Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Security Cameras In Veterinary Exam Rooms?

• Approve and not bothered by it

Votes: 31 81.6%
  • Object but won't go elsewhere

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • Object and will find another veterinarian

Votes: 3 7.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How would you feel if a security camera were placed (and active) in a veterinary examination room? I'm also curious what our veterinarians think about this. Thanks!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I dont have a problem with it...cameras are everywhere....
Given that there are attractive street drugs at vet offices....it may even help them to reduce their insurance costs.

·
Super Moderator Leader
45,828 Posts
I dont have a problem with it...cameras are everywhere....
Given that there are attractive street drugs at vet offices....it may even help them to reduce their insurance costs.
I have absolutely no problem with that. It's their place of business and security cameras give both you and the vet a form of protection.
I totally agree with what both of you have said. I have been going to the same Vet Clinic for 16 years now. If they installed cameras it wouldn't bother me at all.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
My guess (and it is just a guess) is to have a video record just in case there is a break-in or robbery.

My only thought was WHY would cameras be necessary. <- I mean I don't mind them being at the vet waiting room or private exam room or whatever, I just don't see the point. o_O

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Not if they have a gun pointed at the front desk person in the waiting room or at a vet tech the exam room. Plus the more cameras there are, the harder it would be to avoid all of them on the way to where the drugs are kept (if an after-hours break in).

But wouldn't it make more sense to have those cameras where there are things worth stealing? Do vets normally have meds in exam rooms? :confused:

·
Kate
20,709 Posts
Not if they have a gun pointed at the front desk person in the waiting room or at a vet tech the exam room. Plus the more cameras there are, the harder it would be to avoid all of them on the way to where the drugs are kept (if an after-hours break in).
Wow. I guess I am just small town naive because it never occurred to me that people would do that at the vet. :bowl:

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I don't think it is something that needs to be in an exam room. Am I bothered enough to object and change veterinarians? No.

Most veterinary practices keep their drugs that people want to steal in their surgery room under lock and key. I do think it wise to video monitor that room with the controlled drugs in it.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
No problem at all with their presence, HOWEVER, I would have a problem if they were hidden in an area I thought was private. For my own privacy's sake, if I am being left alone in an exam room.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
T and I noticed yesterday am when we had the girls in that there were cameras in the vet's office. I didn't notice them in the exam rooms, but there was one directed at the front desk and one toward the entrance and down the hall. Personally, I don't mind, especially if they help deter break ins or thefts of drugs, equipment, etc.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This is a large veterinary hospital, two stories, with boarding and a large fenced in(and gated) pet day camp area. There are 7-10 veterinarians with privileges there (a few left recently and I think I know why....) Security cameras are on the outside of the premises, in all of the public areas, and placed in the corner of each of the six exam rooms pointed to both where the exams take place and the pets and owners sit as well. I don't have a problem with them in the public areas--that's great and it makes me feel more secure. They also have a state posted sign prohibiting concealed weapons on premises. That's fine as well as I usually don't pack heat to go to the vet. I also don't have a conceptual objection to them watching me personally with my dog before the nurse, vet tech and/or veterinarian enter the exam room. I'm usually massaging Toby and he's kissing me. :smooch: I do find it extremely creepy that someone is monitoring what the veterinarian is doing though. Today I asked our vet to write out a prescription to a vet supply house, instead of using the in-house pharmacy, and she gave a glance to the nurse and they both looked back at the camera (it's one of those covered dome things so you have no idea if it's on or not). It suddenly dawned on me that the whole idea of Big Brother looking over what experienced (decades experience in this case) vets are doing is just sort of creepy. I'm not leaving the practice because this practice is top notch, but ewwww...Next time I may hold up a sign that reads "Big Brother--this is creeping your clientele out!"

There are no drugs in the exam rooms, nothing that could be used for illicit purposes.

One good thing about these cameras- if they have an in-clinic pet napping--they have footage! This gives me more comfort to leave our dogs in boarding there.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I hadn't thought of the big brother aspect with a big practice. Talk about a way to flush employee morale down the tubes. Boo, hiss, on that account. That's very troublesome to me.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I hadn't thought of the big brother aspect with a big practice. Talk about a way to flush employee morale down the tubes. Boo, hiss, on that account. That's very troublesome to me.
I know, and I think one of our favorite vets is gone now, and I suspect it's due to this big brother attitude. The timing is too soon to be coincidental. :(

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
My friend's husband is a vet with two offices. His car, and both clinics have been broken into multiple times and drugs have been stolen. One of the scariest things is that somebody stole some of the drug used to put animals to sleep - I forget the name of it. Just imagine what happens with that in the wrong hands!

In this day, people that are addicted to drugs do some awful things to get their drugs - think of all the oxycontin robberies. I also have heard druggies that have stolen prescription pads and written their own scripts. This all happened in a small town I used to live in - and it rarely makes the news.

I would think that the cameras are there so the employees themselves don't steal the drugs, or that somebody can't hold a tech or vet at gunpoint in the exam room for drugs, or maybe even for lawsuits in a case where something was done that should not have been done.

Cameras are everywhere now - just a way of life - but I have no problem with them being in the vets.

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
but then they will see how many of their treats I give the dogs while I'm waiting ;)

·
Registered
20,995 Posts
oh, I hadn't thought of the big brother aspect either. My vet has a small practice, himself and 2 other vets, so it never even crossed my mind.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts