Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Golden Retriever Forum. My wife and I are looking for a Golden Retriever puppy, and have spent the last few weeks learning about what to look for in a reputable breeder. I found a breeder, who is listed on the Long Island Golden Retriever club website as a breeder. I have spoken over the phone with him a couple times and he seems to know his stuff and did not make me feel pressured, but since I am new to this, I want to ask your thoughts on a on a few things:

1. The breeder's name is Kevin Doyle. He is on Long Island, NY. Has anyone heard of him, and if so, can you provide any feedback on interacting with him?

2. He told me that he recently bred these 2 dogs for an upcoming litter:
(Dam: Baypointe Dreams Do Come True “ALEX” - SR94245601) x (Sire: Goodtimes Like a Rolling Stone “DYLAN” - SR97725604). I looked them up on OFA and they seemed to have healthy bloodlines, but wanted to make sure I was reading it right. Do these dogs have a good health history? Anything I should be concerned about?​
3. What are the typical methods of payment for a deposit on a puppy? Is sending a personal check by mail safe? He said he send an email confirming that he received the deposit.

4. He does not have a website, but did send me pictures of the puppies, sire, dam and an application that lists his address. Does it matter that he does not have a website?

5. What else should I ask for before sending him my deposit?

6. Should there be a written and signed contract between us that also includes a bill of sale and health guarantee?

Thank you.

·
Registered
5,586 Posts
I don't think it is necessarily bad that there is no website. It is a good sign that he is a member of a Golden Retriever Club. Hopefully some of the pros at health clearances will check in soon but it seems like you are on the right track.

·
Registered
10,334 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I am new to the Golden Retriever Forum. My wife and I are looking for a Golden Retriever puppy, and have spent the last few weeks learning about what to look for in a reputable breeder. I found a breeder, who is listed on the Long Island Golden Retriever club website as a breeder. I have spoken over the phone with him a couple times and he seems to know his stuff and did not make me feel pressured, but since I am new to this, I want to ask your thoughts on a on a few things:

1. The breeder's name is Kevin Doyle. He is on Long Island, NY. Has anyone heard of him, and if so, can you provide any feedback on interacting with him?

2. He told me that he recently bred these 2 dogs for an upcoming litter:
(Dam: Baypointe Dreams Do Come True “ALEX” - SR94245601) x (Sire: Goodtimes Like a Rolling Stone “DYLAN” - SR97725604). I looked them up on OFA and they seemed to have healthy bloodlines, but wanted to make sure I was reading it right. Do these dogs have a good health history? Anything I should be concerned about?​
3. What are the typical methods of payment for a deposit on a puppy? Is sending a personal check by mail safe? He said he send an email confirming that he received the deposit.

4. He does not have a website, but did send me pictures of the puppies, sire, dam and an application that lists his address. Does it matter that he does not have a website?

5. What else should I ask for before sending him my deposit?

6. Should there be a written and signed contract between us that also includes a bill of sale and health guarantee?

Thank you.
I'd ask LJilly if she knows him. There is no ownership info on either of the dogs on k9data, and yes, both have clearances. Sire has breeder option on eyes.
Check for deposit is normal, just be comfortable with the process- some breeders have a time limit on change of mind, naturally. There absolutely should be a contract and you might ask to see that document prior to sending a deposit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts