Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sebastian is my almost 14 wk old boy. When he came here at almost 7 wks we started with my 10 yr old golden Daisy hating him. Now she tolerates him most of the time. He's a bit bull headed and all boy, very active and wild. She was always the submissive out of my three (other 2 went to the rainbow bridge) and now she seems to be going overboard having someone to boss around.

My daughter, who lives in an apt in the back, decided she needed her own puppy and brought home one the same age as Sebastian that is a pit mix. He's sweet. However, when the two are together, they are terrors. I've limited their play time because Sebastian isn't interested in training when the other pup is around. All he wants to do is play fight. I try to redirect them to play Frisbee or balls and all they want to do is chew each other.

A couple of times the play fight has turned violent. Today was a knock down drag out. They played too rough and turned into a pull apart blood sport when Wrabbit (daughter's dog) got his tooth caught on Sebastian's lip. We had to pry Sebastian's mouth off Wrabbit head. When it was all done and they were calmed, they wanted to play again. There was also a time last week, they were biting each others "special parts" and my daughter's dog got hurt that required a vet. Neither pup is backing down and wants to be the submissive. I've limited their play time.

As much as I thought it was great for him to have a playmate, I'm getting tired of it. Can't let Daisy (my older golden) out with the boys, because the two of them gain up on her and she tries to kill them. I just got her to like Sebastian and she is not tolerating another puppy in the yard. Daisy will tolerate Wrabbit if she goes out on her own (without Sebastian), she just can't stand the wild boys together. It has become a rotating dog house. Got to always watch who's in the back yard. Since Sebastian is too little to go out front by himself, he's always leash walked (that he is far from mastering). He thinks we have a rotating door.

Our quiet house with all the well trained goldens is being taken over by refereeing pups and watching for jealousy between them all. I give each dog their special alone time and all are vying for my attention. Sometimes it looks like Daisy is jealous that Sebastian is playing with Wrabbit and not her, yet she doesn't want to pay with him because he's wild and doesn't play right. She tries sometimes, most of the time just growls at him to stay away.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
I'm not sure how long the two puppies are allowed to play together as at that age it probably would not take too long for it too escalate. Plus they are both going to start teething and I would imagine their mouths hurt. Puppies can be relentless at this age. I started teaching settle down and gentle right away with my second one and limited play times with the other dog. They also were taught gentle and put in time outs as soon as it got too rough.

Since Daisy and Sebastian live together you may want to focus on making that a happy relationship and arrange short 'play' dates with Wrabbit when both both you and your daughter can be there to referee. Let Daisy teach Sebastian how to play with her along with some assistance from you.

With my two they wrestle/play fight with each other all the time. With other dogs the older is more likely to wrestle since he thinks every dog wants to play. The younger only plays with dogs who run and chase and avoids dogs who wrestle/rough house. So meshing play styles is important. Not sure if this helps.

Reactions: twillobee

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Daisy tries to get him to play. He minds her pretty well. Most of the time she just growls and he backs off. She'll put a toy in his mouth to "tug a war". I'll throw their toys and they each run. Sebastian gets wild real quick. We do have time out when he gets overly excited.

The two boys are suppose to only be out when supervised. I was working at the time and my daughter was watching them. I work from home and heard it escalate in my office. Wasn't able to jump up at that point because I had a customer on the phone. I was so aggravated because I kept warning them that they are wild boys and can't just be let to play wild by themselves yet. Sebastian likes Wrabbit because he can be a little wilder with him than Daisy and they play rough.

I really need to get Daisy more use to Wrabbit because I let her out one night and didn't know Wrabbit was back there and she terrified him because he was in the backyard. My daughter is gone a lot and her pup sits in the backyard a lot. Unfortunately, the back is the only place with free roam for any the puppies. So she brought a dog to our property and exactly what I didn't want to happen is it's up to me to take care of him.

When the boys are playing I take Daisy out for walks on the property. That's our special time and we can see the little boys in the fenced part. She likes that because when we take Sebastian, it takes longer and we do a lot of stops. I taught Daisy to "come make that boy walk" when Sebastian plants his butt and won't move. She'll go and grab whatever he found to flop himself down and walk away with it. She'll even pick up a stick to get him to chase her so he'll move. I've also started doing training treats for walking. Really helps, never needed it with the others. I've tried a couple other tricks from the boards...one being the walk like your late for a bus. Last few days has been much better leash walking.

Thanks for letting me vent yesterday. I can't wait until I can let all three out to play and just let them romp. I suspect that one day my daughter will just leave her dog here so he really needs to worked into our group. She just got a 2nd job and will be gone pretty much the whole day. I just wasn't expecting to raise two wild pups at one time with an older dog.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Wow. That sounds challenging. Is there anyway that your daughter can put Wrabbit in an x-pen/crate and you can let him out when you're ready to deal with 1-3 dogs in yard or a play session. Might be a little stressful on her pup too if he's by himself in yard a lot. He probably sees of yours and it's like 'oh boy' someone to play and interact with him. Good on you for taking on another pup and prepping to take him for good at some point too. I thought two 7months apart were challenging.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts