Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone....my sweet Bailey is going to be 12 in August. A few weeks ago he had an "episode" where he came in from outside (we had been out playing ball) and was staggering, lost his back legs, and walking from room to room....he had a similar experience 10 days later and we got it on video. A few days later a third. They all lasted minutes and he recovered immediately.
The Vet said probably seizures and his blood work showed nothing abnormal except high liver enzymes (one of them) that didn't necessarily point to anything specific. Regardless, they started him on phenobarbital. My 13 year old Golden has been on phenobarbital since he was 3, also a seizure dog, but seizure free for 7 years now! Bailey is having a very hard time adjusting to the meds. He's depressed, lethargic and has almost no use of his back legs. He was VERY active until this so it's beyond painful to watch. The Vet says it'll get better as he gets used to the meds. It's been 5 days. My heart hurts to watch him. Given the late onset of seizures, is this likely a brain tumor and should I keep putting him through the side effects of this medicine? The other possibility per the Vet is Cushing's disease, but he has no other symptoms of that. Any advice on how to help him through the side effects? I don't recall my other boy having this much trouble loading on the phenobarbital, but he was also a young 3 years old when he started. All advice welcome. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I am sorry this is happening to your sweet Bailey. I don't have any knowledge about this but you could try typing seizures in the search box. I know there are quite a few threads about it. Best wishes that he will get regulated and feeling good soon.

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,957 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks everyone! I will review the other threads I've been directed to. Today was a "better" day for him though he still has extremely weak back legs. His seizure episodes didn't do this to him so I feel like a horrible Mom since the medication that should be helping him is taking his strength away! Thanks again ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a husky that has had seizures since he was younger, we have run the gamut with anti-seizure medication and side effects. We are currently on a small dose of Pheno and maximum Zonisamide which has been working decently for quite some time with minimal side effects. There are LOTS of medications out there so don’t feel like you have to stick to one if the side effects are too bad. Also, not sure what state you’re in, but the thing that got us completely seizure free for the last 2 years (was having 1 per week) was CBD. I know this can be controversial - but it’s working great for us. Happy to share more privately if you’re interested in the more natural route.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts