Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

61 - 80 of 92 Posts

·
Registered
6,576 Posts
I know when Tom first started his meds and when he gets an increase he can struggle on his back legs too, but apparently it's a side effect and can take a couple of weeks before he starts to look more like Tom, but it never stopped him from running around. Hope Bailey improves before the vet visit

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Ask your vet about the allergy meds and Pheno??? I looked it up and this is what it said;

Possible drug interactions are observed, the medication should not be used with drugs like barbiturates.

This might be part of why she is having so much trouble walking.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Eliz

Eliz

I would call the vet and tell them exactly what is happening. Praying for her!!

·
Registered
433 Posts
Elisabeth, I would definitely call the vet about that. What you describe sounds really extreme for it to be just a reaction to an increase in her pheno. It could definitely be a reaction with her allergy meds.

Praying for all of you!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I called the vet tonight, and the vet on call said it was likely just side effects of the meds. I stopped giving her the hydroxyzine anyway, just in case. She definitely doesn't need anymore sedation anyway, and that antihistamine is highly sedating. I think she is really frustrated and angry about how she feels- she snapped at me when I tried to help her up tonight, which she has never done before. We are now keeping her gated the kitchen, as I can't have her around the kids until she feels better. This is especially sad, as she was SO good around them- she would let them do anything to her and not get mad- and they adore her. It's just not worth taking a chance so we are keeping them far apart. She did get excited about the food my one year old twin boys threw down from their highchairs at dinner tonight, and l

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Another thought.. could she have an allergy to the antihistamine? My dog cant take antihistamines, because hes allergic to them. wonder if you can give her allergy shots?

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My heart goes out to you as I read about your latest struggles with Bailey. Irritability and drooling were things we saw in Charlie as his meds increased. It is something to discuss with your vet.

The HelpEmUp harness ( Help 'Em Up Harness with Hip Lift | Dog Harness, Hip Dysplasia, Dog Carrier) can be a great help when lifting a dog. Charlie wore one for months, and it made it much easier for us to help him in many situations.

Holding Bailey, you and your family in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Hmm, not sure why my last post truncated, sorry for that. I think what I wrote was that it was nice to see Bailey interested in something again, so I hoisted her up and she excitedly did her nightly ritual of gobbling up the few scraps the boys threw on the floor.

Bailey seemed crabby yesterday :(. I think all of this is getting to her. She seems to enjoy our walks around the yard. We've been doing this 3-4 times a day, where we make/help her get up and outside. Once she is up and outside she is pretty good about walking around, although quite wobbly. She falls down occasionally. She is being SO stubborn about going potty- I had her out for over 30 minutes this morning and she refused to go, even though I walked her to all of her favorite sniff spots. It is frustrating because I know I'll come home to another big mess, but I know she can't help it and she's worth it. I'm hoping all of these side effects are due to the insane amount of pills she is taking. The loading dose of KBr is TEN pills a day! I'm hoping when we take her in for her recheck on Saturday they can reduce this (without the recurrence of seizures) and she can start to be herself again. She didn't get terrible bad until we added in the Bromide. We did stop giving her the antihistimine just in case, so at least maybe she will be a little less sedated (although the hydroxyzine alone never had a sedating effect on her). Yesterday was just a rough day all around. I was hoping to start to see improvement over time, I guess I just need to be more patient. It breaks my heart that she seems angry at me. She isn't excited to see me anymore- I am more of an annoyance to her with all the making her go outside, giving her pills, and nightly wipedowns with chlorhexidine for her poor skin. I laid down to snuggle with her on the tile floor last night and she wanted nothing to do with me. This is just so not like her. She used to be the queen of affection. I'm hoping, again, that this will fade as she adjusts to her new meds.

