Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our first golden, Maggie is exactly 1 yr and our second one Chip is 3 mts. We have never had two before at the sametime and it is lots of work but we are loving it! "Most" of the time both are minding their manners but I have to remember both are really still "puppies".
First question, how rough is too rough? They love to play, bite each other, etc and I'm always watching to make sure neither gets too crazy. But just curious when to separate them?

Second question, is it normal for either of them to growl at the other when protecting their chew bone. Both seem to always want what the other has....even when their bones are exactly the same! My older one Maggie (1yr) is starting to REALLY growl and at this point I've just been taking the bones away, so neither get to enjoy them.
Of course, Chip is only 3 mts and is needing to chew on something, better a bone than the legs of my furniture!
Any suggestions? Thanks for the advise!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
We just got a puppy, and have a 6 yr old. For playtime, I watch to see if the puppy is trying to get away and can't...then I might tell Maggie (6 yr old) to back off a bit. Generally though, if the puppy is going back for more I assume it's OK.
Guarding flavored chews is the only time Maggie will growl at Bailey. Toys, she doesn't care about, but if she working on a bone or something she'll usually growl and grab it to retreat. If I feel like the puppy doesn't get the hint, I'll step in.
Sometimes the play can look really rough, use your best judgement but remember that biting is the way they play. Anytime one or the other whines though...they most likely went a bit too far.

·
Loving goldens since '95
7,004 Posts
We're watching my mom's 3yr old and ours is 10mts. I usually watch for when their tails stop wagging and they get stiff. That shows me it's time to break it up.

I'm not an expert but I think you're doing the right thing to take away their bones when they start to growl.

If your puppy is chewing on other stuff, and the growling continues over treats, maybe try giving them their bones while inside of their own crates? They will probably feel protected in there that the other won't get their treat!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I let my older dogs correct puppies...currently little Raleigh.
Last night she lay on the floor, a respectable distance away, for a good 30 minutes waiting for Liberty to finish playing with a Kong.
Liberty was proofing her...cause there was nothing in that Kong to enjoy! 3-4 days ago she would have gotten a correction.

It is much easier for a puppy to learn the signals/signs from older, firm-but-fair, dogs that it is rude to take another dogs bones/food/toys....then for a 1 year old dog to walk up to a dog they dont know and try to take something away..then you may be headed to the vet.

A puppy that is forced to 'pay attention' to the signals of other dogs or suffer the consequences....learns very fast.. If someone always run interference for them....they really dont have to pay attention to the warning glance, curled lip or the low growl....

However, it really depends on how much you trust your older dog?
If you beleive that the older dog will kill the puppy...that is one thing. If you believe that the older dog will fairly warn the puppy....then either bark or chase-off the puppy ...I would let them.

·
Lost Her Mind
3,517 Posts
I agree with letting your older dog correct the younger one. Mine are pretty close in age (only a couple of months) but when we got our female (she's actually older) she would want to play WAY MORE than my male. He would get crabby and growling with her, which worried me. But everyone said just to let them work it out, which they did! Now she backs off a lot more if he wants his space, and he is more accepting of play when she wants to. :)

As for the bones, I would have them in their crates to chew.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts