Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After getting Sebastian's diagnosis of the severe hip dysplasia at 7 months old last week, he's gotten worse. He is no longer allowed to play with his buddy because they play rough and run. Something as simple as them tumbling will knock the joint out and he can't walk on the leg.

The vet wants him out for limited walks, no play, no running, no fast walking and the worse for him is no best buddy. No pasture, friends or fun. He's going stir crazy. She told me to take him for short walks only to keep the muscle built up in his hip. He whines all the time wanting our walks.

Watching him lean against the wall to stand is heartbreaking. He still wants to do all the fun things and can't understand why we can't. We are hoping if we give him a few months that it will get him through the crisis stage. When he is really hurting he just watches his bud Rabbit play. He'll do good for a bit then it's like the leg catches out of place and he can't get it back right.

Where I live there is only one orthopaedic vet within a 2 hour drive and he has quite a waiting list. I didn't expect him to go down so quick. His little mind is still a wild puppy and his leg just won't keep up until they want to hold off to do the surgery. I can't even get an estimated cost until they redo all the tests. I know it's awful thinking of the costs, however, I'm still paying for Max's cancer treatment (that wiped out our emergency fund). I was going to attempt to do fundraising for his surgery, just not sure how to go about it. I've dealt with health issues with all my golden just wasn't prepared for something this major on a puppy.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm so worried about his long term quality of life. Also trying to get him to work on more mind game training while he's suppose to be resting. He's such a smart boy with energy to burn and not sure how to to it with all his restrictions.

·
Premium Member
18,425 Posts
I know it must be so frustrating for him and hard for you to watch. Is there anywhere you could take him swimming? That would burn some energy.

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I still let him swim in the pond. That's suppose to be the best exercise for him. She wants calm controlled walks and he still wants to go fast. That's probably because of me. When he was little and would keep stopping so I followed someone advise here and started walking fast. He loved it and prefers that speed.

Has anyone used the treadmill on slow? Thought that would give him the slow calm walks, along with the limited outdoors. Still have to keep him fit and strong muscle tone to prep for surgery in a couple of months.

I did find out if I let him out back with just Daisy he doesn't play wild. Just basic exploring, which is okay. He won't stress himself out too much. Not as much fun as his buddy, but at least not stuck in the house all the time.

I'm working on more training tricks to keep him engaged and his mind sharp. So glad I already taught him to use the ramp to get into the car. Thought it was going to be for his "old" age.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
Are you on the orthopedic surgeon's waiting list? If not, I would get on it. A orthopedic surgeon can tell you so much better about options and proper exercising of your puppy.
Small controlled walks are not really enough to keep the muscle mass up. Yes, swimming is a great alternative. Is your pup on any supplements yet, such as glucosamine/chondroitin, fish oil? If not, you might want to start, it won't help with the luxating hip joint but it will protect the other joints and also at least slow down the damage to the hip joint.

But, seriously, if you can afford it - get on the orthopedic surgeon's list.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Sebastian

After getting Sebastian's diagnosis of the severe hip dysplasia at 7 months old last week, he's gotten worse. He is no longer allowed to play with his buddy because they play rough and run. Something as simple as them tumbling will knock the joint out and he can't walk on the leg.

The vet wants him out for limited walks, no play, no running, no fast walking and the worse for him is no best buddy. No pasture, friends or fun. He's going stir crazy. She told me to take him for short walks only to keep the muscle built up in his hip. He whines all the time wanting our walks.

Watching him lean against the wall to stand is heartbreaking. He still wants to do all the fun things and can't understand why we can't. We are hoping if we give him a few months that it will get him through the crisis stage. When he is really hurting he just watches his bud Rabbit play. He'll do good for a bit then it's like the leg catches out of place and he can't get it back right.

Where I live there is only one orthopaedic vet within a 2 hour drive and he has quite a waiting list. I didn't expect him to go down so quick. His little mind is still a wild puppy and his leg just won't keep up until they want to hold off to do the surgery. I can't even get an estimated cost until they redo all the tests. I know it's awful thinking of the costs, however, I'm still paying for Max's cancer treatment (that wiped out our emergency fund). I was going to attempt to do fundraising for his surgery, just not sure how to go about it. I've dealt with health issues with all my golden just wasn't prepared for something this major on a puppy.

Thanks for letting me vent. I'm so worried about his long term quality of life. Also trying to get him to work on more mind game training while he's suppose to be resting. He's such a smart boy with energy to burn and not sure how to to it with all his restrictions.
I agree completely with CGriffin that you should get on the waiting list for the orthopedic surgeon. Check with whoever would do surgery and see if they have Care Credit. That is the way we were able to afford Smooch and Snobear's astronomical surgeries.
I can't imagine what you are going through and how heartbreaking it must be.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'm sorry if this was mentioned elsewhere already, but you might contact the person that you got him from and ask for your money back to help pay for the surgeries. A decent breeder will give you the refund.
I'm so sorry you and he are going through this.

·
twillobee
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've already got him on the supplement of glucosamine and fish oil. I'm on the waiting list for the orthopedic, even though no I can't afford it. I'll worry about that when I get the appointment. No, I'll never get help from the breeder (he was a fraud).

I didn't understand the total rest because originally it was only no running or jumping. So I don't know if its because his leg has become more unstable and she's wanting the inflammation to heal some. I thought originally our goal was to build those muscles so he would be better able to handle the surgery.

My little wild man did a teenage thing and ran out the back door today. Seen a squirrel and I watched his leg go down when he turned too quick. He had a problem getting back up then he came limping back to me. That kind of thing is probably why she wants controlled walks. Good thing we just got the recall down to where I whistled and he came right back.

He was having best bud withdrawals so I let Rabbit come on our walk with us. Had to keep them on short leashes and I walked in the middle to prevent them from bumping each other. He seemed happier, not great since they really wanted to play. Better than nothing so he should be happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts