Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's a while away but was just wondering if I were to get a second dog in the future would it be best to get one of the same sex or the opposite as have heard different stories. Our dog is a male.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
What I have always heard is that opposites do better, so a male and female, but I have had both 2 girls and at a different time, 2 males who did wonderfully, especially if there were a few years seperating their age. It really depends on the dogs temperment and age they are put together I would think.

I have two now, only 3 mo apart in age, male & female. They are best buddies and not a problem at all (if you don't count that two can destroy twice as much as a single pup). Love that they can play much harder with each other than I can do and makes country walks twice as much fun.

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I don't think it matters unless you prefer not to spay/neuter your dogs. If you want to keep them intact I personally would have the same sex.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I was advised to get opposite sex dogs by a trainer. I guess they have different territorial issues. Two of the same gender get in each others way, and two of the opposite don't overlap so much. It did work better for us. We fostered a female puppy for a month, and she was a thorn in the side of our existing female dog until she left. When Tucker arrived, it took Tess a while to settle in with him, but they do well now.

·
Super Moderator Leader
44,870 Posts
I have one of each, a 3yr.old male and a soon to be 8 yr. old girl. I like having one of each because I like the differences in their personalities.

I know a lot of people that have 2 males and others that have 2 females or more that work out wonderfully for them. It's whatever you prefer really.

·
Registered
850 Posts
I have two now, only 3 mo apart in age, male & female. They are best buddies and not a problem at all (if you don't count that two can destroy twice as much as a single pup). Love that they can play much harder with each other than I can do and makes country walks twice as much fun.
I agree having a male & female combination works great! They wear each other out chasing and wrestling. 7 year old Elliot can still keep up with 4 year old Roxy. When we do our "woods walks" they always walk in formation with Roxy on my left and Elliot on my right.

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
It's a while away but was just wondering if I were to get a second dog in the future would it be best to get one of the same sex or the opposite as have heard different stories. Our dog is a male.

I've always had two males (Except Once)

Females are more trouble attitude wise :)

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When we were a two-dog family, we had one of each. No problems. DD & SIL have two males, they have no problems.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
After I lost Cassie and Max came home, I had three intact makes. No problems at all.
Max is now two and a half and I'm neutering both him and Billy. Doggie day care is now requiring it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone, I think we will go for a girl but anything could happen. Also another quick question. When it's time to get a second golden we were thinking of rescuing one anyway do I look for one younger than boomah or doesn't age matter, I was just thinking with the dominating stage and all.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I think that's best decided based on your existing dogs temperament. I would usually say younger, but lots of dogs will accept an older "intruder" quite readily. If you go with a rescue, tell the people all about your dog now and make sure they meet in person before you're committed to the new dog. Good luck--keep us posted!

·
Registered
48 Posts
We've always had 2 females at a time ( 5 total over the years ) and have never had an issue.

We're bringing in a 3rd and it will be a female also.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts