81 - 92 of 92 Posts

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
Just seeing this now. I am so, so very sorry. :(

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I am so sorry about your sweet girl. You and she fought a good fight but it was her time. You did the best thing for her. Never doubt yourself in the decision. The seizures are so hard on them and it is hard to go thru them with our pups. I know your pain and my heart goes out to you. My Beau is there at the bridge with her along with the other pups playing with her all healthy again until you can be together.

·
Registered
94 Posts
So sorry

Just seeing this today. So sorry for your lost fight. It's so hard.

Golden hugs. :--heart:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
Thanks everyone for your kindness and support. It has been a rough few weeks since losing Bailey. I find myself constantly looking for her out of habit- the house has a definite emptiness to it. She was so much more than just a dog, or just a pet, to us, as I'm sure most of you can understand. It seems that this pain will never go away. My 5 year old is having a hard time with it, and keeps asking when Bailey can come home. It's all just do hard. I miss her a lot, and worry constantly that we should have tried harder, switched to different meds, something. Then I think about how she couldn't even lift her head to eat a treat, and know how miserable she must have been. It's just so hard losing a beloved part of the family. I'm curious- what is the "bridge" posters have referred to?

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
It is called the rainbow bridge.
You might read this to your daughter so she will feel some comfort. Draw some pictures together to help her. This site has some information that might help her also
Grief & the Loss of a Pet

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Thanks, Carol. That is beautiful. I hope we do get another chance to hug her someday.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi - I'm new to the Golden Retriever Forum - so I hope my story lands on the right thread. Our handsome boy, Bear was diagnosed with a brain tumor in August of 2015. He had his first seizure - it was very scary, during a daily walk. We had an MRI done so we would know and there was a mass. The neurologist had given us options - all of which sounded horrible. We chose to let Bear live his life in our care and treat the seizures with medication (palliative care). Not an easy decision - we even discussed a possible clinical trial but what we soon learned is that there really is nothing hopeful about a brain tumor. The seizures would always continue and where this particular mass was located, surgery would be difficult. Instead of putting him through that we have been spoiling him daily!!! He has gone on to have seizures every two months - usually clusters. Today, he had one. It's so uncertain how much time he has and how this is all going to go. If anyone has experience with a Golden Retriever brain tumor, please share your story. I would welcome the support. My boys is only 8 1/2 years old. Not fair. :0(

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,901 Posts
Hi - I'm new to the Golden Retriever Forum - so I hope my story lands on the right thread. Our handsome boy, Bear was diagnosed with a brain tumor in August of 2015. He had his first seizure - it was very scary, during a daily walk. We had an MRI done so we would know and there was a mass. The neurologist had given us options - all of which sounded horrible. We chose to let Bear live his life in our care and treat the seizures with medication (palliative care). Not an easy decision - we even discussed a possible clinical trial but what we soon learned is that there really is nothing hopeful about a brain tumor. The seizures would always continue and where this particular mass was located, surgery would be difficult. Instead of putting him through that we have been spoiling him daily!!! He has gone on to have seizures every two months - usually clusters. Today, he had one. It's so uncertain how much time he has and how this is all going to go. If anyone has experience with a Golden Retriever brain tumor, please share your story. I would welcome the support. My boys is only 8 1/2 years old. Not fair. :0(
Welcome to the forum. I'm so sorry about your boy's diagnosis.

I did a search and found this thread you may want to read through.

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com/golden-retrievers-seizures/372786-possible-brain-tumor.html

ETA: I don't know if you've seen this thread, it has a lot of info about seizures-

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...es/108429-seizures-101-basic-information.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Charlie barker we believe has epilepsy. I eventually got the mri, ruled out a brain tumor and got amazing peace of mind....for around $3.5k. my advice is this. would I do it if I absolutely couldn't afford it......most likely not....cuz, in my case, the seizures are minor, not grand Mal, and not long in nature. As long as they are under 4 minutes, im fairly calm, Charlie snaps out. Length of seizures, especially grand Mal is ridiculously important, and double that if you are dealing with cluster seizures. they heat the brain up very quickly, and if prolonged, can severely damage the brain. 5 min is a serious warning point. there are also collars that have all sorts of sensors that connect thru apps on your phone, and will trigger alarms if body temp or brain activity have any unusual spikes, and you can customize them.

if you have the money, DO IT. if there is a problem, you want to catch as early on as possible, as to intercept any further growth leading to more invasive **** which is more expensive obviously. An Mri is a fancy X-ray. the "I" in mri stands for image. It is not brain surgery, no cuts, just pictures. kinda like a cat scan. not sure if you knew that or not, no offense if you did.....and although expensive, it gives you a sense of fact, rather than all sorts of what ifs, and personally, the what ifs are the worse, and being sorry as opposed to safe, especially with the miracle that is the golden retriever...FAMILY MEMBER **** FOR REAL....its excruciating. and I will say from first hand experience....I missed something with my last dog....or the vet did, or whoever....not worried about the blame honestly, it was enough my fault to be an enormous lesson, which took me a while to realize, but at least it wasn't a mistake. anyway. my dog, ben the dog, ended up suffering for a year or more with pretty bad pain, and being a golden, tried to hide anything but love, and did so very effectively. but I missed something, and he suffered. I guess ive realized that my dog is kinda worth a lot more than a lot of my stuff these days....and im lucky enough to be able to afford doing more than the minimum I guess, But its just that, im lucky.....not a better pet owner. My closing thought would be to do as much as you possibly can, resource wise, be very vigilant of new or different things behaviorally and what not, and love the absolute **** out of the awesome family member you are lucky to have.

ps. I am a concerned owner and thus friend, but no where near a vet.... when in doubt, check **** out...

I wish you the absolute best of luck, and give ur pup a tummy rub for me!!

I sincerely hope this helps someway.

·
Registered
2 Posts
****....I just realized the reality of this. so sorry, im not great at the internet. meant with love, love sent regardless\

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found your post when my 8 year old healthy golden had a grand mal seizure 2 months back. I just googled "8 year old golden retriever seizure"...anyways...I am so sad to know what we all went through. I found many similarities to your story. I think that I can provide some peace for your heart and mind. We live in a big city and had plenty of access/money/time to help our boy, but he was gone in a few short weeks after his first seizure. I believe that there was nothing more you could have done. It was cancer in the bone of his skull, pressing on his brain. This cancer is very painful, aggressive, quick, hopeless basically. The meds to keep him going a few more days had awful side effects. I am so sorry to bring up a pain from long ago, but you should let go of any doubts or guilt. xoxo

81 - 92 of 92 Posts