This is all so hard. I want to thank all of you for your thoughts, prayers, support, advice and most of all just being there as I moan and groan (which is not my intent, I'm just a bit terrified of this all). There is no one IRL (besides DH, and not even him really) that understands. I am such a worry wart, DH is much more laid back with a wait and see approach. He keeps saying she'll be up and running around by next week. I'm a bit more realistic (pessimistic?). I'm taking a week's vacation next week from work as my kids don't have daycare, so I'm looking forward to being able to spend some time at home with her.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Our 12 1/2 old Logan started having seizures last June. It's now been a year since his last (of 2) seizures. We are only on pheno, now up to 90 mg twice a day, so I can't really help you with what side affects might show up because your girl is taking 2 others besides the pheno. I know with just the pheno it took at least a week for Logan to stablize a bit, and then it improved over the next couple of weeks. One suggestion I might make for the allergies, is you might try Loratadine, if you need to control allergies. It is the generic of Clariton. Good thing is it does not cause the drowzy side effects. Our Logan takes Loratadine with his pheno. Where as we use to have to give Logan about 4-5 chlortrimton (generic), we only have to give 1 or 2 Loratadine. But check with your vet first. Truly hope your girl stablizes on the 3 drugs and hopefully after her next vet visit you might be able to reduce the amount of the drugs. You are so right about them feeling frustrated on the drugs. They don't know what is happening to them and why they feel so bad by the side affects. Hopefully it will improve in the coming days.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Our 12 1/2 old Logan started having seizures last June. It's now been a year since his last (of 2) seizures. We are only on pheno, now up to 90 mg twice a day, so I can't really help you with what side affects might show up because your girl is taking 2 others besides the pheno. I know with just the pheno it took at least a week for Logan to stablize a bit, and then it improved over the next couple of weeks. One suggestion I might make for the allergies, is you might try Loratadine, if you need to control allergies. It is the generic of Clariton. Good thing is it does not cause the drowzy side effects. Our Logan takes Loratadine with his pheno. Where as we use to have to give Logan about 4-5 chlortrimton (generic), we only have to give 1 or 2 Loratadine. But check with your vet first. Truly hope your girl stablizes on the 3 drugs and hopefully after her next vet visit you might be able to reduce the amount of the drugs. You are so right about them feeling frustrated on the drugs. They don't know what is happening to them and why they feel so bad by the side affects. Hopefully it will improve in the coming days.
Thanks! We just switched vets this week to the 24 hour emergency vet clinic, mostly for continuity of care, but also because they seemed much more knowledgeable about seizures and skin troubles. Anyway, they were saying that Loratidine is actually their allergy med of choice, so I will have to ask them to write us a script for it. Less sedation would be nice!!

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Good news, you can just buy Loratadine over the counter in the allergy med section of Walmart, Target, etc. Just look for the store brand that says "compared to Clariton" and that the ingredient is the Loratadine. The bottle I have from Rite-Aide actually says Loratadine on the bottle itself.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #72 (Edited)
I lost my best friend today. I can't bear to write much, but even with the crippling levels of anticonvulsants Bailey was on, she had several mini-seizures over the course of a few hours last night. We decided we couldn't put her through that, as she was very uncomfortable, and made the hardest decision ever and took her to the e-vet at 2am. The vet said her symptoms were from a brain tumor, rather than the meds. Additional meds to control seizure activity were out of the question as she couldn't even hold her head up as it was. He said had she not been on the meds she was on, those mini-seizures would have been full blown staus elipticus. That didn't leave much of a decision to be made.

Today is the worst day of my life. I can't even put it in words.

Thank you everyone for your words of support and wisdom- it meant a lot to me.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Oh, Elisabeth, I am so very sorry to hear this. My heart is breaking for you. I'm sitting here at work with tears rolling down my face. I can only imagine how much pain and grief you're feeling right now, but I hope you can find some small comfort in knowing you did what was best for Bailey. You're in my thoughts...

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
:no::no:I'm so sorry that you had to let your sweet girl, Bailey go! My heart goes out to you. It is NOT fair at such a young age!!

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Im so sorry...My heart goes out to you and your family.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Elizabeth,

I am so sorry to hear about Bailey. I was just checking in and saw your heartbreaking news. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. May Bailey RIP.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Elisabeth, I am so, so sorry. There are no words that I can say. My heart aches for you. Please know you did the right thing, you took care of her and gave her love. You helped her and she knows you love her. She knows you did everything right by her and you saved her from suffering.

Prayers and peace to you this night.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
My heart goes out to you, knowing the exquisite pain of losing a relatively young and beloved dog so suddenly. I hope you are able to find comfort in knowing that you did all that could be done for Bailey and that you made the most loving decision in letting her go. You are in agony now, but Bailey is at peace.

Holding you in my thoughts and prayers,
Lucy

61 - 80 of 92 Posts