Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My last post many a month ago I was hopeful (as I am again now) that Boomer's seizures might be gone. NOT SO.
Here's the latest and I post this for encouragement to others. Boomer, a male, neutered GR. 30 months old has suffered grand mals since about 18 months old. I have tried every combo of KBr, phenobarbital, CBD, changing diet, all to no avail.

One month ago today he visitied his vet and received an updated, bordatella and distemper vaccine(s). A few hours after the vaccinations he was having seizures about every hour, but of short enough duration so that I didn't use the emergency anal insertion/valium syringe, which I keep for an especially long seizure. To date none exceeded much more than 7-10 minutes. Howerver, it became apparent after the vaccines that he was having an allergic reaction, and I eventually his seizures ceased after an oral dose of valium; these were all grand mals.

He came out of the seizures and I was afraid he had brain damage, not due to longevity of seizures but frequency (I wasn't aware that frequency was so important, my error) . He would walk into walls, stumble (could no longer negotiate tile and woooden floors without slipping and sliding. I was crestfallen and full of guilt and sorrow that I didn't administer the valium insertion and that his current state was totally my fault. It appeared as if recovery was out of the question. Suffice it to say my emotional state was terrible.

But, eventually he started coming back, and there's a happy ending with perhaps an even happier ending re: seizures. He was put on keppra, time release, 750 mg every 12 hours. He has been seizure free for one-full month, the longest ever, and am hoping not an anomaly but that the keppra works for him.

I offer encouragement to pursue a medication regimen. He is totally off of PB, CBD, KBr and only on keppra. After almost losing him I will never forget how much he's loved and what an integral part of my life he is. Unfortunately, I will not pursue his bordatella nor distemper shots and minimally keep his required vaccine/rabies, here in FL. He is totally recovered from effects of meds and is as happy, full-of-puppylike behavior, as he ever was. A joy!

Attachments

·
Registered
745 Posts
We are going through the same dilemma with a rescued dog since 2,5 years.Of course, he became a household but lives separately as a single dog. Our additional problem is that besides seizures he has 100 pellets in his body and also heart problem. He cannot fly anywhere. So, the only solution is to bring him from Istanbul UK next fall via sea to Italy and than car. And hopefully get a train to London. King's College is highly advanced . We'll try as always.
Please no dhlpp & bronchine vaccinations. I would of course omit the rabbis but there is no way since it is required by law & also to change country:((
I'm very happy that Keppra worked on him . I wish him a peaceful life. Big big hugs to the handsome Boomer

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,902 Posts
Wonderful to hear how well Boomer's doing and that he's been seizure free for a month.
I hope he continues to do well, he looks great.

·
Registered
4,501 Posts
That's great. I hope he continues to be seizure free and happy!

·
Premium Member
18,300 Posts
I think you have a solid argument for no vaccines at all, not even rabies. Have him titre tested, and have a letter from the vet stating no vaccines due to risk of death. Vaccine studies show they are effective for up to 7 years or longer, so unless titre levels are too low I would really encourage you to never give him another vaccine.

It is so good to hear the keppra has helped.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts