Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have wanted a dog for as long as I can remember, especially a golden retriever. I live in Southwest FL (Fort Myers, Naples, Estero area) and have spent multiple days looking for breeders, facebook groups, and adoptable websites and have found nothing. I would be willing to drive a distance (probably four hours if I had to). I of course would want to adopt if I could but there is nothing out there. The only dogs I was coming across was 8-10 years old. I personally would want a dog that is a little younger. I would be fine with an adult dog but would ideally want a puppy. Ive been waiting for ages to get a dog, as I am now just finishing up with college and cannot seem to find anything. I also am finding wait lists for many breeders and some wait lists seem like they could be up to 6 months to a year. Maybe I just have to have more patience but I was looking to get a dog sooner. It also seems like the puppies from breeders go so fast. Has anyone gotten their golden from a pet-shop, if so how was that experience? Also if you don't mind sharing, how much did you pay for your golden, wether you got them from a breeder, pet shop, or adopted? Lastly, I've become so desperate I started looking on Craigslist but Ive heard that can be an unreliable, bad place to get your dog from. Thanks for reading this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator Leader
53,481 Posts
Welcome!

I moved your thread into the Choosing a GR Breeder and puppy section so you would get more views and replies.

You may want to check with the GRCA Club for a Breeder referral while you're waiting for referrals.

You may want to extend your search to neighboring States too. It's fairly easy to bring a pup home on a flight.

Good luck with your search.

·
Registered
9,653 Posts
Don't get desperate to get a puppy. That's when you'll fall victim to multiple scams out there. ESPECIALLY in FL, there are so many CL scammers, stealing photos and posting availability when there in reality are not any available GR puppies in FL unless it's a last minute falling off a list. Instead, find a good breeder and just wait for puppy to be available. I know instant gratification is a real desire but feeding it won't pay off for you. You're starting a transition to adulthood and getting settled in your new life is a full time thing, bringing a pup into the mix now won't be great for either of you.
There's a south FL breeder list here, just put that term in the search bar. Contact those people. Wait on a puppy whose life was seriously thought about and planned for before the breeding ever happened.

·
Registered
5,295 Posts
Welcome to the forum. If you get a puppy from CL, a backyard breeder, puppy broker, or pet store you are taking a big risk for getting a puppy with bad health issues. We see posts all the time about puppies with hip and elbow problems that will live with pain all their lives and require expensive surgeries. There are also heartbreaking posts about puppies dying from a genetic heart condition called SAS. Finding a reputable breeder who follows the Golden Retriever Club of America's Code of Ethics can greatly reduce the risk of getting a sick puppy. If you find a potential breeder you should verify on the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals -- OFA that the required health clearances were done on the parents of the future litter. Someone here can help you do the verifications. I paid $2100 in North Carolina 3 years ago for my well bred Rukie. We have had no health problems at all. A well bred dog is worth the wait. He has a great temperament, is smart, and was everything we wanted in a Golden. Unfortunately right now the wait may be longer than normal due to the COVID driven demand exceeding the supply. Best wishes on your search!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.