Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This forum has been such a help! I'm posting my experience with Nikko and to ask for advice.

Nikko had her first seizure 2 weeks before her 14th birthday. Since it was an evening weekend we took her to an emergency pet hospital, where they believed it to be a brain tumor and suggested an MRI. Because of her age we declined. We discussed medication at the time, but the vet suggested that we wait until the next seizure before starting any medication.

It took her a number of days to recover and she was back to normal with no seizures for 2 months. Then she had her second which didn't seem to be as severe. This time we know what to expect and were pretty positive since it had been a while since her first.

Then the very next day, she had 2 seizures so we took her to our vet, who prescribed 500mg Keppra 3 times daily (every 8 hours). It has only been 3 days since she started on the medication. I had read other posts about the side effects related to balance and was prepared for this. However, yesterday after 2 days on the medication she was unable to get up at all. It doesn't seem limited to her back legs - she'll fall back on them quite a bit but it's also her front legs. So she'll collapse falling forward as well. Last night we had to carry her outside (all 57 lbs of her) to try to get her to do her business. One time was successful and the other she just dropped to the ground when we put her on the grass. She is just slightly better this morning. Luckily we have a sling we used after knee surgery a number of years ago and that helps, especially to keep her from falling back into her poop!

I'll call her vet tomorrow when the office opens. My question is - has anyone else experienced a complete inability to get up and stand during the time they are adjusting to the Keppra? Is this temporary and will she get back to her ability to move on her own?

One last note about Nikko - she has been pretty active all her life with very long walks. She used to do about 5 miles a day but has slowed down over the last couple years to 1.5 - 2 miles a days. She has slight arthritis but nothing serious and she is not on any medication.

Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Any meds for seizures have side effects as you describe. It takes time for them to work and you have to get past them getting used to it. Takes time and patience, been there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you both for your thoughts and suggested links. I'll go through them and be back with any questions. Quite honestly, it helps that others can share their experiences. Will also be sure to keep you posted on her progress.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yesterday morning Nikko was still unable to move on her own other than to lift her head so after speaking with our vet, we took Nikko off the Keppra. By afternoon, she was able to get up and walk outside with lots of assistance. It's heartbreaking to see our precious girl like this, but we decided to take our chances without medication for now and see what happens. We may try again with the meds but I'm wondering if at 14+ years it's just too much for her.

She hasn't had a seizure but she does have a pronounced head tilt, which is new. She's been able to go outside a few times with the harness and sling and is eating and drinking when fed by hand. I just wanted to post an update on where we are!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Update on Nikko

It's been almost two months since I've posted about Nikko's progress.

After taking Nikko off Keppra in early April, Nikko improved to the point where she was able to move about on her own and go for short walks but continued having seizures - 3 in the period for 4/3 to 4/12. A recommendation from one of you in an email to me suggested that I try CBD oil. Quite honestly, my husband and I were ready to end her misery but decided to take the suggestion and started Nikko (55 lbs) on 3mg twice daily and she is now at 5mg twice daily.

At least for Nikko, it has made such a difference. She has not had a seizure since 4/12!! She runs around the yard, plays again and is back to her 2 mile walks daily. Not bad for 14 years and 4 months! She has her good days and not so good days so we just follow her lead. If she wants to walk and visit with neighbors, we do that, and if she decides to sit and then walk back towards home, it means she's had enough. I know she won't live forever, but it's been wonderful to see her enjoying life again! Thank you for the recommendation.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
Well that's good news. Thanks for the update.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I'm so sorry that Nikko is having seizures and glad that the CBD oil is helping. That one is new to me, which reminds me that my canine seizure expertise is a bit dated. (That's a good thing!)

In my experience with two beloved Golden seniors who had seizures late in life, it's usually a sign of some kind of brain tumor or lesion. Given dogs whose seizures began at 12 and 14, we opted against surgery or other treatments for the underlying disease and focused on seizure control. The meds gave my Charlie an extra year of life that he mostly enjoyed, while Joker probably had 6 months he wouldn't have had otherwise. If I made a mistake with either of them, it was probably that I didn't let them go soon enough. I hope you don't face that decision any time soon.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts