.

Also, as others have said, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for all you do here. There must be countless owners who you have reassured, encouraged and supported while they cope with the difficulties and pain of loving a dog with seizures.

Love and hugs,

Lyn

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #840 (Edited)
Just want you to know I'm thinking of you Lucy.

Also, as others have said, thank you from the bottom of my heart, for all you do here. There must be countless owners who you have reassured, encouraged and supported while they cope with the difficulties and pain of loving a dog with seizures.

Love and hugs,

Lyn
Thanks for being with us this week, Lyn.

There was a time when I was always the first person to respond to a newcomer to the seizure group. In fact, the seizures sub-forum and Seizures 101 thread were created as a result of having 4 new members join the GRF in a single week looking for information about canine seizures. I realized that I was typing the same information repeatedly and had to create a better way.

I have very mixed feelings about the fact that now a newcomer is likely to hear from another member before I get to them. Don't get me wrong - I'm proud of our little community and the supportive spirit of the people, especially those who continue to share information after their beloved seizure dogs have gone to the Bridge. I know how hard that is. But reaching the point where someone else responds before me also means there are more of us now and it is more likely that someone besides me will be online. None of us wish for this group to grow because of more dogs having seizures, much as we are glad to find one another when the curse of seizures strikes. I hope I've managed to say what I mean here.

I am so glad to see members of this group respond to one another. Nobody should ever be left alone to cope with the challenges of a seizure dog and I am so pleased that others share my commitment to providing that support. We have become family of a special kind.

Thanks again for being with us and remembering my Charlie with love.

Lucy

821 - 840 of 868 Posts