Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We adopted our sandy mae in august of 2017 at 5ish years old. She received little to no vet care. We however, brought her in immediately, got her shots, started her up on proheart and nexguard. In january she had her first seizure. Fast forward to May, and she has two more, two weeks apart. A theory of mine, after reading about all of the "over vaccinating" claims, (Im not saying that I do or do not believe this) but it got me wondering if after her 5 years of lacking health care, then the sudden boom of meds has wrecked havoc on her system. My immediate plan is to stop the nexguard. She gets bathed, ours and neighbors yards sprayed, I don't live in a woodsy area, and they don't have contact with other animals other than my 3. So fleas and ticks aren't a big concern. With my concern over the meds being out there, Im very hesitant to get her on seizure meds. Plus, it's for life. SOOOOOO.......CBD oil anyone? I've read up, but thats a topic that my vet really won't touch. Also, in southern louisiana, I have NO idea where to purchase that. Naturally I turn to amazon, but there's just way too much to know where to start. I now turn to you guys. Anyone use it? What brand? Dosage? oil, capsule, or spray? I feel like finding a reputable site for animal dosage on a slightly controversial treatment doesn't exist. THHHHANKS!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,678 Posts
I've heard of people treating seizures with CBD but I have no firsthand or third party knowledge of it.

My bridge boy took CBD oil for pain management for over 2 years. My vet was on the fence but willing to see what happened with the knowledge that I'm doing it without her prescribing it (so she doesn't get in trouble cause federally pot is still a drug). We got our CBD oil from https://canna-pet.com/ I've used both their oil (drops into food/mouth) and we used the CBD treats. I prefer the treats cause they are easier to give but the oil is super easy to give when dogs are off their food (which is where we were at the end of his life).

There are a couple dog seizure support groups on FB that you might want to look into. You might get more information from actual owner's dealing with epileptic dogs and their own experiences with CBD oil. :)

·
Registered
7,511 Posts
I use CBD oil for my two guys: one for anxiety and recovery after surgery; the other for IBD. I worked with a holistic vet to get the correct dosage. My primary vet also is onboard with it for both guys. I order HempRx from petstruly.com. My guys are 67 and 72 lbs. The one with anxiety gets .75ML in the morning and evening and .5ML at Noon. It's definitely helping. The one with IBD gets .5 ML in the morning and night.

It's important to understand the level of CBD oil (I don't which is why I worked with my vet). I encourage you to find one in your area. All the vets I spoke with mentioned that it's good for seizures.

I did speak to the holistic vet the other day and she mentioned something about "detoxing" after vaccines. I plan to do more research on this as well.

Reactions: jeffscott947

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
Sorry your girl is having seizures.

One thing I would consider is asking your Vet about the Proheart........ it was taken off the market several years ago because many dogs had negative side effects, many dogs died. To be honest, I was surprised it was brought back on the market. I would consider using a different HW preventative if it were me. If you do a search here on the forum for Proheart, threads will come up you can read through. One member lost her dog after getting it.

I did a Google Search, pulled up this article, it says one of the side effects to Proheart is seizures-

https://www.zoetisus.com/products/dogs/proheart6/img/assets/proheart-6-prescribing-information.pdf

I give Heartgard plus, give it on the first of every month, then two weeks later I give a dose of Nexgard. I've been giving these two products to my dogs for many years without any side effects or problems.

I don't have any experience using CBD Oil mainly because it's illegal in my State.

Good luck, hope your girl will be doing better soon. Sandy Mae is a pretty girl.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Have you checked her for heartworm? If she is negative, I definitely wouldn't stop the HW meds, since you live in Louisiana.

·
Banned
2 Posts
In fact, cbd oil helps a lot with various diseases and this is proven from a medical point of view. In some cases, doctors even recommend the use of CBD oil. I myself had problems with convulsions and I myself decided to try to order CBD oil, but for this I needed a doctor’s prescription. Then I decided to do differently and order a CBD Vape Pen with a set of cartridges from CBD Vape Pen | All Natural, Organic and Food Grade . This is a very popular store and many friends ordered juice from the CBD from there. You won’t believe it, but it really helped me and the number of my seizures has become much less ...! So it really works !!!

·
Registered
773 Posts
We adopted our sandy mae in august of 2017 at 5ish years old. She received little to no vet care. We however, brought her in immediately, got her shots, started her up on proheart and nexguard. In january she had her first seizure. Fast forward to May, and she has two more, two weeks apart. A theory of mine, after reading about all of the "over vaccinating" claims, (Im not saying that I do or do not believe this) but it got me wondering if after her 5 years of lacking health care, then the sudden boom of meds has wrecked havoc on her system. My immediate plan is to stop the nexguard. She gets bathed, ours and neighbors yards sprayed, I don't live in a woodsy area, and they don't have contact with other animals other than my 3. So fleas and ticks aren't a big concern. With my concern over the meds being out there, Im very hesitant to get her on seizure meds. Plus, it's for life. SOOOOOO.......CBD oil anyone? I've read up, but thats a topic that my vet really won't touch. Also, in southern louisiana, I have NO idea where to purchase that. Naturally I turn to amazon, but there's just way too much to know where to start. I now turn to you guys. Anyone use it? What brand? Dosage? oil, capsule, or spray? I feel like finding a reputable site for animal dosage on a slightly controversial treatment doesn't exist. THHHHANKS!
I had to use CBD oil for Humans from a dispensary because the FDA was complaining about their pet products (which were taken from the shelf to keep the feds out of Nevada). I used the weight scale for humans as a guide, but began with half of that. (Less is More)
Like you, my vet was unable to speak about CBD but did NOT say no!

Check the CBD for dogs related thread linked in my signature below, for some information. The attempts by a few to derail the thread were successful, and the thread was heavily edited and shut down, but there are still some interesting presentations and videos to be seen (you can google from there.)
DON'T FORGET TO LOOK AT THE BACKDOOR PATENT HELD BY THE US GOVERNMENT FOR A REAL EYE OPENER!:rolleyes: (Google the USPTO patent #, also in my sig.)

Bottom line for me was that it gave my since passed 14.5 yr old Border Collie an additional six months of quality life. Best wishes for you and yours.

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
The reality is, this is NOT proven in animals. And probably will not be proven beyond an anecdotal place anytime soon. Since this is a Golden Retriever forum, it should be noted that there are no peer reviewed studies showing CBD to be useful for any dogs.

Reactions: Otter

·
Registered
773 Posts
User from the UK said "Just take her to the vet"...
Sure did..and that person opened the old thread back up..Not I...
I responded to that recent post, after reading a few of the old comments preceding it. People still have the right to make their own choices in most states across the USA.

The doubters will always doubt, with zero evidence, and that's on them!
Those willing to try CBD for dogs, and not just let them suffer or die early are to be applauded, not ridiculed.

·
Super Moderator
3,819 Posts
I responded to that recent post, after reading a few of the old comments preceding it. People still have the right to make their own choices in most states across the USA.

Those willing to try CBD for dogs, and not just let them suffer or die early are to be applauded, not ridiculed.
The point I was making was the user who reopened the thread was responding to a whole litany of treatment options that the OP was exploring to manage seizures. The user who reopened the thread was suggesting a veterinary visit rather than flailing about.

Reactions: Prism Goldens

·
Registered
773 Posts
The point I was making was the user who reopened the thread was responding to a whole litany of treatment options that the OP was exploring to manage seizures. The user who reopened the thread was suggesting a veterinary visit rather than flailing about.
What this is all about is doing the best for our dogs that are in need, not negatively flailing about, with no evidence or proof to the contrary, of the positive effects that CAN be had, especially when conventional medicine has FAILED!

The info in that thread was old and I renewed it.. The other thread was derailed by the same few, and there is much new information to be had out there. No one is telling anyone what to use or do, just presenting alternatives to consider.
People remain free to pursue the treatment that they wish, in all except TWO states in the USA; and do their own research and then decide how to treat their own dogs. No one (on the CBD side) has attempted to impart medical advice or opinions, or tried make anyone believe anything; unlike those opposed.

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
2,147 Posts

You say "not just let them suffer or die early" You know that's pretty **** selfish. Die early? You mean drag them out and suffer? You know they may still be suffering, just a little less and continuing to make them suffer. A dog can't tell you anything that is wrong with them or how they feel. You realize animals hide their illnesses very very well. That goes for dogs too. Recent evidence of this was just brought up in a post about someone can't believe how fast they can go. There's no way their dog wasn't feeling well until it showed signs, it was just hiding it just well enough.

The point here is, as much as dogs rely on us for EVERYTHING such as as food, water, grooming, vet care, love, the depend on us to make the right decision for them when it's time. So, giving them some oil that may help or appear to help to a degree may only really be taking the edge off but they may very well still be suffering.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
What this is all about is doing the best for our dogs that are in need, not negatively flailing about, with no evidence or proof to the contrary, of the positive effects that CAN be had, especially when conventional medicine has FAILED!

The info in that thread was old and I renewed it.. The other thread was derailed by the same few, and there is much new information to be had out there. No one is telling anyone what to use or do, just presenting alternatives to consider.
People remain free to pursue the treatment that they wish, in all except TWO states in the USA; and do their own research and then decide how to treat their own dogs. No one (on the CBD side) has attempted to impart medical advice or opinions, or tried make anyone believe anything; unlike those opposed.
Why would you be saying try CBD against their vet's advice when you are SO big on people going to their vet instead of the internet????

·
Registered
8,181 Posts
It cracks me up that a dog can have what is clearly, by maroon hair, a yeast problem - and you are all GO TO THE VET yet you will give your dog and suggest to others that it is acceptable to give to their animals a drug that has zero evidence it is useful. No studies. Nothing. Except it appears to take the edge off to your eye which does not mean the dog is not suffering any longer. That 'knowing look' and her inability to discuss legally as a reason for her not discussing at all tells me your vet is humoring you.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Why would you be saying try CBD against their vet's advice when you are SO big on people going to their vet instead of the internet????
Because the VET has the education, and you get to see a real diploma. Not to mention that the internet can't do an in person exam, and check for complications; pretty much the same reason that I would not go to my barber for my own medical diagnosis.

NO one ever said not to listen to the vet (me anyway), And I have no idea where that one came from (again). Sure, Dr. Google is free, but at what real cost? I prefer to spend a few $$ on my pets, when I deem it necessary to seek medical advice.

I will take my vet's visual cues (since speaking about CBD in the office is a no-no) any day over anything that I read in any dog forum by self proclaimed experts. Since there were only three of us present (Vet + assistant + me)..NO ONE ELSE has any idea of what transpired during the session.

If my vet/surgeon did not agree..she would have verbally indicated her disapproval! (known her at different levels for over 10 yrs). Unless a breeder, trainer etc. has a Veterinary education, and has graduated from an accredited veterinary school; I would take those opinions with a grain of salt. (at the most).

Some of those same people have gone so far as to say that people are getting their dogs stoned on CBD..yet another ill informed and dangerous fabrication.

I find it rather odd that those that admittedly know little to nothing about CBD, are the first to make light of its possible benefits for our dogs.

There lots of STORIES about CBD helping dogs..yet there none showing that any dangerous reactions have occurred (proper CBD with <.3% THC))..unlike certain prescribed meds.
Of course over doing anything can negatively impact the liver of mammals..just like NSID's and liquor!

·
Registered
4 Posts
CBD oil for dogs is being studied by the AKC with a vet neurologist. The vet is in Missouri and has a published on the AVMA. The AKC & vet have been doing a larger study. Her study proves CBD oil does work for some dogs with seizures. The FDA has approved CBD oil for humans with certain types of seizures. My Remy has Hypothyroidism with associated seizures. It took several months to get the thyroid problem straightened out. The seizures were monthly after heartgard. I believe the HW meds triggered the seizure. I switched him to another HW med and he got worse for 1 month. Also topical flea and tick can trigger seizures in some dogs. I put Remy on Petreleaf CBD oil for the last 14 days and he hasn't had his minor seizure. I will get him on HW meds but eliminate the topical flea and tick. PetReleaf was one of the oldest companies making CBD oil. It uses only organic crops and best extraction methods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
You are all finally in my arena now, lol. Spent years in cannabis and hemp. While the detractors are correct that there are no reliable studies and we only have anecdotal evidence for CBD usage with dogs, that sort of response makes light of the hundreds and thousands of pet owners getting relief for their animals.

There aren’t studies because of issues with continued Federal illegality of cannabis as well as a completely hamstrung Hemp program that was supposed to legalize hemp nationwide.

I’ve literally seen people brought back from the brink of DEATH from cancer and the like by using cannabis protocols. Same with pain and pets, I’ve seen MIRACLES for arthritic dogs, poor dogs that could barely get up from their bed going for a jog after taking CBD.

yes, we should rely on science when we can, but when there isn’t science to rely on, we do what we must to keep our family members healthy and pain free. Again, it isn’t that there is scientific evidence saying it is bad, that would be different.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts