Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Smoking around your pets?

• I do not currently smoke.

Votes: 41 68.3%
  • I smoke around my pets and am concerned about how it might affect them.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • I smoke around my pets and am not concerned about how it might affect them.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Someone in my household smokes around my pets and I don't like it.

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Someone in my household smokes around my pets, but it's okay with me.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I or someone in my household smokes, but we consciously avoid smoking around our pets.

Votes: 12 20.0%

• Total voters
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Scouts Mom
844 Posts
Just an aside, has anyone read anything about "third hand smoke"? New studies showing that the smoke smell that lingers on clothing and in hair, contains the same toxins that direct cigarette smoke does.
I do not smoke and yes I have read about that. Babies and children can get ear infections from leaning against a persons clothes or falling asleep on bedding that has been smoked around. My cousins husband smokes but never around his kids. All three of their children have had chronic ear infections for years. The doctor told my cousin that it could be from smoking in the car or her husbands clothes. Even though he never smokes around them the chemicals get into the materials he smokes around.

It is also a fact that if you smoke in your home and never around your baby your baby is still more likely to die of SIDS.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
I quit smoking 2 years ago. When I was a smoker, I didn't smoke in the house, but I was guilty of smoking in the car with the dogs riding with me. My husband is still a smoker, but not in the house, only in his truck or outside. I don't like riding in his truck much because it smells so bad.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
In my work I make home visits and am often subjected to secondhand smoke (and I guess third hand as my clothes and hair stink of it after I leave). So much for a smoke free workplace

·
Old Gold is the Best Gold
18,122 Posts
I don't smoke- I'm pregnant, and I never was a big time smoker. Ian doesn't smoke (never has). When we have friends or family over who do, they smoke outside. I don't want smoke around my kid at all... I don't worry about the dogs particularly with it, but am glad there's no smoking in the house.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
WOW-this is an important thread!!! My dad smoked for many years, but never inside the house, fortunately.

Thank you for posting. :wave:

·
Registered
5,059 Posts
We live in a semi-detached house and our stupid neighbors smoke inside their house constantly, and they don't open up any windows so we smell it very strongly in our basement and sometimes on the first floor. When they have people over it's especially bad. So when that happens, I do everything to get the dogs to bark very loudly....all night long. We had a very high radon reading, so we got it fixed, but now we have to smell their smoke. I can imagine how their lungs are going to be with smoking and the high radon level.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
When I had my first school with my employer, Tomotherapy, we had to attend a manditory radiation safety class which included why cigarette smoke is so dangerous.
First of all, the lungs do not have much tollerance to radiation.
Here in the U.S. most of the tobacco is grown east of the Apalachian Mtns, which used to be as great a range as the Rockys. The soil that has come of the mountain range contains radioactive polonium which gives off alpha radiation. Yeah, no S***.
Alpha radiation is usually no big deal. It can be stopped by paper, or lung tissue.
So you may see where I'm going here....
Well anyway, plants that grow in this soil, and in particular tobacco, absorb the polonium in their leaves and since we all know tobacco's primary use, guess what gets stuck in your lungs giving off a constant stream of alpha radiation? to a tissue that doesnt tollerate radiation well......
I'm only the messenger....

21 - 30 of 30 Posts