Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seeing eye dog - proper etiquette !?!

I many times run into blind or seeing-disabled (not sure the appropriate term) people, many times you can see them on the bus or street and some of them have assistance dogs (almost always it's a golden retriever or lab). My assumption is that proper etiquitte would be to ignore their dogs even though they sometime seek my attention.

Even if it doens't seem to bother the dog's owner, nor distract the dog from her duty, I am not sure what is the best reaction to take.

Maybe someone can answer this question.

maya

·
Registered
10 Posts
when i was little and going to vaction bible school one of our teachers had a seeing eye dog. The rule was when he was wearing his working harness we were to ignore him but if he was in his reg leash it was ok to pet. But iam sure they would love to talk about their dog even if you cant pet it.
One of my pups left last saturday to be a service dog, and one of the things i learned is that most people with disablities are igorned, and not apart of socitiy till they get a dog. Then people will stop and talk to them, and the dog helps bring them back to socitiy so talk to the person, and ask them about the dog.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Isn't it against the law to interfere with a service dog?
I think that only the handler should decide who will touch his/her dog and when and whether the dog is on or off duty.
It is not up to us to decide whether or not the dog is "off-duty", so unless the handler states otherwise, we shouldn't touch his/her dog! ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
seeing eye dog

Here in Australia we have advertiements on the tele and in the papers about this very subject.

The ads say leave the dogs alone and I would agree.

Many of the harnesses which are attatched to the dogs display a small sign on them saying not to touch the dog.

This dog is working and shouldn't be distracted from its very important job.

One wrong move from the dog and it could be a disaster.

Also...
Why do so many people pay so much more attention to seeing eye dogs? You could see half a dozen people walking down the street with dogs but everyone makes a beeline for the one who is helping the disabled person out.

Alissa

·
Premium Member
4,618 Posts
Allisa, we have the exact same thing in Canada (at least I've seen this in Toronto), where service dogs do carry a small sign saying not to touch.Joe

·
Registered
10 Posts
Leena G said:
Isn't it against the law to interfere with a service dog?
I think that only the handler should decide who will touch his/her dog and when and whether the dog is on or off duty.
It is not up to us to decide whether or not the dog is "off-duty", so unless the handler states otherwise, we shouldn't touch his/her dog! ;)
this is way i said talk to them. i always ask if i can pet someone dog, even if they are not a service dog.
that was just what our teacher tought us at class, and how to act and know when we saw Luther (her seeing eye dog).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Liss said:
Here in Australia we have advertiements on the tele and in the papers about this very subject.

The ads say leave the dogs alone and I would agree.

Many of the harnesses which are attatched to the dogs display a small sign on them saying not to touch the dog.

This dog is working and shouldn't be distracted from its very important job.

One wrong move from the dog and it could be a disaster.

Also...
Why do so many people pay so much more attention to seeing eye dogs? You could see half a dozen people walking down the street with dogs but everyone makes a beeline for the one who is helping the disabled person out.

Alissa

I thought about this also. I think it is because people have so much respect and amazement for what the dog is doing. Here in Scotland, they also have a sign saying not to distract the dog because it is working or training.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I wouldn't touch a assistance dog, or guide dog whilst it was in harness as I know that when they are harnessed they are working, and it would distract them from their job.

Having said that though, I sometimes do strike up a conversation with that person, asking about their dog, and how wonderful it is that these dogs help their owners with day to day living.

Sometimes that person will allow me to pat the dog whilst we are sitting chatting, but I'd never touch the dog without having asked first.

It is so cute though, to see the pups in training, wearing their little 'learners jackets' and wagging their tails in happiness at the sight of the people all gooing and gaaing over them.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I know this is an old thread but just had to say I saw the coolest thing in the airport. This blind guys dog was picking out his bags off the conveyor. I assume by smell.

The guy had his hand right on the dog's head, then the dog started sniffing all the bags like a bomb dog. when it found a bag he'd grab the bag with his mouth then the guy slid his hand down the front of the dogs face to find the bag.

They had three bags so I got to see how they did it real good.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
I work with a blind lady who has a service dog. Two years ago, her and the DH went on a cruise and I dog-watched their dog (Orion), with Andy Farmer. Orion had a blast at my house and he never forgot who I was. When I see him at work, he goes nuts!!! ( which is a BIG NO-NO). I try not to make eye-contact with him but he knows me. It's amazing! She allows him to say hi to me, but only in a controlled environment. Love that boy!

·
Angel Gage's Grandma
8,017 Posts
I am amazed at what service dogs can learn, but from what I've observed, it really takes a toll on them and they seem to age more quickly. Don't know if it's true or not, but that's my observation. But it is amazing to watch the seeing-eye, hearing and service dogs, and now there are a few who can predict seizures in people with epilepsy or other neurological disorders.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
AquaClaraCanines is training her Golden to be a service dog for Courtney, maybe she can tell us more...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
i was amazed by a service dog(Golden) when John and i went on a cruise last year. this Golden meant business, there were so many people around him and he didnt miss a beat. i missed Roxy so bad and wanted to play with him, but i knew he was working. my only question and alot of other people asked where does a dog use the bathroom on a cruise ship? Denise

1 - 15 of 15 Posts