Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of you know of my 3 month old GR Emma. While on business in NH, ME, and MA, Emma woke up to a second UTI. She had been feeling better for a bout a week (finished her meds). Then out of the blue worse than ever!! What would cause this? We saw a vet within hours of her symptoms in ME. He gave her a stronger antibiotic. Tues & Wed she was ok. Then Thurs she had a "bout" of symptoms. I was then in MA but I called the ME vet. He said to give it a few days. She seems ok now. But I have an appointment on Monday for vaccines. So our PA vet can check her. Is this normal? The ME vet said it is puppy vaginitus (sp?). Could it be her food? She is on Royal Canin. If any of you have experience with this I'd like to know. Also, at the same time she has both ears infected!!! Poor baby!! (poor wallet, too:(.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
My Golden is older but she went thru a spell of repeated UTIs but she has had none for quite some time now. Has your vet done culture and sensitivities on the samples to make sure the most sensitive antibiotic is used?
He may need to keep your pup on the antibiotic longer to make sure it completely clears. I believe my dog was on them for about 2 months.
I now give her a cranberry and vitamin C powder that seems to help to keep them from recurring.
I hope you are able to get this to clear up soon!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for advice. Where do you get cranberry and vitamin c powder? And do you sprinkle it over her food? Today Emma is so quiet and just laying around. I'm seeing the vet on Monday so hope they can re-evaluate her. I think I posted this on the wrong thread and don't know how to move it...

·
chew chew chew
3,571 Posts
What food is she on? I would suggest either raw, or canned, or grain free (in that order of choice). Get as much fluids into her so she's flushing herself out lots - chicken broth (low salt) jello, canned food with water added to make gravy, or raw ground with water added. In other words don't feed dry meals ( like a dry bowl of kibble) but serve lots of 'soup' where she's got water added. You want her to pee LOTS!!!

Cranberry pills would be the easiest I think, given whole if she won't eat them otherwise. Vitamin C, same thing, you can get both anywhere you get vitamins.

Personally I would NOT vaccinate till she's totally healthy, and I would hope most vets wouldn't, but some will regardless of the dog's health.

Poor girl, hope she's feeling better soon!

Lana

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Lana thanks so much. I will call the vet first thing Monday to talk about waiting for the Vaccinations. I think Emma has enough going on in her body. When you say Jello, do you mean like strawberry jello in a cup? I have some of those... And are the cranberry pills for humans? Any particular strength? I feel so helpless. I know she feels awful today, she isn't even playing.

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I went through this with my dog when she was a puppy and I really recommend Cran-Tri-C, http://www.naturesfarmacy.com/store/details.php?prodId=57&category=&secondary=&keywords=cran

She's been on this for a long time now and I really think it's what helps keep her UTI's from returning. It comes with a scoop in the container and I give her a full scoop once a day which is 5768 mg of Vitamin C and cranberry. You do need to be careful at first because it can cause loose stools, so slowly increase the amount. Good luck!

·
Administrator
16,481 Posts
I am not sure about anything to help you here but I hope your vet can so as not to have Emma to go through this again.

·
Misty & Holly's Mom :)
8,164 Posts
Im sorry she is going through this...Misty had a few UTIs and after being on antibiotics for almost 2 months shes fine (this was last year) found out she had one recently and I also found out that I could get her free or reduced antibiotics at Publix ( a supermarket here in GA) and Walmart..so at least her antibiotics were free this time...she was on amoxicillian
Hope you get to the bottom of why your little one is having recurrent UTIs

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Can I give her regular (humans) cranberry pills? Someone told me to give her half a pill...
You can, but I'm not sure how many mg's of cranberry are in each pill ... you could potentially be giving her a lot of pills. That's why I like the powder because I just put it on my dog's food and she likes how it tastes (and it's also really concentrated).

Also, I wanted to add that it's important for the vet to do a urine sensitivity culture to identify the bacteria and the appropriate antibiotic to treat the infection. They can take a sterile sample directly from the dog's bladder (if they didn't do this already).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts